Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...turns on when breaking or taking a turn. It's the same set of lights in the dash that turn on when you lift on the parking break. This just started recently, anyone know why?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Brake fluid low warning, does the same for oil level

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
Lance J said:
Brake fluid low warning, does the same for oil level
i second that, the brake fluid level is very touchy - might only need a tiny bit

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any specific brand of break fluid I should use, or any off the shelf will do?

thanks for the replys!

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
IntheSearch said:
Is there any specific brand of break fluid I should use, or any off the shelf will do?

thanks for the replys!
dont go and buy brake fluid! it could be that you need to replace your rotors/pads... when the piston moves out, it creates more volume in the brake fluid system... also note that brake fluid is not something that is used or disappears... if the brake fluid went low, there is a reason, find that reason, deal with it, and then top off the brake fluid

also if your rotors/pads are fine, and you dont have any leaks, only put a small amount of brake fluid in, because when you go to change ur pads/rotors next time and you push in the pistons on the caliper, your resiviour will overflow and spill it every where... its a great hastle to have to overbleed your brakes as well, very time consuming

make sure u read and understand my entire post, itll save you alot of hassle in the long run

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My breaks do need to be changed, would you recommend I do them my self? I do have the instructions from MKIV.COM or should I just have a shop do it for me?

BTW, my car only has 33K miles on it, should I replace anything else other then the pads?

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
id suggest doing a full tune up not due to miles but due to the age of the car... check the accessory belt for cracking, timing belt, pcv valve, replace spark plugs, check all fuses, check all your fluids, replace trans fluid if your auto, check your power steering fluid, clean your air filter or replace it...

if ur experienced with a wrench... you will be able to do them urself...

but if you do not feel safe doing it, i dont suggest it because brakes are very important

all you need to do is remove the wheel... then go behind the caliper, there will be 2 bolts, you remove them and the caliper comes off...

to get the rotors off, you will notice there are two holes on the hub, find some bolts that fit (i believe its an 10mmx1.25) and screw them in, the rotor comes off

go to a auto store (murrays, autozone, or whatever parts stores you have locally) and they will be able to resurface the rotors for ya

get the pads of your choice.. there is a metal paper clip lookin thing u take off, then there are 2 rods you remove and the pads fall right out of the caliper... replace using new shims, antisqueal lube, and new pads... then put everything back together in the opposite order you removed it

takes roughly 45min (more like 1-2hrs since its your first time doing this) but after a couple times and investing in a good compressor and air tools the times will drop significantly... i am able to do my brakes in 15 min (not including time to get rotors resurfaced or time it takes me to jack up car)

EDIT::: sorry just remembered that the supra doesnt use a paper clip looking mechanism to hold in the pads... its actually a large metal clip (+ shape from top, S shape from side) that you have to force to unclip... i forget sometimes since my car has sooo much downtime

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
swearitsstock said:
investing in a good compressor and air tools the times will drop significantly...
I'm going to do this my self this weekend, I've already done some work on my car and feel pretty confident about changing the breaks. I've been looking into some air tools, I plan to do a lot of the maintenance my self, should save a lot of time!!

Thanks bro!

·
Registered
839 Posts
since your going to do it yourself. Please dont go buy some cheapass brake pads. Get factory ones or hawks or something with a name. Aside from napa brand, wagner thermo quiet or some b.s. oriellys autozone crap. You get what you pay for especially if you dont want to here squeeks and wines. This goes for any part on your car, brake rotors included. just a for-warning. Good luck on your brake job. Get some antisieze and put it on the back of the pads (part that touches the caliper NOT the rotor). This will help with squeeks as well.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
IntheSearch said:
My breaks do need to be changed, would you recommend I do them my self? I do have the instructions from MKIV.COM or should I just have a shop do it for me?

BTW, my car only has 33K miles on it, should I replace anything else other then the pads?
Invest in the FSM and do simple stuff like this yourself. Pads are dead simple and rotors are pretty easy as well.
Use "Brake Quiet" on the back of the pads and get new shim sets when you replace the pads. Both of these help with the squealing that often occurs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
While your there, you may as well upgrade to a carbon race brake kit and 8 piston calipers. Or you could just strap a bunch of pillows to your front bumper. :sadance:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts