1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,265 Posts
Any tire store can do it too.

·
7M Fanatic
3,103 Posts
Probably why you have a broken stud in the first place.
Most tire monkeys use an air impact wrench to run wheel nuts on, then check them for being tight enough with a torque wrench, even though they are way too tight, and over torqued already.
And if one was stressed to the breaking point, the others most likely are already close to that point..

Shame to see a vintage performance car run into the ground by bad maintenance....

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,265 Posts
^ Yep. Don't let tire shops use an impact wrench...always ask for lugnuts to be hand installed/hand tightened. Hell, I don't even bring my Supra to the tire store. I just remove the wheels, throw them in my truck, and deliver them to the tire store for tire mounting and balancing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ Yep. Don't let tire shops use an impact wrench...always ask for lugnuts to be hand installed/hand tightened. Hell, I don't even bring my Supra to the tire store. I just remove the wheels, throw them in my truck, and deliver them to the tire store for tire mounting and balancing.
I will remember that, because I have custom lug nuts

·
Registered
783 Posts
I will remember that, because I have custom lug nuts
100% this.

Hell I am considering buying a tire machine and balancer just because I don't trust any of them with a $3k set of wheels.

·
Registered
668 Posts
in general tire service is done by entry level techs. guys that graduated up from oil changes, you know after you strip x drain plugs they put you on some manual labor tire work

so much to.go wrong..... incorrect weights trashing your rims lip. cutting out your expensive chrome valve stems and replacing with way to long/short stems.

ruining your expensive psi sensor on your gm rims

directional wheels and tires

aligning the dam circle mark on the tire with the valve stem hole

my local shop will let me hover over them and pay cash when they are slow.

a good (safe) bead lock machine is expensive though. I have a basic coats 1010 and you can get most stuff <17" but you have to be very careful w older style machines and use nylon shims etc to protect the rim. plus when you get a machine then everyone all of a sudden wants to stop over with a tire.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh,I have never broken a wheel stud. LIAR!
It's usually the fault of the last 400 pound gorilla that rattled on your wheel nuts.
Got expensive wheels and custom lug nuts? Buy or borrow the correct tools and DIY.
There is the fast way and the right way to replace a wheel stud.You must choose.Put down that hammer!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I do the exact same thing. Hell, if I could afford it, I'd have an alignment rack at home, have yet to find a local place that has any understanding of what "torque spec" means...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh,I have never broken a wheel stud. LIAR!
It's usually the fault of the last 400 pound gorilla that rattled on your wheel nuts.
Got expensive wheels and custom lug nuts? Buy or borrow the correct tools and DIY.
There is the fast way and the right way to replace a wheel stud.You must choose.Put down that hammer!
I don't want to do it myself, I would rather pay a shop, I guess I won't go to discount tire, thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How did you break the stud?
If you have the replacement, take it and the hub to a machine shop and have them press it in.
It's ok to use an impact to put studs on, but turn the pressure down, doesn't need to be full tilt. Just use it to get the bolts on and secure, and then tighten them snug plus a quarter turn. Drive a little bit, make sure they're all tight, all good.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,265 Posts
Just use it to get the bolts on and secure, and then tighten them snug plus a quarter turn. Drive a little bit, make sure they're all tight, all good.
Uh...no. Bruder is correct...tighten them evenly, and torque them with a torque wrench. Retorque after a few drives. "snug plus a quarter turn" is not the proper way to do anything, especially lug nuts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts