Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FeaturesLanding

What do you think? Are the days of the clutch numbered? I know everyone here knows about this subject. I'ts not something new. But for me, it kills me when I see a sports car with a slushbox instead of a manual. I think the next generation of drivers are just getting lazier and lazier. I think nothing beats that feeling when you're shifting through the gears yourself, and you feel that connection to the car. I prefer driving my car, than my car driving me.
 

·
Iridium Member
Joined
·
192 Posts
I cant see them completely eliminating clutches but you never know. The trannies get smarter every year. Personally, I'll never own another automatic unless its attached to a truck or an extremely high powered drag car. A properly setup auto will almost always be better than a manual performance wise but its just not the same experience. If they stop making manual equipped vehicles, i will just have to keep buying older cars :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,335 Posts
I'm sure we all agree, manuals are just funner, however, autos are no longer slushboxes. You're looking at a sacrifice of less than 5% power to the wheels on some of the better autos, compared to a manual. Manuals and autos each have their performance benefits, but the auto is getting more all the time, and eliminating the performance drawbacks it's been known for, while still being much more practical than a manual.

I can easily see the world being clutchless (new cars, at least). Maybe not in 20 years, but most likely in 40.
 

·
Never narc'd on nobody
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
F1 wannabes can preach clutchless manuals all they want.....it still ain't the same. If you enjoy a real manual transmission, there is no substitute, even if other options perform better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Look I know EXACTLY where you are coming from but consider this.

80 years ago, one might have been called a pussy if you had, electric starters, automatic chokes, and automatic ign timing advance/retard mechanisms.

I bet if you tried to tell a 60's muscle car guy, ECUs was the next manly thing in the automotive world, you would get your face laughed at.

True manual transmissions are slow to shift and are the cause of too many idiot warranty issues. In 15 years, it will be looked upon as some silly ancient device like points style gear driven distributor.
Northof49 said:
F1 wannabes can preach clutchless manuals all they want.....it still ain't the same. If you enjoy a real manual transmission, there is no substitute, even if other options perform better.
 

·
Thinking Person
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Current 6-speed uto tranny offerings from Toyota are dynamite. They weigh less, are more efficient, and have fewer moving parts than their 5-speed predecessors.

Only trouble with current slushboxes is their stock shifting speed. If that could be quickened, then the paddle-shifting autobox would be the way to go pretty soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Depends on the type of auto. Autos that still use clutches can shift many times faster than a human can do.

I think you are talking about the traditional torque convertor type autos

Bean said:
Current 6-speed uto tranny offerings from Toyota are dynamite. They weigh less, are more efficient, and have fewer moving parts than their 5-speed predecessors.

Only trouble with current slushboxes is their stock shifting speed. If that could be quickened, then the paddle-shifting autobox would be the way to go pretty soon.
 

·
Never narc'd on nobody
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
Jeff92se said:
Look I know EXACTLY where you are coming from but consider this.

80 years ago, one might have been called a pussy if you had, electric starters, automatic chokes, and automatic ign timing advance/retard mechanisms.

I bet if you tried to tell a 60's muscle car guy, ECUs was the next manly thing in the automotive world, you would get your face laughed at.

True manual transmissions are slow to shift and are the cause of too many idiot warranty issues. In 15 years, it will be looked upon as some silly ancient device like points style gear driven distributor.
Ya.....and I like new cars as much as the next guy.

But driving something like a 1950 Chevy pickup with starter engagment pedal, no synchro's, 3 on the tree and a manual choke still gives me a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment my brand new truck can't and never will.....

I wouldn't give the guy who can tune his own ECU any more credit that the guy who can setup his own triple webers.....
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top