Supra Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Uh...no. Bruder is correct...tighten them evenly, and torque them with a torque wrench. Retorque after a few drives. "snug plus a quarter turn" is not the proper way to do anything, especially lug nuts.
That's what I said.
If you keep the impact at full torque and just keep hitting the lugs with it past that range then you are going to shear studs or strip the nuts out.
Impact wrenches have torque settings. Turn it down, do the criss cross pattern, check them, drive, tighten again.
'Snug plus a quarter turn' is almost ideal for lug nuts.
'(Torque spec here) plus a quarter turn' is used in a lot of FSMs (Helms) for torque specs. They want you to get a snug fitment, and then stretch the stud with the quarter turn. Head studs? Wheel studs are similar. If you own a shop, you would do this, because a customer isn't going to come back in 10 minutes to have their car put back on the lift just so you can check their lug nut torque specs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
How did you break the stud?
If you have the replacement, take it and the hub to a machine shop and have them press it in.
It's ok to use an impact to put studs on, but turn the pressure down, doesn't need to be full tilt. Just use it to get the bolts on and secure, and then tighten them snug plus a quarter turn. Drive a little bit, make sure they're all tight, all good.
The shop broke the stud, after installing my new rims. They sent me a new set of custom lugs, but I still have to get the stud replaced, that shop is in another state, so I can't take it back to them for them to fix it for free.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts