Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changed my brakes a few weeks and they've been squealing. they only squeal once the brakes get warmer (4-5 miles of driving) and usually just before coming to a stop.

1. brake lube
i took the pads out today and put more brake lube on. took it around the block and they squeal *worse* now.

2. missing pad spacers
these are the little things that slide over the anti-squeal shim and i'm missing them.

- will their absence cause squealing?

3. anti-squeal shim vs inner/outer anti-squeal shim
i received inner & outer anti-squeal shims from elmhurst... i just looked in the FSM and see there's only an anti-squeal shim for turbos; NAs use the inner/outer set-up.

- is the presence of both causing this horrible squealing?
- if so, do i need to re-order the turbo kit? or can i just use the outer anti-squeal shim?

4. sandpaper
i haven't tried sanding the rotors yet. if i were to do this, what grade of sandpaper and how rough do i want it?

thanks,
chuck

·
OCC
897 Posts
Few reasons why you're getting the squeal:

1. If the rotors are not replaced or resurfaced, the pads have difficulty in 'bedding in'. Sanding the rotor a bit may help break the 'glaze'.

2. Brake lube... what are you using here? Brand? Is it something meant for 'anti-squeal'?

3. Missing spacer... gotta have that. It's part of the factory's way of controlling squeal.

sushi

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
carendt242 said:
changed my brakes a few weeks and they've been squealing. they only squeal once the brakes get warmer (4-5 miles of driving) and usually just before coming to a stop.

1. brake lube
i took the pads out today and put more brake lube on. took it around the block and they squeal *worse* now.

This is a typical symptom for new brakes.
Did you put in new shims>
"lube" ? Are you talking about something like "Brake Quiet"?
Use something like that specific for squeal. I prefer the spray over the grease (it's easier and cheaper).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts