Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know where to post this but this would logically seem like the best place. I'm not a suspension or braking pro....but I want to upgrade my supra TT brake pads to something that has a high initial bite, less dust, and semi quiet. I currently have EBC red and not very happy with the performance or bite. I've read up on hawk HPS and getting mixed reviews. Some like it and some hate it saying it has poor initial bite. I like the grabby feel. I drove my friends stock STi and it was so nice and grabby but I'm guessing it has to do with the boost and master cylinder plus the brembos.

Are there any other pads out there superior to EBC and Hawk?

Thanks guys

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
What do you use the car for? Is it mostly street miles with spirited driving at times, or are you doing autocross or track days?

When I bought my car it had the Hawk HP+ pads. I did plenty of street driving with them and thought they were great. Except for dust. These were also fine for autocross as well. I did my first HPDE with the HP+ pads and they did fine as well...but I wasn't going all that fast or braking very hard.

After two more track days I was driving well beyond what the HP+ pads were designed for and have since switched to various other pads for track use.
-Dan

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its mostly street driving...but I'll be drag racing and sometimes go 100+ on the freeway when racing street bikes so I want the confidence of stopping. Right now when I get on the brakes it doesn't give me the feeling of confidence and seems like losing control at times.

So basically street/strip

Also I just order some goodridge SS brake lines and plan to flush out system with some DOT 4 fluid. But I know the biggest thing is the pad. I hate the weak initial bite I have. I also bedded them according instructions. However I didnt have my rotors turned prior to them because I did not have any warping. But I'm not sure if it needs that surface to break in?

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
For street/strip the HP+ should be just fine. The TT calipers and rotors should have no problem with that kind of environment.

A few notes though...
Bedding in pads is fairly important. You want to start with a clean surface on the rotor. You can have yours turned, use an abrasive, or use a pad that's very abrasive. As it turns out, m favorite way to clean the rotors is to use the Hawk blue pads for a short drive. Below their intended operating temperature they're quite abrasive. Once the rotors are clear of any deposits, follow the bed-in procedure. If the instructions don't give you one, Stoptech has a very nice writeup on their site.

A fluid change is a fine idea. It probably won't change feel at all, but is good maintanence. The SS lines are also helpful in firming up the pedal feel.

So I'd say buy the Hawk Blues from 2jzrx7, and get a set of HP+ pads. I've always been told to use the same pads front and rear, but for a street car what you have on the back is probably almost unimportant. You could probably get some cheap pads from your local parts store to run in back that don't dust very bad, and are nice and quiet.
-Dan

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So do the HP+ have better initial bite then the HPS? I know the dust and noise goes up a bit with them so I want to make sure its does what I want for that sacrifice.

The HAWK blues..are they an all out race pad? lots of noice, dust and rotor wear?

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
I've not used the HPS, so I can't comment on their initial bite. I was really happy with the HP+. Back when I was using these at the end of the straight I was doing just over 140 mph and they hauled the car down just fine.

Have you read many impressions in the regular MKIV forum about brake pads? I'm guessing you'll get a lot more useful information there.

The blues are a race pad. They are pretty hard on rotors if you use them for street driving. If they're at operating temp they are really kind to the rotor. For our cars the blue is a little too low temperature of a pad though. I see them on 240SX's a lot at the track though and they do pretty well. But the dust is really bad (especially when they get wet). Again, I only use them for ~10 miles before installing and bedding in my track pads. They work super well for that.
-Dan

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know if they make it for your Supra, but I bought some Stoptech pads for my MKIII.

Still a couple weeks before I get them though.

From what I've seen/heard/read in RSX forums, they are apparently better all-around than Hawk HP+ or Axxis Ultimates.

They supposedly have:
Less dust
More bite
Higher operating temp than either HP+ or Ultimates.

I can let you know how they are on my Supra, but like I said, they're still a couple weeks away.

I've used both Hawk HP+, Axxis Ultimates, KVR Performance so I think I can provide a good comparison.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A brake supplier mentioned the same thing...the stoptech sport brake pads. Said they were new and didnt have hard results yet..but he mentioned the same qualities. I'd like to hear your results when you put them on. Thanks!

I don't know if they make it for your Supra, but I bought some Stoptech pads for my MKIII.

From what I've seen/heard/read in RSX forums, they are apparently better all-around than Hawk HP+ or Axxis Ultimates.

They supposedly have:
Less dust
More bite

I can let you know how they are on my Supra, but like I said, they're still a couple weeks away.

I've used both Hawk HP+, Axxis Ultimates, KVR Performance so I think I can provide a good comparison.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A brake supplier mentioned the same thing...the stoptech sport brake pads. Said they were new and didnt have hard results yet..but he mentioned the same qualities. I'd like to hear your results when you put them on. Thanks!
I'll be installing them whenever I receive them. But ya unfortunately it's 2 weeks away.

One other brake pad company I'd look into that I've tried is Carbotech.

I ran that on my RSX for Time Attack/Racing last year. Excellent pads. Comes at a higher price though.

I ran the XP8 pads all around. Very good bite, very good feel, excellent modulation, gentle on the rotors and high max operation temperature.
The XP8s were track pads though and are sometimes INCREDIBLY noisy when driven on the street. (this is coming from a person that daily-drives the RSX on the street with no interior/loud exhaust/no stereo, so if I think it's noisy, it's probably unbearable for 99% of people.

However, I was thoroughly impressed with their track pads, I don't think I'd hesitate recommending their street pads.

http://ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp

Looks like their lower-level street pad has similar operating temperatures as the HP+/Ultimates but the AX6 is definitely higher, rated to 1150°F.

·
Registered
13,570 Posts
On my Supra I use the Carbotech XP10's all around and I love them. I had XP8's a couple years ago, they were very good, but I prefer the 10's since for me they hold up better on the track (better high temp fade resistance) even after a lot of hard stops. Mine hardly ever make noise and if they start I do a few hard stops from speed and that stops it...so I think it might be related to the bedding layer wearing or washing away. Even though they are not recommended for the street, I think they work very well and I'm such a lazy ass old guy I just don't want to change pads for an occasional track day...so this wastes money but saves my weary bones. They have great initial bite even when cold, though not as good as stock pads in that category; also very gentle on rotors. I think the dust is low to moderate and is totally non-corrosive and easily washes off with gentle detergent and a super soft brush ...unless you leave it caked on for months, then you'll be polishing.

·
Registered
93 Posts

They supposedly have:
Less dust
More bite

Yeah, after doing some research on the Hawk, Axxis, and Carbotech's, I found the Stoptech Street Performance pads and so far they have excellent reviews. I ordered a set for my WRX, which I auto-x, so I'll let everyone know how they are after the first event.

Supposedly they have great initial bite and heat resistance, and the best part is they are cheap! Much less expensive than the HPS, let alone the HP+. I'm not sure about the Supra, but the Subie guys are eating them up.. hopefully the pads live up to all the hype.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Carbotech XP10 front/XP8, thank you, drive thru. :hail:

If you want top performance, you'll have to put up with some squeak, but it's not that bad after the pads are worn in. I drive this setup at all times includig a few track events. If you're hardcore, go XP12 front/XP10 rear (be warned they're a bit tougher on the rotors).

·
ex BPU'er
5,096 Posts
I'm currently prepping my new-to-me RB 240sx for my first ever HPDE event later this summer. I currently have stock brakes with Brembo rotors. I'm looking for brake pads that are good for both street and track (if possible). I'm not looking to spend exorbitant amount of $. Looking for best bang for your buck pads. From my research, it looks like I'm going to get Hawk HP+... What do you guys think? Ever heard of Porterfield?

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
582 Posts
i run the project mu bforce pads in mine and have been very happy with them, at the track and autox. i have the red stuff in the rear and yea not wont have them any more they squill like mad on the street. i did not get the hawk for the supra because of the mixed reviews, but did get a set for my truck and have been very happy with them. low dust, quiet, however not grabby. but they are truck pads so probably different

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
Anyone ever try Cobalt pads? I have a set sitting here but have never used them. I heard that they will put your head through the windshield...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts