Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have about 200 miles on brembo rotors/hawk pads and i now have this insane loud 4 wheel squeeling noise that only comes under 10 mph to a stop. i took off the pads and applied some pink goop to stop the noise. i spread the goop eveninly across the rear of the pads and the noise is still there and is very embarrasing. i followed the break in period as to brembo since we install many of these at work and never had 1 problem. any input on what to do next. i have a can of [gunk] break quiet that sprays on the rotor but i assume that would wear off fast and bring the noise back soon.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
i have about 200 miles on brembo rotors/hawk pads and i now have this insane loud 4 wheel squeeling noise that only comes under 10 mph to a stop. i took off the pads and applied some pink goop to stop the noise. i spread the goop eveninly across the rear of the pads and the noise is still there and is very embarrasing. i followed the break in period as to brembo since we install many of these at work and never had 1 problem. any input on what to do next. i have a can of [gunk] break quiet that sprays on the rotor but i assume that would wear off fast and bring the noise back soon.
All imho/ymmv:
  1. Yes, the "brake quiet", or any good brake cleaner should take most of the glaze that is causing the noise off your rotors. You *might* also be able to spray the 'brake quiet' directly onto the pads (check directions), and/or use sandpaper to roughen up the surface of the pads. You might also get rid of the glaze by two or three 180mph-0mph stops (see next point #"2)").
  2. Drive yoru car *harder* with those hawk pads, and glaze won't develop in the first place! Those are street/track pads, and are meant to be driven hard. Light stops in daily-driving traffic is a key reason the glaze builds up.
  3. Immediately after you did the break-in drive for those pads, was it noticeably *smoking* from all four corners of the car? If not, you really didn't get them hot enough.
  4. Despite the noise, those pads still *stop* your car well, don't they? As you probably know, stopping power is a BY FAR, the primary factor in evaluating all high-performance pads. Just like the tranny rattle you get when switching to a lightweight flywheel, the noise, dust, etc. of a high performance pad is the price you pay for that extra performance. Imo, you should wear it like a badge of honor, instead of complaining about it. ;)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
What about those thin stainless steel shims that go behind the pads? If those are not installed at all or not installed correctly, I thought it could cause or increase brake squeel. Anybody know if that's right?

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
What about those thin stainless steel shims that go behind the pads? If those are not installed at all or not installed correctly, I thought it could cause or increase brake squeel. Anybody know if that's right?
As far as I know, those shims can help with "clicking" and "howling", but not squeaking/squealing. Squeaking/squealing us usually attributed to glazing on the pads & rotors.

·
Registered
684 Posts
As Phil mentioned, the anti-squeal shims doesn't stop the squealing. I know because I just paid $50 for the whole shim kit with new stock rotors and pads and there is still squealing. :(

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so far the "GUNK BRAND" brake silver spray on rotor stuff has stopped it so far. so it must be the hawk pads squealing on the brembos. im sure this stuff wont last long but it is very min. sqeual at almost a complete stop. next is to chaffer the pads and maybe figure a way of keeping them from glazing. i guess that is why they squeal insanely loud.any other help to keep these things queit as possible.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hawk hp i think ill check my invoice to be sure. now the noise is back after a 100 miles and a few mild stops.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i checked my invoice on my pads and they are hawk hp plus track/sport pads. now can i just swap them out and go to the hawk hps street pads and not have the noise?and will this noise come back like the others ? i found the fronts for 50.00 shipped and the rears were 48.00. good price?hope this will cure the noise issues..... :dunno:

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
HP+ pads are more aggressive because they are intended for race usage. Reminds me of the pads on my friend's 98 Viper GTS, they squeal when coming to a stop, but it's because they are metallic pads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts