Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of HIDs from a forum member and they were perfect and working when they came out of his car. I drove them over to mine very carefully wrapped in tissues and other really cushioned stuff. I then carefully installed the kit in my car making sure not to bang around the bulbs. After trying to turn the lights on I found out it wasn't working. I pulled the bulbs out and somehow the side brown sleeve that goes over that thin metal piece is broken ON BOTH BULBS!!! WTF happened. Could some sort of electrical surge or problem have caused this or what. I don't see how I could have broke them on install since I was so carefull. Also, with the design of the headlight, there is only one way to put them in. I don't suppose this is fixable huh... :(

·
4 T's and an X
2,119 Posts
I think you are talking about the brown tube along the side and connect to the top. If so, it can catch on the inside of the headlight easily. If the tube is broken, you need new bulbs. What kind of kit did you buy.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ARGHHHH!!!! You figure I would have felt it when I was turning. Its the Phillips.

·
The Old Breed
328 Posts
Is the metal piece inside the brown tube actually broken? or just the brown tube? One of my bulbs has a broken tube but the bulb still works (the metal piece inside is still intact). Check the ballasts or the connections.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
TT Tercel said:
I think you are talking about the brown tube along the side and connect to the top. If so, it can catch on the inside of the headlight easily. If the tube is broken, you need new bulbs. What kind of kit did you buy.

No you do not need new bulbs. That tube is just an insulation. Now if the wire inside is broken then yes you need new bulbs, but I know for a fact that cracked insulation will not kill your bulbs.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that is good news since I think it is still intact. I'll check it out next time I'm at the car. Thanks guys.

·
'95 TT
668 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
Wow, that is good news since I think it is still intact. I'll check it out next time I'm at the car. Thanks guys.
Have you tried swapping the connection? Reversing + and - ?

(where the plug fits into the stock harness)

I know on my kit, I had to actually swap the way it plugged into the stock harness or the bulbs would not light because the polarity was reversed on the plug. If you bought the kit from someone that had a 97-98 supra, and you have a 93-96 or vice versa, that may be the issue you are having...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts