Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned over 100K and it still has stock struts and springs. Is that the reason why i am experiencing bad enough wheel hop to snap my drive shaft? I am bpu with frount mount. Stock wheels with BFG Street Drag Radials. Are the old shocks my problem? Also I was reading up on all of this and since i broke my drive shaft do i need to worry about my rear end breaking in the next week???

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I dont think you have to worry about getting a new rear end. My friend is on his 3rd driveshaft, and car drives fine. I'd say replace the shocks, since they are kinda old, and they might help with the wheel hop.

Alex

·
Registered
907 Posts
old shocks could be a problem. Look into battleground's (i think thats the name) solution that they have for wheel hop. Looks like it shuold work to me.

Other possibilities are a bad wheel bearing (my problem), loose suspension bolts, bent axles, blown rear, bent suspension parts, etc...

May as well get new suspension anyway so try out some new shock/springs and go from there. Good luck

-Mike

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
MDBlackTT said:
I just turned over 100K and it still has stock struts and springs. Is that the reason why i am experiencing bad enough wheel hop to snap my drive shaft? I am bpu with frount mount. Stock wheels with BFG Street Drag Radials. Are the old shocks my problem? Also I was reading up on all of this and since i broke my drive shaft do i need to worry about my rear end breaking in the next week???
What tire pressure were you running in your drag radials? Trying a lower tire pressure should help.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Just curious, what gear were you in when it happend or did it happen on an upshift(from 1st to second)?

·
Registered
143 Posts
i checked under my car the other day and rotated the DS back and forth.. there seems to be play in my tranny and differencial. what can be wrong? i think that is what breaks my wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
143 Posts
oh yeah and when I let the the clutch pretty fast halfway. I hear metal hitting each other from under my car. it prolly is from my tranny too?
when i shift i hear metal clinking on each other.

i just got the car 3 months ago. and i see a lot of work has to be done to it.

the body is still clean except a ding i just got on the roof when a rock hit it. I was only driving back home on the freeway from the Eiback springs meet in corona, ca.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It happened on the launch at the strip. I experienced bad wheel hop in the burn out box, as the car just wanted to get traction. I might have twisted it there and then snapped it on the launch what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Well you just answered your own question....drag radials at the track...will at some point result in wheel hop....which at some point will twist/break a driveshaft. Simple as that.

Tony

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
Well you just answered your own question....drag radials at the track...will at some point result in wheel hop....which at some point will twist/break a driveshaft. Simple as that.

Tony
With a drag radial properly heated up, you should get hook only and no wheel hop.

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
On a 6 spd........you are 50/50 in the driveshaft twist/break every launch. Key word in the name is "radial" It will at some point happen...trust me at any supra power level. But obviously the more power , the more chance of breaking. But a real agressive launch can do it too anytime. And if its just the driveshaft...no so bad...but if it takes a rear out with it....lots of $$ which could have been avoided by using et street 9 times out of ten. Just have to be very careful with 6spd on radials.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Silver bullet, so you'd recommand using ET's instead of drag radials? I've been snooping around for differences in ET an Dr's...i'm still clueless as to why one could be better than the other. I've heard of success stories from each tire choice.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My buddy has broke 2 driveshafts and 2 rear ends on all seperate occasions !!! Hard ass launching is Terminal to that car with a Non-slip clutch!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
def go with ET streets. almost garenteed to not wheel hop. then u only need to worry about the power breaking the shaft.. not sure, but i think they have alot more traction aswell.

·
cinnamon jelly bean
1,653 Posts
MDBlackTT said:
It happened on the launch at the strip. I experienced bad wheel hop in the burn out box, as the car just wanted to get traction. I might have twisted it there and then snapped it on the launch what do you guys think?
As soon as i read the thread title that was my first guess. 6spd car on drag radials at the track. The stiffer side wall of the radial has a very good chance at shocking the drive train on a nice launch. Eventually the shock from the tire will end up breaking the ds or a rear end. If you have a stock DS though that is the first to go 9 times out of 10. Get some ET Streets for use at the track or just dont try to launch hard on drag radials. Good luck

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Can't bad motor mounts be the cause of some cases of wheel hop as well? I do agree with the DR's being the culprit in this situation though.

·
Looks best in drag
245 Posts
cowboy bebop said:
I thought that worn bushing were the culprit of severe sheel hop? Can anyone confirm it, or correct me where I am wrong?

Eric
The majority of wheelhop problems that occur later in car life are associated almost entirely with worn bushings. Also, worn rubber driveline mounts, i.e. tranny mounts and rear motor mounts will cause this. Even worn bearings in the driveline, like a worn pilot bearing or input shaft bearing can partake in wheelhop. Solution? Solidify the driveline by using urothane busings and a tire that will bite and hold. From my experience a street and strip tire will wheelhop worse than a slick.

Kill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts