Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

BEFORE anyone asks, we just bought this hood from a bodyshop this way. No way in hell I'd let this car's paint look anything worse than it does in these pictures.

after about 2 hours of wetsanding and polishing, we have these 50/50 shots

Basically, I just claybarred the entire hood and re-washed it (prior to taking these pics of course). Then I taped off 2 sections and hit it with m105 and a yellow diamond cut megs pad for 2 passes and the overspray and defects came right out for the most part, but i had to wet-sand and fill in the deep scratches with touch-up paint and then wet sand again. The hood still has some dents in it that I will have my body guy take care of eventually, since I'm a perfectionist on this car and I want everything perfect. I followed up the m105/megs pad with a black ccs pad with some 85rd menzerna. Gave it a nice deep gloss I was looking for. no sealant yet obviously, as I haven't finished the hood yet, but I'm going with some blackfire wet diamond sealant

thanks for looking. I'll have finished product pictures sometime in the next couple of days. I still have a lot more wet sanding/buffing to do.

·
Function over form
2,465 Posts
i've seen a supra with an SS camaro hood before. thought i'd seen it all.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Great work!!! I agree stock is much better!!!

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
Great work man...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
with all that wet sanding you did. are you sure u didnt sand off all the UV protection from the clear coat? i know theres a maximum amount you are allowed to remove when it comes to colorsanding, but you need a mils thickness gauge to determine...

nonetheless it was day and night difference in what the hood was be4 when u got it, to how it ended up after you cut n polished. nice work!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
with all that wet sanding you did. are you sure u didnt sand off all the UV protection from the clear coat? i know theres a maximum amount you are allowed to remove when it comes to colorsanding, but you need a mils thickness gauge to determine...

nonetheless it was day and night difference in what the hood was be4 when u got it, to how it ended up after you cut n polished. nice work!
first off, given the fact this hood was at a point of no return to begin with, i wouldn't care if i did go through the clear coat, if it had one. ;0

it's single stage paint. there is no clear coat. :rockon:

the minimal amount of sanding with such a weak grit and light polishing i did wouldn't have taken enough off, even if it were bc/cc. been doing this for years and have never gone through the clear on a car. i suppose i could, but I always let the customers know the risks when doing so.

thanks for the compliments, and the questions. i suppose i could've mentioned it was single stage, and the fact I've done this for a living in the past and still do it on the side. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts