Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I am an arms deala!
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was wondering what brake pads you would recommend to put on the Supra. I was gonna get the TRD HPZ pads but, no one has any, and Jay Marks says they haven't had any for about a year. So I need suggestion on a good street/track pad that won't chew up my stock rotors. Also I would prefer a set of pads that didn't have a whole lot of squel(sp?) on them.

Thanks for the help,

Jesse Bergman

R

·
0 Posts
Well, i just got Carbotech Panther Plus pads for the front , so i'll let you know how they work out( i have'nt put 'em on yet though). I've had the carbotech panthers on my supercharged crx for over a year and i've been on Laguna Seca and Sears Point with the same set of pads!! Also, i drive the car on the street alot ,and i'm impressed on how well they have held up. I'll have to wait and see how they hold up on a much heavier car like the Supra. So far, they have been a great street/track combo pad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Brake pads

Trust me, stick with the stock.
Call Jeff at Jay Mark Toyota (18003272087) tell him Z sent you
Will give a good price.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The stock bads are really good, they just can't handle the heat that builds up from heavy braking on a track. If you are just driving it on the street stick w/ sotck. if you plan on doing any track events, go w/ the panther plus.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
OK, I am waiting for my brake pads to give up the ghost and am looking again. I guess my question is what is it about the Panther Plus pad that you like? Operating temp starts at 200 degrees up to about 1100 or 1200 which I like the high operating temp. Down low in temp how do they bite and react? I do a mix of driving that makes pad selection hard. I do more Solo 2 than anything (once maybe twice a month) but I also do track events with 15 to 20 minute lapping sessions so I put some heat into the rotors too. I know I am not going to Hawk Blues since they eat rotors for breakfast. How are the Panther Plus on rotors? I don't want something that will lock up in deep braking on Solo 2. Yeah I know we have ABS but you know what I mean. I got a little momentary lock up today at a Solo 2 at this one spot under heavy braking on undulating part of the course.
Barry H. 94ttsupra

R

·
0 Posts
If you want one pad to do everything, your going to have to sacrafice something(either initial cold stoping "bite"or the repeted high speed braking). I chose to have a little less initial "bite" that the stock pads have in favor of a more track oriented pad like the Carbotech Panther Plus. It's like choosing between a more track oriented suspension or a street setup. Some people can live with a stiffer setup and some cant. If you read "EVO" magazine, you'll understand exactly what i'm talking about.....

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
bwill said:
...what is it about the Panther Plus pad that you like?
Stopping power and 'normal' rotor life.

Down low in temp how do they bite and react? I do a mix of driving that makes pad selection hard.
In daily-driving traffic, they heat up to temp in about 2 normal stops. For those first two stops, you have to press the brake pedal a bit harder than normal.

How are the Panther Plus on rotors?
They're very easy on rotors - this is one of their best features.

I don't want something that will lock up in deep braking on Solo 2.
These Panther Plus pads grab very hard. On the other hand, learning to feather the brake is an essential roadracing skill. Many pro roadracers run without abs... In pro roadracing vehicle, if you don't feather the brake in each turn, hard braking once can turn $1000 in tires to trash. In our abs-equipped mkiv's, flat-spotting tires isn't an issue. You'll quickly learn to press the brakes a bit more softly than normal, since these Panther Plus pads grab so hard.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanks for the info. I trail brake in certain corners so I am famaliar with feathering the brake. Set ups on cars are always a compromise about something. I just didn't want something on the extreme end that is marginal on the street on Solo 2 course. I also don't want to glaze a set of pads during track events. Sounds like a pad worth consideration. Next rotors will be OEM with cyro treatment. The very brief lockup I experience yesterday in one section was out of the ordinary but it was a fast section that required some hard braking. Was a lot of fun.
Barry H. 94ttsupra

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Phil, did you get to Road Atlanta? How did the pads hold up there?

If hes only doing solo2, the stock pads should be fine. They are a lot cheaper at least.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I agree if I was doing Solo 2 only then stock pads would be fine. I did two track events this year and loved them. I did them twenty years ago at Roebling Road in Savannah. I have gotten a taste for them again, hence my need for a pad that will "kind of" work for both. By the way Grant and Phil, I put up on MKIV a inquiry as to whether any Supra owners in Al., Ga., Tenn. might be interested in renting the Talladega Grand Prix Raceway (not the Superspeedway) in Talladega, Al. It is 1.35 mile road course with no armco, tires walls, gravel traps to chew up the car. So that could include Fla. or Miss. folks too. The event I went to two weekends ago cost $150 which included liability insurance and an ambulance for the event. I got an hour and a half of track time and could have done an hour more if I wanted to. I have had an interest or two expressed by others. Any takers? Check out the track at www.tgprace.com

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
430 miles is kinda long for me to drive, but if its only $150 for 3 hours of track time (sat and sun?) that sounds nice. I dunno if I could justify driving thru Atlanta w/o going to Road Atlanta :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yeah Grant that is kind of a long drive. The track event I went to at Talladega Grand Prix Raceway was a one day event and the Shelby club put it on. We had the track from 8 to 5pm. Enough people had mechanical problems or left for the day that by 1:30 pm they announced that you could drive as much as you want, no more run groups! Sucked a tank of gas in about an hour of track time. WOT. Anyway, Road Atlanta is a great power, high speed track. Turn 12 is both exhilerating and a potential car crunching screw up with the concrete walls in that turn (with a lovely 110 foot drop down the hill approaching it, don't lift!). Saw some cars eat it there two weekends ago at the SCCA American Road Race of Champions. Turns three and four, fast sweepers can be pinball alley if you get off of your rythmn. I want to drive there but unless you can show a SCCA Club Racing license, they are going to make you drive in Novice class the first time you go. That means almost $300 bucks and you find yourself behind a pace car at 80mph on the back straight. Talking about torture! But I can see why. Last November I heard it was sleeting (yep) during the track day and needless to say a few cars left there with some altered bodywork. After the "Novice" day though, you get put into intermediate, and as I understand it, passing and WOT on the back and front straights allowed. In 2003 though there will be a new FIA and FIM approved 2.3 mile sixteen turn road course in Birmingham that will be world class. 45 feet wide, fifty foot elevation changes, sixteen turns, approximately 30million dollar facility, not some old course patched up to meet new standards. By the way that track is only 10 miles from my house (heh heh) and the guy who owns the track (wrote the check out of his pocket for it) is a PCA member so there will be track days.That would be worth the drive for sure. Long damn message sorry.
Barry H.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts