Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I did a bit of searching and didn't find anything particularly close to what I was really questioning. So in that case I'm just gonna ask in this thread I've created, a few questions.

My driver side caliper is stuck OR the brake line is, causing the vehicle to pull to the left (not heavily; but enough to ruin the drive over a certain mph speed) on top of completely burning up the rotor/pad.
Once I check to see what the issue really is, would I be better off trying to refurbish and repair calipers/rotors/lines/etc? Or should I simply purchase an entirely new system? Of course I want to be frugal with funds so I'm NOT trying to buy a new system, I'm just asking if I'd be better off just purchasing it now and I want the vehicle to not be immobile for too long, as it is my daily.

Rotors...and what is left of my brake pads.
Seeing as only the driver side front rotor is getting burned up to the point of heating my entire rim and hub to a crisp, what should I do? Will this cause an uneven wear on the rotors or am I just worrying too much about this bit (still a beginner; sorry).

My brake pads I'm sure are non-existent but then again I'm only 5% sure about that as I haven't checked. Although I'm saying that because upon stopping that's all I hear (the brakes) BUT I am not 100% sure if it's actually a caliper/pad issue, the stuck driver side issue or if the lines are just horrible. Essentially I feel like I'm not gonna stop when I'm trying to slow down from 40 mph. It's that bad, even when I'm trying to put the brake pedal to the floor.

Rough ride.
Now I'm not 100% on this just yet and I'll have to test this a few more times but I don't have much of the ability to until I take care of the above braking issues; While driving I get a bit of a rough ride at certain points, almost like the right side of the car is bouncing from bubbles on the tire but that's absolutely impossible as I just put on a fresh set of 235/40/18 tires w/ fresh rims, BRAND NEW, nothings wrong with them which leads to me question suspension probably? Any input? Could be roads but it never hurts to ask.

Edit: Everything is stock aside from rims/tires and a replaced muffler since the old one was rotted out.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
First and foremost you will want to fix the brake issue. Don't drive it while the front brakes are so bad.

You will at minimum need pads.

It could be a bad line, stuck caliper, bad master, bad ABS unit... You will need to tear into it and start working on it to find out.

Start off just bleeding the lines really well. If that fails get the OEM caliper rebuild kit (new rubber, lube for the slides). If that fails replace the rubber line to the hardline... keep going up the system until you find the issue.

Once your brakes are fixed then see how the ride is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the helpful reply aaronc222, I will certainly not be driving it until I fix the issue so no worries there.
Pads, got it; I'll search for some today. Hopefully I won't have to tear the system apart too much and hopefully its just the caliper or line, either way time to find out and I'll do all that you said.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
With the Supra being a 30 year old car these days you will need to get used to tearing it apart.

Just a cheap set of pads and rotors to get you on the road again can normally be found at your neighborhood parts store (Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reillys, NAPA... whatever you have in OR).

The line can be had from RockAuto.com. They currently have a closeout deal on an off brand for less than $4. Otherwise it's about $15. OR you can upgrade the lines for around $125 for all 4 from a variety of sources.

I actually had the same issue with my front passenger side although not as bad. Greasing the slide pins on the caliper and changing the line fixed 90% of it but I still suspect an issue with the ABS.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet deal I'll be checking out the issue today so I will update this thread as I go along until it's fixed. Still have yet to search for the pads, completely forgot the other day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts