Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to do a quick brake job today and get some new pads on my 87 turbo. Did the drivers side and it went nice and easy. I go to the passenger side... caliper is stuck on the sliding pin / bushing thing. I pulled the thing off the car so I could attempt to try and free the caliper up. Well using the tools available I don't see this happening. This thing is stuck like crap to the torque place. I think its going to need to be replaced. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone know of a place near tacoma, wa that may have one of these new or used? Thanks.

:confused:

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you remove the brake line from the shock? just pry it up if you did.
After attempting to work with this thing on the car I completely removed it. I disconnected the brake line from the caliper and pulled it off the car. The caliper is still attached to the torque plate. The slider bushing that the caliper is hinged on is stuck and will not slide apart. I didn't realize the problem until I attempted to install the brake pads and I couldn't get the pads to fit due to the thing not sliding.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=BR&P=23

In the illustration its the caliper and torque plate. They are supposed to slide pretty easily apart. I guess after however many years this thing decided it was done sliding.

· Registered
39 Posts
soak the everliving crap outta it with pb blaster,... a little heat should free everything..... if that doesent work, mount her back up and start by prying if that doesent work get a decent sized hammer out and work her up.... you should get a hardware kit and be ready to spend the money on new slide pins...... you did remove the cap off the end with the little rubber nub on it correct?

· "Yeah! Take the lemons.."
1,022 Posts
I'm not meaning to steal the thread but has anyone found a good way to bleed brakes solo?

I have a self $5 plastic bleeder from Kragen, it works but sometimes it slips off and such..

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same problem on one of mine. I definitely just replaced it.
That's what I did. I got tired of messing with it. I just ordered another one. Hopefully it'll be here this week.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Soak it well and I used a hammer. You must use lithium grease when replacing the brake pads
I've got a huge can of brake caliper grease that I bought back in the day that I use. I also greased up the drivers side slide bushing yesterday after work to make sure that this one doesn't follow the passenger side. My remanufactured caliper I ordered should be here on Monday. Until then it's just sitting on jack stands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.