Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wondering if a stock supra comes with Dot 3 or Dot 4 (is tehre a Dot 5?) brake fluid? Any issues changing to Dot 4? Do I need to somehow get the shop to do a complete drain of the Dot 3 fluid in the system before putting in Dot 4?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I dont know what it came with from the factory I think DOT3. If you want DOT4 then from my understanding you dont have to completely drain the lines. Dot 3 to dot4 is ok, but not the other way around.

Lawrence

·
Registered
575 Posts
My 93.5 owners manual says "SAE J1703 or FMVSS No. 116 DOT 3 Brake Fluid".

That said Valvoline Synpower is generally a good choice unless the car is tracked frequently and the fluid is changed often. It has a high boiling point but is far less hydroscopic than stuff like Motul 600.

DOT 3 & 4 are compatible. DOT 5 (silicon) is a very very bad choice for a performance car.

Mike

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
Here's what you do. Pick up 2 liters of Motul 600 brake fluid (DOT 4, 600+F boiling point). Get a "Mityvac" vacuum pump. Suck all but a small amount of your old brake fluid out of the resevoir. Fill the resevoir up with Motul 600. Start at the pass rear wheel and start pumping the old fluid out with the vac pump. You'll se the color change to clear when you got the new stuff. Tighten the bleeder. Repeat on driver's rear, pass front and finally driver's front.

Ryan

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
There are severl good brake related threads here at SF and over at corner-carvers.com as well. As was mentioned, stay away from 5 as silicon based fluid will trap the water in the lines (since all brake fluid absorbs water) creating pockets.

I was looking for Motul 600 but couldn't find any local before an upcoming autoX. I went with the ATE Blue (just as good as the Motul) and am quite happy. Additionally, the ATE comes in metal containers (brake fluid will absorb water through plastic just sitting on the shelf in your garage. They also make their fluid in blue and gold so you can flush the system and easily tell when you have new fluid at your caliper.

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/fluids.html

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Here is the lazyman's POV.
1. Get speedbleeders
2. Valvoline synthetic - boiling point a little lower than Motul or ATE blue, but will not absorb moisture as those do.

We buy racing BF's because if their boiling point, but ought to consider that fairly quickly, they absorb moisture and their boiling point drops. So unles you are willing to change it somewhat frequently, I think Valvoline is a really nice practical choice - oh.. it's also cheap and found at Autozone

Cheers
Rich B.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
ABS bleeder screw (PLEASE HELP!!!!)

Can anyone help me out with bleeding the ABS on a 97TT??? I don't understand where you are supposed to bleed the dang thing from... Anyone who has acutally done this please help! Previous thread on this topic describing this location aren't making any sense or they are for 93.5-96 which have slightly different braking systems...

Here is my current thread on this topic:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277802

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
97TT6SP said:
Can anyone help me out with bleeding the ABS on a 97TT??? I don't understand where you are supposed to bleed the dang thing from... Anyone who has acutally done this please help! Previous thread on this topic describing this location aren't making any sense or they are for 93.5-96 which have slightly different braking systems...

Here is my current thread on this topic:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277802
The way I understood it was to have the key in the ignition and turned to accessory - that was supposed to bleed the ABS as well. That's how I did mine, but I have no way to prove it worked.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have to activate the ABS by removing the relay and then short out pins 1 and 2. That causes the ABS to activate. Ishii has explained in the past that there is a bleeder valve but I can't find it or don't understand what he ment. I think I'll PM him and see what he says...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts