Supra Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Brake pads

I feel that your selection of brake friciton compound should be based on two primary factors:

(1) the type of driving you will be doing
(2) the type of vehicle you are driving

On the Supra Turbo, if you are simply cruising around on the streets, and driving in a laid-back manner...basically commuting, then you will get the best pad and rotor life from a set of OEM Toyota brake pads. These pads will give you good cold stopping power, and sufficient fade resistance for this type of normal driving.

For those of your with modified Turbo's, such as Phil, who drive in a spirited manner, you'll probably want something more than the OE pads, both in terms of sheer braking torque (Cf), fade resistance, and pedal feel, etc. This is where the Panther Plus comes into play.

The Panther Plus is a ceramic-based brake friction compound with a very broad temperature range of 150F-1300F. The fade resistance is approximately double that of the OE Supra pad, which is good to about 650F. Even below 150F, the Panther Plus has very good cold intial bite, and will provide a safe, consistent, reliable feel and stopping power. The Panther Plus is also very rotor friendly, considering the braking torque it generates. The dust is about 15% more than the OE Supra pad, and is non-corrosive and cleans off the wheels very easily with just a wipe with a terry cotton towel.

While the Panther Plus was engineered as a track/race pad for lighter vehicles, since it is very streetable, it performs very well on heavier, fast vehicles such as the Supra Turbo and Acura NSX for street use.

For more information, please visit our website at www.carbotecheng.com - or send me e-mail at [email protected] .

With Best Regards,

Andie Lin

·
Registered
478 Posts
Anyone use EBC pads? They claim relatively dust free race pads, longest lasting race pad, and hard bite. From .34-.46mu coefficient of friction(good). Withstands up to 1600F with out fading.

www.ebc-brakes.com/autopads.htm

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hey Suprat,
There is a thread in tech section on EBC that I started with the same question. The answer is for Supras they are no good at least for track use. Jeff Watson tested some out for somebody and just about caused a fire. The pads started smoking (not dusting) and delaminated. Somebody else responded that they experienced the same thing. I know some guys with turbo and supercharged miatas(obviously a lot lighter car). At first they liked them but now tell me that they aren't going to buy them again. They had been using them for track events.Looks like EBC just hadn't figured out the right pad and constructrion for our heavier, and heavy braking Supras.
Barry H. 94 ttsupra 6sp.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts