Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 Supra/non-turbo and wondering if I'm diagnosing this problem correctly. The light on the dash went on about a week ago indicating there was a brake light problem.
I changed the brake bulbs, parking bulbs, and reverse bulbs and the light on the dash still comes on when I hit the brake. So my question is could the next step be to change the brake switch?
If so, how hard/easy is it to change the switch and does anyone have a quick write up?

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
If the switch was bad, none of the brake lights would work.

Are you sure you used the correct bulbs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake switch? (update)

Last night I changed the brake switch and the brake lights still do not work. Any suggestions on the what my next step should be? I also noticed now the indicator light (brake lights not work) on the dash is on when I start the car instead of when I step on the brake.

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
There's a relay panel for the brake lights. That's about all I know about it but somoen else here had a similar issue and it was that board. Check the FS/Wanted section.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well same symptoms I was having a few months ago. Due to leaky hatch, water seaped into the back area where the brake light housings are located and got into the yellow box labeled, "Lamp Failure". Go double check that yellow box and it may be your problem as well. I had to change it out with one from the parts car, then BINGO! lights were operable.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
i had the same problem... my light bulb blew and the light came on.. make sure you buy the right bulbs they are 1157. i just changed them all.. also after i changed it it still pulled the light and some codes...came out to be my alternator was dying.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Problem There Is The Light Failure Sensor Or Might Also Be Calle Lamp Failure Sensor. Its On The Driver Side Tail Light. I Bought That Sensor New For 80 Dollars. And Bought An Extra At The Junkyard For 20.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Open up the tail light failure module and check the solder points. Some of mine were cracked after water got in. I resoldered them a few months ago and all was fixed.

The dash light has started coming on again recently tho, doh, but all my lights still work. Meh, I'll fix it eventually...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I opened the hatch lastnight and as CaptainT7m said " the hatch was leaking"
So tonight I will check the lamp failure box to see if that needs to be replaced and Let you know what I find out. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey I called Toyota about the lamp failure module and it's not 80 dollars it's $169where did you find one for 80 bc I need one yesterday!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts