Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time for me to start thinking about what exhaust to get... so i am asking every n/a mkiv owner to critique their exhaust. hopefully as well as blacksupra93 did on his intake... there are four different exhausts system that i am considering...

1.) greddy mx - because it's made for the n/a... it looks nice and clean, but not as aggressive as the other ones... it needs one of those intimidating mufflers... i hear the sound is not too loud, which is one thing that i like about it... but how does it sound? not too many people on the forum has this exhaust or if they do, they don't really say much about it... so i'm not sure about it... however i might end up buying this simply because of the fact that i will not lose any low to mid range power.

2.)hks hiper - not the carbon one, because i don't think it'll look too good on a pearl white supra, but i would like to eventually put it on the black supra... anyways i'm talking about the plain old hiper exhaust... not too many people have it these days... i just like how it looks... i don't know how it sounds... and it is pretty cheap.

3.)hks super dragger - thanks to daveh, i really really really like the sound of this exhaust... it looks nice too... however, i think it might end up too loud on my car, and no silencer to quiet it down when i need to... i had too much hassle from the cops in my last car because of exhaust... also, my car is kinda low and i hear that the piping hangs low and i wouldn't want to mess that up. and the large diameter piping still might slow me down. would this one be louder than 95db on an n/a supra?

4.)apex gt-spec - this one is cool too... i don't have a clue how loud it is but i hear from the forum members that it is really loud... can anyone expand on that? a good thing though is that it comes with a silencer... does anyone have any info about the silencer... how much quieter, etc, etc? apex claims that the silencer lowers hp but increases torque... i don't believe it though... any thoughts? it looks cool too... all stainless steel piping, one piece, and exits at an angle... and again it has the large diameter piping that may or may not decrease power. also wondering if this would be louder than 95db with the silencer off on an n/a supra.

if anyone can provide as much info, pics, and if possible sound files or video that displays the looks or the sounds of the exhausts, i would greatly appreciate it. i would even take info about the exhausts not mentioned here.

sorry for making this so long but this kind of money is a lot for me spend... hope you understand and please give as much feedback as possible... thanks for the help... :)

·
road hazard
452 Posts
first off, you need to tell us what you exactly want out of the exhaust. loud or quiet tone? with most of the tt exhausts, you will lose some low end, given the exception of the greddy mx. with pretty much all exhausts, you will gain about the same amount of power overall.

pics can be had at mkiv.com...
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/exhaust/index.html

i have a greddy sp and recommend it for the sound. not too loud but just right at WOT.

i'll try to get a video of my sp tomorrow.

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
would you consider the TRD? Im planning on taking some video tomorrow of that, my cutout, and my purge. ill post it if you want

·
Registered
506 Posts
My advice, to save you a ton of money, is to just take off the muffler. I gained 5 rwhp by doing this, it sounds great, and it only cost me $85 just to have a guy make some pipes to exit out the rear. Just my sggestion.

·
5,059 Posts
I have the GT-Spec I love it. That whole deal with the loss of low end power is bullshit. Yes the car is loud but its not annoying at all. My car sounds exactly like the 7.4L 454's on my dads boat. Its really loud and deep. I feel the car pulling slightly harder top end, it is noticable. The silencer is included and once put in is about as loud as the stock exhaust. I never run with the silencer in though.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't mind having a loud exhaust but my girlfriend and the cops (especially the ones in my area) might... and i do a lot of driving with my girlfriend which is why i am considering the mx and gt-spec (which has the silencer)... but i really like the sound of the super dragger... and yes, 93msb, i might consider the trd but aren't they a little expensive... you have the 2nd gen right? i actually used to like the 1st generation trd exhaust but i hear it doens't make any power... can't wait to hear about that nos man... hope it goes well and be carefull... i don't plan on just taking off the muffler... it sounds cool and it is really cheap but i'd rather get a new exhaust system... by the way, rcgsupra, do you have any pics of it... thanks axion117 for the info. do you have any pics of different angles of the back of your car?

so i guess i make the same overall power with every exhaust... but if i lose some on the low end with some, then does than mean that my car got slower or more peaky (meaning that the powerband got stronger but still more narrow)?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't have any pics right now. Basicly i just unbolted the big muffler, left the cat and two resonators on, and took it to meineke and had a guy weld some pipes together and had him make it so i could just bolt back on the stock muffler for inspection. When i first took it off, i lost some low end and gained some top, when i had the pipes put on i gained low end and top. To give you an idea about the sound, i was actually shocked. I was xpecting it to be really loud and annoying, but it's just a deep quality sound. anyways, my siggestion would be to do this first just to see how it works b/c u might be suprised and it will save you $700.

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
the second gen TRD is $650 form Jay Marks Toyota, 20 bucks shipping for next day(witihn 200 milesof each other). We had some movies done tongiht but the camera forogt to record sound so =( I will try again tomarrow.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks but it doesn't work... it says...

Angelfire does not allow direct linking
from offsite, non-Angelfire pages,
to files hosted on Angelfire.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so many exhausts... o the decisions...

i am now also considering super dragger 2... well that is if it sounds like like the super dragger... it comes with a silencer too... hmmm...

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I think you will be happy with the Dragger 2. The nice thing about it is it's not loud at all, UNTIL you get on it. Then it turns into this fire breathing monster of an exhaust note that is literally the most pleasing sound I've ever heard. I haven't touched my radio since I bought the car! I'm serious! Besides, Supras are built pretty sturdy with an ample amount of sound deadening. When in the car, even at WOT, with the windows up, it isn't too bad. The sound of the exhaust is just overall pleasing. I also like the Apex GT spec. It looks better, IMO, but it's just not as throaty sounding. Deeper maybe, but not as throaty.:)

BTW, you shouldn't let your girlfriend be the deciding factor of what exhaust to get! Once you hear this thing you won't even want to hear what she has to say anyways!:D j/k

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pictures would be really helpful... since most exhausts will give about the same power gains, looks and sound is the critical factor... all i know about the dragger 2 is that it supposedly looks like the super dragger but has smaller diameter piping, smaller muffler, and comes with a silencer... but does it sound like the super dragger?

what rpm can you guys feel the difference than in stock form? are you manual or auto?

much thanks

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'm not sure what the diameter piping is on the Dragger 2. I know it's bigger than my downpipe which is 3". It's got to be 85mm or something. The exhaust doesn't hang too low. Check out their website. I'm sure it has the info.

·
1,005 Posts
go with the hks super dragger exhaust....from what i hear it sounds awesome and quite a few supra owners have it on there cars...

I'm considering either the super dragger or the new hks carbon fibor exhaust/titanium tip exhaust...i think it'll look really nice on a black car...well good luck and tell us what u get:)

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
Judging from the diameter sizes, these are mostly turbo systems. They do look good though;)
Any info on that IS 300? Damn, they even obscured the horsepower specs :(

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the video toysupra1... good quality vid.. by the sound of it your car was still cold when you did it... i think you tried to post two videos before... can you send the other one too? it sounds nice... deep and not too loud... similar to my old 300zx with greddy sp... i think the mx and the sp is the same exact exhaust with just a different tip... still haven't heard much about the dragger 2...

can anyone post vids or send email of their supra with exhaust?

- still undecided :eek: ... thanks

1 - 20 of 84 Posts