Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the rear brakes & rotors. It squeals and it's annoying the hell out of me. It squeals even if i don't use the brakes. The squeals comes and goes.

I've taken it apart to check and see if anything is broken or out of the ordinary so many times. Everything seems normal to me.

Yet it still making these noises when i'm driving & braking.

So I thought it was the bad brake pads and went ahead and replace it with brand new ones again. But to my surprise, it squeals even worst.

What am i doing wrong here? I noticed that my rear driver side brakes have those 2 metal clips thing that goes in between the 2 brake pads that you have to put in before putting the brake caliper down...

what is that? is it the anti-vibration springs?

Reason i ask is because the passenger side rear brakes (the squealing one) doesn't have that....but it doesn't make sense it that's the cause because my brakes was fine before. It just happens after i replaced my rotors and pads.

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
Yea, i got brembo rotors and carbon fibre pads and they used to squeal, i got some shit at autozone some anti squealer and just sprayed it on, haven't had a problem since.

E

·
0 Posts
when u first changed em were they on? cuz ur suppose to take them off the old ones and place them on the new ones. might want to look into that.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Kroze said:
hrm..the brake pads didn't come with any anti-squeal shims.

i'm also missing anti-squeal springs.

is it possible that it's my brake caliper?
Brake pads never come with any of the anti-squeal shims or clips. You need to either reuse your old ones or get new ones from Toyota. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
get the anti squeal spray from autozone like Zi4life978
the pads i bought came with a shim, it should be glued on the back already.
it is smaller than the orignial shims but it works. don't worry if u missing the springs, u could use one on each side and leave one out(if ur left side has both spring jus take one off and put it on the right side).
i was missing it and didn't bother with it, it doesn't even squeal at all, it is the spray, it will stop all the noise unless some other thing is the cause of the noise.

T

·
0 Posts
there nothing wrong with your brakes its common just your missing shim's i still have the same problem haha and that anti squeal shit wears off hella fast -_-

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Brake pads never come with any of the anti-squeal shims or clips. You need to either reuse your old ones or get new ones from Toyota. :)
^ Stock Honda/Acura pads still come with all new anti-squeal shims in the box along with a package of the molykote that you apply to the shims and the pads. The pads also come with new wear indicators riveted on. On the supra you have to order the "shim kits" which have 8 shims (4 each side) and a package of molykote and the separate "fitting kits" which have new pad support plates, 2 wear indicators and 4 anti-squeal "wishbone" springs) to get everything new. That's what I did when I installed non-Toyota performance pads. No noise at all.
There is a different kit for the front and the rear as each kit only includes the shims/hardware for either the front or the rear. Toyota used to include the shims/hardware and lube years back but no longer does.??? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*UPDATE*

I bought the anti-squeal shims & springs from toyota and installed it on the rear brakes.

It helped tremendously with the squeal and not as often as before.

But i'm still getting it here and then only when i'm going @ like 15mph and below. Though it's not as loud as before or happen as often, it's still there.

Should I try the brake squeal spray stuff?

I'm really frustrated now. I took the brakes apart so many times.

1. So far i've replaced the new pads with brand new ones.
2. Replaced the Brake caliper
3. Install anti-squeal shims & springs
4. grease up all the contact points

But it's still doing it though it's not as loud or as often as before.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
check to see if anything is bent or possibly dragging. had that happen to a friend of mine on one of his rear brakes after he went over a curb and bent part of it.

D
0 Posts
Drum pads maybe? Im not sure if you included those in your "Rotor and Pads" replacement.

Although it shouldn't matter if your squealing without breaking, what pads did you use? The more metal that are in the pads the more squeal you will get on breaking.

I assume the anti-squeal spray goes on the back of the pad? Instead of that, you can just use anti-seize on the back of the pads to cut down on chatter.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
SupraMikeCT said:
^ Stock Honda/Acura pads still come with all new anti-squeal shims in the box along with a package of the molykote that you apply to the shims and the pads. The pads also come with new wear indicators riveted on. On the supra you have to order the "shim kits" which have 8 shims (4 each side) and a package of molykote and the separate "fitting kits" which have new pad support plates, 2 wear indicators and 4 anti-squeal "wishbone" springs) to get everything new. That's what I did when I installed non-Toyota performance pads. No noise at all.
There is a different kit for the front and the rear as each kit only includes the shims/hardware for either the front or the rear. Toyota used to include the shims/hardware and lube years back but no longer does.??? :dunno:
Sorry, I meant Toyota pads, not all pads.

Yeah Toyota used to sell the complete brake set with everything, but they stopped doing that and started selling it individually only. Don't know why really, but the prices are still pretty similar.

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
Kroze said:
*UPDATE*

I bought the anti-squeal shims & springs from toyota and installed it on the rear brakes.

It helped tremendously with the squeal and not as often as before.

But i'm still getting it here and then only when i'm going @ like 15mph and below. Though it's not as loud as before or happen as often, it's still there.

Should I try the brake squeal spray stuff?
^ NO, don't use the spray stuff.
Did you apply black molycote to the shim side of the pads, both sides of the 1st shim which is the slotted #1 shim that fits over the brake pad first and to ONLY the 1 side of the #2 solid shim that fits over the slotted shim? NO molycote on the top side of the shim that goes to the piston on the inner pad or the caliper fingers on the outer pad. Make sure your wear indicators on the inner pads are on the bottom and the 2 [wishbone] anti-squeal springs are installed.
~ mike

·
Registered
429 Posts
Kroze said:
What am i doing wrong here? I noticed that my rear driver side brakes have those 2 metal clips thing that goes in between the 2 brake pads that you have to put in before putting the brake caliper down...

Last time i did my brakes(about 5000 miles ago) i got rid of those litle clip things because i was too lazy to figure out how they went back in. My car doesnt make a sound...

So that shouldnt make a difference...

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
Kroze said:
I recently replaced the rear brakes & rotors. It squeals and it's annoying the hell out of me. It squeals even if i don't use the brakes. The squeals comes and goes.

Yet it still making these noises when i'm driving & braking.

Reason i ask is because the passenger side rear brakes (the squealing one) doesn't have that....but it doesn't make sense it that's the cause because my brakes was fine before. It just happens after i replaced my rotors and pads.[/QUOTE

"What am i doing wrong here?
1-- I noticed that my rear driver side brakes have those 2 metal clips thing that goes in between the 2 brake pads that you have to put in before putting the brake caliper down..."

2-- It squeals even if i don't use the brakes.

3-- Reason i ask is because the passenger side rear brakes (the squealing one) doesn't have that.....

^ You need to install the missing pad support plates in the caliper.

FROM TSRM page BR-4 under troubleshooting; problem "Squealing and squeaking noise when brakes are NOT applied ( your #2 ) > a possible cause is "missing or improper installation of disc pad support plates.
The pad support plates keeps the pads from moving around (floating) by providing tension on the tabs of the pads and also prevents the iron of the calipers from binding or rusting to the metal tabs of the brake pads if the car is not used for a while. It's a stainless steel support with wings that act like a spring to take up the slack between the brake pads and the caliper and it also allows the brake pad's tabs to slide in/out more easily than if it was iron to steel.
So install new pad support plates that are missing and I'm sure your problem will go away.
~ mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts