Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as the subject list's, my LSD gave out on me today.. :mad: i rolled into 1st gear, tried to bang 2nd gear and i heard this really loud BANG from underneath the car, and the car didn't go anywhere.. I thought it might have been the clutch, because when i let the clutch out while the car was in gear it wouldn't go anywhere, and the engine would cut out.. which i found very strange. i tried each gear, letting out on the clutch slowly and eventually the car now sits in gear, clutch out and does nothing bit idles as if it were in neutral.. my buddy matt had a look at the car and found while the car is in gear with the clutch out, the driveshaft just spins.. i had a look underneath the car and sure enough, the damn driveshaft is spinning all the way back to the LSD, but the car isn't going anywhere.. i'm assuming it's due to wheel hop and my worn stock suspension.. :( I should have my new set of coilovers within the next few weeks as well.. sucks this happens just before the new suspension shows up!!

i've been doing some research and found that some people are going with the TRD LSD, which is definitely an option at this point.. my buddy offered to help me out with this one (whew!), so we're gonna be pulling the LSD at his garage and rebuilding it ourselves.. but i wanted to ask some folks what are some of the common components in the LSD that go bad? would it be more beneficial to go with a new/used stock LSD or go with the TRD LSD? I found the TRD one on MVP's website for 800 and some change.. a bit expensive, but my goal is to make this a permanent fix..

any advice would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

-jim

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
There are a few threads to go over both the Torsen LSD ( stock ) and the TRD.

I believe that the torsen is better for overall driving and performance.

The TRD is really best for off the line performance, yet doesn't prove great in tracks or street racing.

My opinion would be to stay with the Stock LSD differential and add the Racelogic Traction control system. This would elimante virtually all kick-out of the rear end, and replace the crappy stock Traction control system

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whiteblazze-

thanks for the advice. i'm still doing my research and looking through old threads.. so far it seems like the folks who went with the TRD LSD are liking it.. but i'm looking for "overall driving and performance", as you said.. so i may end up going with the stock setup.. first things first tho, we have to take a look at the rear and find out what parts are needed..

keep the advice comin guys! thanks

-jim

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suprasarecool said:
the TRD LSD will be better than the stock torsen unit in all aspects of racing...

with that said, if you do still want to go with the stock lsd, i have my good condition old one for sale. i went with the TRD LSD instead so i dont have to worry about breaking it and blowing up my pumpkin when i go to the drag strip.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=268716

how do you like the TRD LSD in comparsion to the stock LSD? how's the overall driveability? does it feel much different? thanks for the offer on your stock LSD, man.. i may take you up on it, depending on what we find out when we open up the pumpkin case..

i'm curious as to what parts commonly fail in the stock LSD though..

thanks for the reply, good info!

-jim

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
i didnt notice that much with the trd lsd. obviously when the car would get loose, it wouldnt come out on the left, it would just go straight. it makes a lil noise every now and then (grinding noises) from the clutches. it is much safer in my opinion. i mainly did it for a peace of mind so i dont have to worry about crap breaking and blowing through the pumpkin (1500 dollar part). Common failures for the stock torsen is the spider gears breaking and blowing through the diff. you are very lucky to have no piece fly through the pumpkin and destroy it. my friend broke his torsen and had to replace the entire third member.

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
I have a stock LSd one as well, perfect condtions 30K on it, ready to go!!

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
I am selling the complete Stock unit, without carrier of course

Thanks

DJ

·
Registered
272 Posts
i have a TRD and i love it.
it was the best thing i bought so far
i added some red line diff brake in fluid and i have not heard it make any noises
also my wheel hop went away except on real cold days like in the 50's but either it hooks or spins but its still in controle

hope this helps

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dwsupra - i'm going to hold out for a complete pumpkin, thanks anyway tho.

the flash - thanks for the info, bro. wheel hop has been plagueing (sp?) me for the longest, i'm hoping these hks coilovers i recently picked up will take care of that. as ideal as it would be to get the trd lsd, jspec gears, and set up the rear-end the way i want to, it's not feasible at the moment and probably wouldnt be until sometime later in the year.

so i'm still in the market for a rear-end, preferrably a used, stock, 6spd, decent miles and complete pumpkin. i'm currently working a deal with a fellow forum member, so hopefully this will go through and i'll have my lady in red back up and running! :bigok:

-jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts