Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I just bought this car about a week ago and the brake pedal is really light. I have to pump the brakes everytime I come to a stop. I was told by the guy that I bought it from that the brakes just needed to be bled. Being as how I have experienced that before I though, ok no big deal. So I went to bleed the breaks today and they pump up nice and stiff when the car is off, but when I start it after bleeding there is no pressure at all. So I am thinking my next step is the brake master cylinder?? I fifure it is either that or the brake booster......I hope its not the brake booster. Is there any way for me to actually single out the master or the booster so that I am not just throwing money at the car?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

·
Registered
61 Posts
well if the brakes are tight with the car off and light when running sounds to me that the booster is working fine....How many times did you bleed your brakes and did you do all fourbrakes?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bled them 3 times on each. and yes I did all 4 brakes starting with the rear passenger , then rear driver, etc....... What do you think?

·
tire killer
437 Posts
when my master cylinder died i counldnt get the brakes to get a firm pedal. have you driven the car since bleeding them?

if the booster is bad you have a hard pedal. due to the fact that there is no assist.
if the cylinder is bad you cant build/maintaine pressure. due to the cup seals being shot/rolling over.

i would check for leaks.

-shane

side note: did you let the master cylinder resivor get really low? cuz that can get air pockets in the cylinder and then you need to bench bleed it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there were no leaks that I could see, and the resivour was completely full , and I was refilling along with the bleeding. Sounds like I am replacing the master cylinder tomorrow. Thanks for the insight guys.

-Nick

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wooohooooo, after alot of crap my brakes are finally working properly......I had to replace the rotor, pads, calipers all the way around and opted for some goodrich brake lines. Damn car stops on a dime now. I think the cause was a mixture of the old original calipers and the nasty old brake hoses that were on there.

-Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts