Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took the car out for quick cruise did 2 30mph to 80mph pulls in 3rd gear b4 i got home.parked and started hearing bubbling noises comming from the engine bay opend the hood to see the rad overflow tank kinda shaking.lifted the top to see it bubbling.is this normal or show i be worried about something?

· wha huh?
954 Posts
i guess ill jump in with the BHG comment, so...BHG!!!! j/k ing, could be alot of things...read up more about bhg symptoms...its a possibility

· Registered
124 Posts
I had this same problem start happening, and pretty soon it started bubbling just after short drives in the heat, and the car started to overheat as well. Changed the thermostat but the old one ended up being fine, same problem kept happening. After I had a new radiator put in it fixed everything. Might be the same thing for you, or it could be different. It would probably be a good idea to have it checked out soon though if you don't do it yourself.

· Supra Enthusiast
2,525 Posts
I say after you hear the "bubbling" and stuff keep the car on. Pop the hood and watch all over the place for anything odd. I just had a similar problem this week. My temps went sky high and I saw the gauge go through the roof. I parked it on the road and opened the hood and saw that my upper radiator hose had swollen up to about twice it's size and within 10 seconds I had coolant burtsing through the water outlet. After I turned it off and releived the pressure the noise went away and I changed the hose and thermostat. Now everything's back to normal

· JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,975 Posts
Do a block / head test with that colored in the vial stuff just for peace of mind. It would suck to spend money on a radiator and all the other cooling stuff and still over heat. Break out the block tester man!

~scott

· Business Baby
944 Posts
scottiedawg66 said:
Do a block / head test with that colored in the vial stuff just for peace of mind. It would suck to spend money on a radiator and all the other cooling stuff and still over heat. Break out the block tester man!

~scott
My exact thoughts. If it turns yellow, you gota BHG.
If not, could just be the thermostet. They're only 20 bucks, MAX.

· Registered
1,403 Posts
if that's the only symptom, it probably isn't a BHG, but check for other BHG symptoms just in case (gurgling sound behind dash, overheating, oil looks like mud, etc). definitely change the thermostat, it's a $5 part that could melt your engine, I just chane mine every other year for the hell of it (make sure you get a good one tho, you can test in some hot water to make sure it opens). It could be your radiator cap. rad cap is designed to allow water out at a certain pressure and temperature, kinda like a thermostat. They wear out over time also and could just be letting excess coolant out of your radiator. i would start with a new rad cap and thermostat and see if that fixes it.

· Hardtop FTW
1,931 Posts
a_zepeda9236 said:
im sure someone with chime in with BHG because that is a symptom.. but it could be other things as well.
this was how we knew my friend's car had a BHG... :doh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.