Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys here's the deal.

My supra has not blown real heat since I bought it a few years ago and now since I have some free time on my hands, I figured it's time to fix it.
Now instead of just pulling out the entire dash right away and just replacing it I figured I'de try to brainstorm up any other possible ways to unplug it. (Added to the fact that a new on is around $300.00 or so)

The only idea I've come up with so far would be to get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with dilluted acid (perhaps HCL?), drop a bilge pump in the bucket, then use a hose to connect the output of the pump to the intake of the heater core, then run a hose from the output of the heater core back into the bucket?

I figured if perhaps this was run long enough it would eventually eat through the clog? However the flaw to this would be that the acid could also eat through the heater core itself right?

SOO..
Let me know if you guys have any other ideas on what I could do alternatively to replacing the core entirely.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
find out what the heater core is made of.... aluminum and copper most likely, so you should be able to find a chemical that is compatible with them but not with whatever you suspect is clogging it. Doubt you have a clog though.

Have you looked at the valve? how about the T-stat, how hot does your car run normally?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
98mkiv said:
Have you looked at the valve? how about the T-stat, how hot does your car run normally?

Well here's the deal, I did take the dash out once and took the heater core out completely, made sure all the fins were clear of debris and put a hose to one end with the valve open. There was SOME flow but seemed a little weak, figured that it should at least give me SOME heat (on a cold day, the heater doesn't seem like it does anything).

I don't think it's the servo motors that open up the core either because I tested the one that controls the heater core's valve and it worked fine.

I don't think it's the T-stat either because the car warms up fine and the "General Public" water temp guage is dead center.

Any other ideas?

Also for suspect clogs, the only thing I can come up with would be the oxidation that happens from the minerals in non-distilled water (unless a previous owner did something completely moronic). So that would cause calcium build up correct?

·
Registered
814 Posts
How hard and time consuming is taking out the entire dash? ive been wanting to take mine out to get rid of the heater core.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not hard if you just take your time. Don't remember how long it took me the first time I did it but it's by no means quick. I believe it took me between 4-5 hours (making notes so I wouldn't forget where things came from).

So you're getting rid of your heater core huh?... Does it still work? :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
yea it works 100%...im just trying to lighten my car up as much as possible n get rid of nething unnecessary as i dont drive the car much...BUT i do wanna keep it just incase i ever put it back in ;-) sorry bro!

·
I love sequentials!
2,578 Posts
Before you waste countless hours

See if the inlet and outlet hoses feel about the same to the touch, after the car is fully warmed up

Then hook up a garden hose to the inlet and a 'dump' hose to the outlet and see how freely the water flows

Post results

1 - 10 of 10 Posts