Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been discussed ad naseum, but here is my question:

Before i POUR money into these brakes, what is the best and most economical way to fix this annoying squeal for good?

I've replaced the pads with vatozone specials (all they had), and the rotors are not warped.

I'm getting a low speed braking squeal. I don't want to band-aid the situation using anti-squeal.

This is mostly the fronts squealing, does anybody know of a specific brand that will stop this? I can buy new pads, no prob, but i don't want to experiment, and i can't handle this squeal!!!

Help please, before i lose what's left of my mind! :)

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Did you properly lube the pads during installation? It sounds like you didn't. You need to get them REALLY greasy. The autoparts guys usually stress this a lot so you don't run into a "Break Squeal Problem". Is there a lip on outside of the rotors? If so, they need to be resurfaced, or ditched for new.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
replace the hardware with the pads, and use brake quite on the backs

it's not a band aid, they do it at every brake place I've seen. The factory usually does it too or uses shims that do the same thing

also, did you properly break them in? the 30/30 routine is necessary if you want the most from your brakes, and you have to at least take the glazing off the rotors. Get em cut everytime you replace pads, even a small amount off will true them up and give a good surface to break into. My bro who's ASE certified brakes and suspension runs even NEW rotors through the lathe before installation...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AGlobalThreat said:
Did you properly lube the pads during installation? It sounds like you didn't. You need to get them REALLY greasy. The autoparts guys usually stress this a lot so you don't run into a "Break Squeal Problem". Is there a lip on outside of the rotors? If so, they need to be resurfaced, or ditched for new.
what made you think i didn't change the brakes correctly? I did lubricate them.

I just want to make sure thers isn't something KNOWN about these brakes that make them squeal, and a known fix i'm missing. I've heard alot about Supra's brakes squealing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poodles said:
replace the hardware with the pads, and use brake quite on the backs

it's not a band aid, they do it at every brake place I've seen. The factory usually does it too or uses shims that do the same thing

also, did you properly break them in? the 30/30 routine is necessary if you want the most from your brakes, and you have to at least take the glazing off the rotors. Get em cut everytime you replace pads, even a small amount off will true them up and give a good surface to break into. My bro who's ASE certified brakes and suspension runs even NEW rotors through the lathe before installation...
Most cars don't need it, but i will give it a try. As long as these pads aren't going to squeal no matter what! I will try to give this thing a brake job again, and see if i can get it quiet.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
ok... quick tips

-remove ALL paint from the side of the friction material, it will squeel as it rubs against the rotors

-chamfer the edges of the pads

-if you don't have your rotors machined, at LEAST use emery cloth on em to get the glaze off

I could also be the brand, I knwo some cheapo brand brake pads make tons of noise...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poodles said:
ok... quick tips

-remove ALL paint from the side of the friction material, it will squeel as it rubs against the rotors

-chamfer the edges of the pads

-if you don't have your rotors machined, at LEAST use emery cloth on em to get the glaze off

I could also be the brand, I knwo some cheapo brand brake pads make tons of noise...
Oh, i plan on doing a complete brake job, i just wanted to know if there are any known supra brake noise problems. I will try all these suggestions this weekend. Progress report soon!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok here are the facts...

these guys are on the right track but this will just be simple and straight foward.

1. DONT BUY AUTOZONE ELCHEAP'OS spend an extra 10 bucks and get a good quality set from a brake specialty shop or napa. Ceramic pads are the best they are quiet, dont squeel like semi-metalic, and almost zero brake dust makes for cleaning our sawblades a hell of a lot easier. Not all brake pads are created equal.

2. have the rotors turned b4 you put new pads on.

3. install new pads w/shims if you still have them or get them from toyota. if you dont have them you can use brake quiet spray on or from the tube.

4. Have a can of brake cleaner handy b4 you put pads in place spray them to clean the pad surface just in case you got some oil on them/spray the rotors down to clean the grease from them as well.

5. Clean the bolts and hardware lubricate the slide-pins and such so your brakes wont grab.

6. Push the caliper piston back in (make sure the other side is not loose or you will pust it out).

7. Bolt it all back together

8. Brake the pads in about 8-10 agressive stops from about 40mph will do it, if you turned the rotors too your brakes will be very hot!!! dont go grabbing them

I garantee if you follow these instructions you will notice abig differance in your life and performance from your brakes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ohh and i almost forgot about AUTO ZONE PADS.... it is a known fact that it is very common for them to squeek

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
PROPER break in procedure is 30/30

30 stops from 30mph do it pretty hard, but don't try to lock em

let em cool a bit though between stops...

·
Banned
77 Posts
what about eBay rotors? are they acceptable? I'd like to replace the whole kit and kaboodle while I'm down there.

Drilled or Slotted? Or Both?

Do SS lines make a big difference?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
if your stock rotors are in spec and can be cut, use em, as they are far better quality than 99% of the ebay rotors...

SS lines make a difference, heck even stock replacements would make a difference, since they aren't as old and worn...

The calipers are the worry points, make sure the slides are good, the pistons are good, and make sure you get good brake pads...hell, the dealer sells em pretty cheap too...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Where can you get ceramic brake pad. Most autoparts store don't have supra ceramic pad.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
metallics are excellent too...but the damn dust sucks

ceramics are low dust, but high performance pads like that generally squeel, and it's not because anything is wrong, it's just the nature of a really good almost race pad...

·
Registered
596 Posts
i have the ebay setup, works great, had for about a year, i push the brakes quite often, no probs. and for the record, my semi-metallic pads dont squel

·
Stock Twins King
4,551 Posts
OK, this is even a dumber question. What exactly causes the chirping squealing anyways? IS it the pads slightly rubbing on the rotor? My brakes squeal just cruising! I can live with them squealing when barking, but I can't live with it when I am just cruising, quite annoying~!

I am blaming my race pads (Carbotech) All my parts otherwise are Toyota, new rotors, new shims, new dust cups, new springs. Broken in properly. What else is better other than standard Anti-Sqeal goop you put on the back of the pads? And is that where the squealing is?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts