Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a set of brand new drag radials....do you have to use them for a certain miles to get the optimum traction? Or, is it ok for me to just go to the track, swap out to my dr's, do a burnout, and start racing? Thanks.

·
Registered
904 Posts
PsyKotiC RydeR said:
For a set of brand new drag radials....do you have to use them for a certain miles to get the optimum traction? Or, is it ok for me to just go to the track, swap out to my dr's, do a burnout, and start racing? Thanks.
Break in period? :wtflol:

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
there really is no break in period. I hear they get better as they are close to balding though.
If they are BFG's do a nice 2nd gear burnout to get them hot and they will hook hard as hell.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Uh, one of the advantages of running drag radials is you drive to the track on them and save the double tire change for home! Dont have to carry them there either. I drive 90 miles each way on mine.

And if regular radials need heat cycled - which they do - then drag radials need heat cycled too! For the tire's sake, not necessarily for traction.

Al

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm not positive it's there anymore, but the BFG website used to explain a necessary heat cycle for the BFG drag radials. It stated to do a burnout with the new tires to get them up to operating temperature then to unmount the wheels and allow the tires to cool not resting on the tread for a period of 24 hours. This isn't my advice, it was or is BFG's. I've always followed it.

John H

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
itr206 said:
there really is no break in period. I hear they get better as they are close to balding though.
If they are BFG's do a nice 2nd gear burnout to get them hot and they will hook hard as hell.

He'd better have a line-loc or the clutch might not like the 2nd gear burnout.

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
SpoolnV8 said:
sitting in some water he will be fine ;)
sure he will, but his clutch and brakes will not like him very much if he does it often..ps, you dont do burnouts in the water box :dunno: you do them right after it... it would be kinda self defeating to do it in a puddle of water..

jay

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
sorry guys I come from Hondas, We do 2nd gear burnouts to get the tires warmed quickly.
I know 1st gear burnouts in my Supra wouldnt be enuff. Dont get no smoke coming out that way. lol

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the difference between doing a burnout in first gear or 2nd gear?

M Miller- I belive I have the same clutch setup as you. HPF feramic, stock FW, and yellow ACT PP. I'm only BPU+ though.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
PsyKotiC RydeR said:
What's the difference between doing a burnout in first gear or 2nd gear?

M Miller- I belive I have the same clutch setup as you. HPF feramic, stock FW, and yellow ACT PP. I'm only BPU+ though.

You will get the tires heated more quickly... That is correct, I did most of the R+D for the feramic clutch... I tried everything with this clutch. I highly recommend a line-lock(titans)... You run the risk of siezing the disk in the burnout box or during the launch. I'm glad to see someone bpu trying this clutch out. I would imagine a long life expectancy. Good luck

Matt

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for taking your time to make out the post for me.:)

School's going to be done within 2 week and I'll find out for sure then.
M Miller said:
You will get the tires heated more quickly... That is correct, I did most of the R+D for the feramic clutch... I tried everything with this clutch. I highly recommend a line-lock(titans)... You run the risk of siezing the disk in the burnout box or during the launch. I'm glad to see someone bpu trying this clutch out. I would imagine a long life expectancy. Good luck

Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts