Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Former 1.5jz-Powered MKIV
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys...I bought a used completed set of TT brake calipers, before I installed on the car, I did a completed rebuilt on all 4 calipers. My issue is that I have 1 that is leaking which is the front passenger side, I took it apart again and rebuilt it, this time there's less fluid leaking. I'm starting to get freakin frustrated, is there something I'm missing here? I cleaned it up good and inspect it for the 2nd time before I rebuilt it and everything seem to be fine. I tried looking at the TSRM, but it's not really giving me any help.

Any input would be appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Hope you didnt split the caliper...no real reason to.

Where is it leaking? If its around the seals, you have have some damage to the piston itself or inside the caliper causing the leakage. You sure everything has been checked, cleaned up, and assembled the proper way with the correct assembly grease, etc.

·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reponses..

No I didn't split the caliper... I did a search too, but there wasn't too much info on problems after the built. The brake caliper is leaking from the rear pistons, it's brand new seals, and I did use the lube that came with the rebuilt kit on the piston.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
are you sure that the piston itself is free of any defects?

They are $12 a peice, it may be worth ordering new pistons for the ones that are leaking and see if that rules it out.

·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also not to mention that the pistons looked really clean, no signs of rust or anything, so I'm just confused right now....I asked a friend who works at toyota to see if they could do the rebuilt, but it seems that they dont do a compression check on it. I'm pretty sure I did everything right because I rebuilt the other 3 and it's find, no leaks what so ever....

·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WhiteBlazze said:
are you sure that the piston itself is free of any defects?

They are $12 a peice, it may be worth ordering new pistons for the ones that are leaking and see if that rules it out.

I'll give that a shot, I was about to order a new caliper from the dealer...but I'll try this first, hopefully it'll fix the problem....

·
Registered
749 Posts
Probably a good idea to hone the cylinder bore as well. Any sort of scratch on the cylinder will cause it to leak. Cylinder hones are fairly cheap. You may need a 90 degree drill drive or flexy drive to get it in the housing. You may also just have a defective seal despite being new.

·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont think it's a defective seals tho, I replaced it twice and it still yields the same results.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
normore said:
Probably a good idea to hone the cylinder bore as well. Any sort of scratch on the cylinder will cause it to leak. Cylinder hones are fairly cheap. You may need a 90 degree drill drive or flexy drive to get it in the housing. You may also just have a defective seal despite being new.

do not hone the bore. period.

you can clean the bore with some very fine scotch brite. The rears are aluminum. Honing them needs to be done professionally or you will ruin the bore.

If the unit is leaking you likely have a bad seal or a bad piston. Not much more it can be. Take some pix, tell us where the leak is, both sides? one side? how did you discover the leak?

There is no reasonable way to pressure test it, as you need the fluid in there, and you need something between the pads or pistons......

very simple system. Key is to make sure everything is very very clean.

a picture of the bore and the piston on the leaking side would be most helpful.

-M

·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will get a picture of it up soon...But I kept everything clean during the rebult process(went through 8 pairs of gloves)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts