Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've snapped one of the corners off of my GTE non-vvti covers. I can't seem to find any non-vvti covers anywhere to purchase, but I have been able to find a few vvti covers. Does anyone know if the vvti valve cover would work without issues? I'm also having trouble finding anyone willing to weld it back together. Any suggestions on how I can get this fixed without spending a ton would be greatly appreciated. See pic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
VVTI Covers will not work. They are not the correct size. as for welding the crack they are cast aluminum which can make it more tricky to weld and how the crack is going right through the gasket area i suspect they may even leak after being welded. I would recommend finding another one.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,311 Posts
VVTI Covers will not work. They are not the correct size. as for welding the crack they are cast aluminum which can make it more tricky to weld and how the crack is going right through the gasket area i suspect they may even leak after being welded. I would recommend finding another one.
100% agreed

Reactions: jonjonmk4

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found two broken corners on a project I just picked up. Homeboy tried to epoxy them back together... no. Luckily I had a second set from the jdm motor. I did notice that these are not readily available on eBay. Maybe give JDM of Cali a call.
Along with the previous reply of it being a difficult repair, that cast aluminum is very porous which makes getting a good weld extremely difficult having soaked up oil it’s whole life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All that to say... nothing is lost if you try to have them welded. I’d just take it to a pro. not your cousin Bobby who can borrow his neighbors welder. 🤠

·
From the land down under
4,105 Posts
I thought that too ^

This seems to happen to quite a few owners, and I presume its caused by over tightening the bolts.

From memory, they only get done up to 6 or 7 in/lbs but I think that often people just automatically use ft/lbs.

Having the small washers is also crucial with the GTE covers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought that too ^

This seems to happen to quite a few owners, and I presume its caused by over tightening the bolts.

From memory, they only get done up to 6 or 7 in/lbs but I think that often people just automatically use ft/lbs.

Having the small washers is also crucial with the GTE covers.
That is exactly what happened. Stupid me read it as 49 ft/lbs in the service manual. The rest is history.:cry:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was aware of the inch lbs, and had replaced valve covers gaskets twice in the past, but mine still cracked like that the last time I did them.
I brought it to a local welder and he fixed my mistake. After that repair I applied torque to that area last, but still evenly across the covers. I also upgraded my torque wrench from a cheap beam style, to a click adjustable wrench made for bicycles.
Zero problems since then

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was aware of the inch lbs, and had replaced valve covers gaskets twice in the past, but mine still cracked like that the last time I did them.
I brought it to a local welder and he fixed my mistake. After that repair I applied torque to that area last, but still evenly across the covers. I also upgraded my torque wrench from a cheap beam style, to a click adjustable wrench made for bicycles.
Zero problems since then

View attachment 251716
Was your valve cover as contaminated with oil as mine is on the under side?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Was your valve cover as contaminated with oil as mine is on the under side?
Mine were worse. Before bringing the cover to the welding shop, I cleaned up up pretty well with solvents and a whatever tools I could find that worked. A competent welder with shop equipment will be able to clean that up just fine, just like they did mine.

I have to believe there is a shop in your area that can do this. But if you find yourself out of luck, and think it will be worthwhile to ship them out, message me and I will send you the info for the shop I used. I'm near Myrtle Beach SC.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welding would be best but possibly JB weld (iron reinforced epoxy cured 24 hours) could work in a pinch if you tighten down the bolts evenly. Putting some Permatex ultra black silicone over the the finished deal could be a insurance policy against failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any idea what the going rate is for this type of work. I found a guy that said he might be able to weld it but he didn’t sound confident about it. He also quoted me $240 which I think might be a little too much.
@BoostPsiKPA @Ryan_F @Halfwalker

·
Boost Junkie
12,527 Posts
A good welder can fix them and be good as new.

Steve

·
Registered
758 Posts
Any idea what the going rate is for this type of work. I found a guy that said he might be able to weld it but he didn’t sound confident about it. He also quoted me $240 which I think might be a little too much.
@BoostPsiKPA @Ryan_F @Halfwalker
No way man. My welder would charge maybe $150 if it was a bad crack into pieces. I believe he did it for around like $60 or so. Granted he did so many of them so it was fairly quick with a jig he made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMG_20200221_115737_01.jpg
IMG_20200221_103046_01.jpg

I weld for a living and do a lot of cast aluminum. While yes the valve covers are not the purest cast, and are saturated with oil. They are definitely weldable without leaks. These are off a vvti 1j.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts