Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 single turbo, 6speed. Since I have purchased the car, the brakes feel very soft. My only reference is my BMW 540i which weights 3800lbs which stop on a dime. This is considerably softer. It almost feels like I don't have power brakes. I checked the basic things. Rotors and pads look fine. I just changed brake fluids and made sure it was bled right with no air. They are still soft. Could it be a master, slave cylinder? brake booster? Are these known problems? The car has 95,000 miles. Thanks for all inputs.

·
Registered
934 Posts
i can tell you i felt the same. coming from the evo, supra brakes just felt like it had so much air in the line. other supra guys said thats just the way it feels. im used to it now but if u bled it correctly with fresh fluid, then its just the supra.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
With all other factors being equal, Supra brakes are rather soft. My DD is a Altezza. On the weekends I try to drive the Supra and that's the first thing that hits me is the brakes are very different. Come Monday, I'm pulling my head out of the windshield on the first stop.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Same thing for me. The car brakes really well, but it just doesnt have the best pedal feel (my fathers daily drive 1995 ls400 has better brake feedback). When I got my car it had aftermarket pads, which had noticibly better feel than the stock pads. I think they were hawks, and I will be going back to them after I wear out these OEM's, they will squeal, but the extra bite and feel is worth it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Mine has never felt as good as a M3 I drove. New master cylinder, slave, lines, rebuilt calipers, everything but the booster has been gone over. I think it's just the way it is.

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
I can't for the life of me remember where on mkiv.com I saw this, but I remember seeing that aside from the 1998 NAs getting 3-channel instead of 4-channel ABS, the 98 cars also got a larger bore in the master cylinder for increased pedal feel. Maybe elmhurst can get some 98 master cylinders?

·
Registered
473 Posts
i've had the same feeling in my pedal. this winter i changed over to Hawk HPS pads and Goodridge braided lines. I'm hoping this will increase pedal feel. i will post more when i've had a chance to drive the car which will hopefully be soon!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Dj_Diablo said:
I can't for the life of me remember where on mkiv.com I saw this, but I remember seeing that aside from the 1998 NAs getting 3-channel instead of 4-channel ABS, the 98 cars also got a larger bore in the master cylinder for increased pedal feel. Maybe elmhurst can get some 98 master cylinders?
i just spoke to a parts guy from Elmhurst and he stated there is no difference in the size of the bore.

·
Silent
1,412 Posts
Donno if you have already solved this but you can ask curt yourself at [email protected]

Been very good to me in the past with some awful orders I have made.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I'm in the same boat!

I never had this problem on the Evo / X5 4.8

This is what I came up with

------

When the brake master cylinder starts to fail, you'll notice the pedal sinking to the floor as you press on the pedal. Sometimes this failure is intermittent, and sometimes you won't notice it until you're sitting at a standstill holding the brakes. The pedal will start to sink to the floor as the fluid gets past the inner seals of the pump.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf30414.htm

http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/2690T/

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56900&highlight=brake+master

1 - 14 of 14 Posts