Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
turbo noob
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there different version of the mkiv tt caliper pistons? I recently got a quote from one of the vendor on here. I was told that the original price of $18.91 for the tt piston is now around $38 each after doing a vin# check on my car. I thought all mkiv tt supra caliper are the same. I have a 1995 hardtop tt. thanks

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
The pistons on all TT cars are the same, 38mm as measured by me (been a while).
The rears are also 38mm and if I remember correctly they use the same piston as the fronts.
Now I am not sure if they have them, last I checked someone at the dealer told me they were either discontinued, hard to get or some other crap like that.
Why are you replacing it? Is it damaged? I got 21 year old pistons to literally look like a mirror

·
turbo noob
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not sure...im restoring my car right now and planning to fully rebuild my caliper. My mechanic told me a few years back that he felt my car's brakes isnt great compare to the other supra. The parts is still avaliable, but was told tgat the caliper piston according to my vin# is going to be double.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Not sure...im restoring my car right now and planning to fully rebuild my caliper. My mechanic told me a few years back that he felt my car's brakes isnt great compare to the other supra. The parts is still avaliable, but was told tgat the caliper piston according to my vin# is going to be double.

I think your parts guy had thw wrong part number originally.
You can clean and polish them to look exactly as new.

·
turbo noob
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know how many piston are going to be mess up. What would you recommend ordering?

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
I dont know how many piston are going to be mess up. What would you recommend ordering?

First thing remove the pistons and inspect the outside for pitting. If they are dirty brake cleaner them and use a toothbrush to clean them and then a microfiber cloth and brake cleaner to polish them heavily. Then you can inspect them again. The outside of each piston should be mirror smooth. Then order this:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?884689-Centric-TT-caliper-rebuild-kit#/enter
After that you can see if you want to buy new pad shims and retaining clips. But they usually never need replacing unless they are rusted/corroded

1 - 6 of 6 Posts