Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the car went on the dyno. The clutch was just installed and had no miles on it. We did about 14 pulls on the dyno with out breaking in the clutch. Was this a mistake? The paper work said not to drag launch it and not to slip it however it said it was ok to get on it while in gear, so I was under the impression dynoing it was ok. We only dynoed about 630whp. It was just to get the car running correctly until I change over to AEM.

For other users of this clutch, do you hear the flywheel rattle? I have the lighter one and it seems like the longer I drive the car, the louder the rattle noise is. I can hear it a great deal while the car is idle as well as sometimes when I down shift to around 4,000rpms or 5,000rpms and also if begin acceleration slowly from 2,000rpms. Is this normal to be this loud?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the chromoly one and I was told the break in period should be about 2-300 miles because I'm only putting out 440. I'm not to sure about going on the dyno without breaing it in-I wouldn't have done it:1poke: . I do hear a rattle at idle but it is because of the floater disc.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the chromoly one and I was told the break in period should be about 2-300 miles because I'm only putting out 440. I'm not to sure about going on the dyno without breaing it in-I wouldn't have done it:1poke: . I do hear a rattle at idle but it is because of the floater disc.
It is good that I did not get on it while on the road then.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Ehh, the reason for the break-in period is to "wear" down the clutch so the ENTIRE clutch surfaces are in 100% in contact with each other. You can do 1000 dyno pulls on the dyno and if the clutch isn't slipped like it would be driving from a dead stop to 1st gear, it's not broken in.

But, just drive it normally on the street and it will get broken in regardless. That sucker loves to be slipped! I love mine.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ehh, the reason for the break-in period is to "wear" down the clutch so the ENTIRE clutch surfaces are in 100% in contact with each other. You can do 1000 dyno pulls on the dyno and if the clutch isn't slipped like it would be driving from a dead stop to 1st gear, it's not broken in.

But, just drive it normally on the street and it will get broken in regardless. That sucker loves to be slipped! I love mine.
Thanks bud!

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Today the car went on the dyno. The clutch was just installed and had no miles on it. We did about 14 pulls on the dyno with out breaking in the clutch. Was this a mistake? The paper work said not to drag launch it and not to slip it however it said it was ok to get on it while in gear, so I was under the impression dynoing it was ok. We only dynoed about 630whp. It was just to get the car running correctly until I change over to AEM.

For other users of this clutch, do you hear the flywheel rattle? I have the lighter one and it seems like the longer I drive the car, the louder the rattle noise is. I can hear it a great deal while the car is idle as well as sometimes when I down shift to around 4,000rpms or 5,000rpms and also if begin acceleration slowly from 2,000rpms. Is this normal to be this loud?

Thank you all.

Its a little late now to ask that question ....lol. Definitely should have broken it in with a few hundred street miles. RPS will tell you that directly. Too many people spend a ton of money to get great clutches but cant take the little bit of time it takes to get a few hundred miles on them. You just took some life out oif it prematurely by doing that. So just have to be sending it back sooner then normal to get redone . And to get rid of rattle...should have bought the heavier chomoly flywheel :) Otherwise get use to the rattle.

BTW...what needed to be tuned and running correctly before going to the aem? Should have just putted car around a few hundred miles...then put aem in and then had it dynoed :) But thats just me.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Its a little late now to ask that question ....lol. Definitely should have broken it in with a few hundred street miles. RPS will tell you that directly. Too many people spend a ton of money to get great clutches but cant take the little bit of time it takes to get a few hundred miles on them. You just took some life out oif it prematurely by doing that. So just have to be sending it back sooner then normal to get redone . And to get rid of rattle...should have bought the heavier chomoly flywheel :) Otherwise get use to the rattle.

BTW...what needed to be tuned and running correctly before going to the aem? Should have just putted car around a few hundred miles...then put aem in and then had it dynoed :) But thats just me.
The notes that came in the box from the company stated you can get on it however not to drag slip launch it or slip it at all. 500miles is nothing for breaking in a clutch and I wouldn't have a problem doing so if it was said clearly. The rattle is not that bad, not close to the Tilton that I heard.

Very much needed to be tuned. I went from stock to 1000cc injector fuel system and single conversion and so on. All pulls were in the 500whp area with one pull making 630whp, so we did not get on it hard. I also did not get on it on the road where there is more load. I wanted the lighter flywheel for reasons of the shifting style I have.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The notes that came in the box from the company stated you can get on it however not to drag slip launch it or slip it at all. 500miles is nothing for breaking in a clutch and I wouldn't have a problem doing so if it was said clearly. The rattle is not that bad, not close to the Tilton that I heard.
Heres the instructions i got with mine.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Not even a grease print on those instructions Alex....I'm impressed!

Hey Tony, give me a shout you carzy sob!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alex D, that is strange because my paper is different. How long ago did you purchase yours?

·
Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,731 Posts
"Air guns work well on flywheel bolts" - WTF?

I would never use an air tool to torque anything. I hope they are referring to taking the old bolts out!

·
Inline for the win
4,763 Posts
Thats the same paper I got over 2 years ago.

DP

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
I know what the paper says, mine is too greasy to read now, but I'm pretty sure WOTM didn't drive their drag car around town for 500 miles before hitting the strip back when they ran the RPS. I guess I should have just stated Ryan since this was before Cody. What's with the 1000cc injectors??? Aren't you GT47 now?

·
Papichulin
305 Posts
Heres the instructions i got with mine.

Yep! Me too! Same paper... got mine about 6-8months ago.
We did 5-6 dyno passes only. Consistent 660's on last three. Will then do break-in, THEN more tuning at higher boost. No problems. Good Luck with yours 7THSIGN. I bought the 12lb flywheel instead of the 9lb and rattles only slightly on neutral and only with the AC on. I bet tuning idle with the AEM on the street will help it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts