Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I changed out my rear pads with stock toyota parts. At the time I noticed the rotors were at minimum spec so I ordered those. Everything felt fine after the pads, good braking, not squeeling, no noise.

This weekend I changed the rotors. The caliper bolts were a bitch but they eventually came off. I replaced the rotors with stock parts, and torqued everything down to spec. I went for a test drive to make sure things were okay and I hear the slightest sound of drag from the rear wheels. I drove it about 3 miles ( braking every once in a while) and took a look at the rotors. The protective layer of (Aluminum?) was wearing off on both rotors in a striped pattern. I drove another three miles and did a hard brake from about 35 mph. One rotor looks clean and the other still has the striping. I still hear a minor dragging sound.

Should I be concerned, or is this normal with new pads and new rotors?

The pistons moved without much trouble when I put the pads back in after the rotor install, so I don't think they're sticking. Is there some way to confirm this?

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a look at them when I did the rotors and they didn't look bad, but I may give them a quick swipe with sandpaper. So is it safe to say this isn't normal? I'm thinking I may just drive it easy for a week or so to see if they grind down and stop the contact.

·
Registered
458 Posts
They should always be in contact, that's just the way disk brakes are. You've just put new rotors and pads on so everything is back to being as thick as possible, meaning even more contact all the time. If they still feel funny in a week take them out and check them...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts