Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering the new Tein CS for my turbo lexus sc300 because my ca r i 90% daily driver, but i would like to take it to a beginner's road race once a year. Several persons have told me that BuddyClub coilovers can be had cheaper than $1,220, are much better design and quality than the tein CS. What do you all think? (i want to increase handling performance, but retain as much comfort as possible since i frequently make long road trips & see bad roads) Please tell me your opinions! :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
dejacky said:
I've been considering the new Tein CS for my turbo lexus sc300 because my ca r i 90% daily driver, but i would like to take it to a beginner's road race once a year. Several persons have told me that BuddyClub coilovers can be had cheaper than $1,220, are much better design and quality than the tein CS. What do you all think? (i want to increase handling performance, but retain as much comfort as possible since i frequently make long road trips & see bad roads) Please tell me your opinions! :)

didnt the modelista (sp?) supra that was in super street mag have buddy clubs?

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
onlylexus8 said:
didnt the modelista (sp?) supra that was in super street mag have buddy clubs?

yep, it gets the job done , and it's a monotube coilover.

i'll let you know how it does once it gets some more track time ;) they are stiff btw

but then again most coilovers are stiff

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
if you ever get your car together that is. :p

I'll be setting up Curtis' car here in the next 30 days or so. I can give some feedback once I've been in them a little bit more.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I hear good feedback on these coilovers from my friend w/ a s2000. I guess the s2k people are in love with these at the track.

I would suggest corner balancing your car also to get the ultimate performance out of your suspension!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the tein flex in my SC300 (along with tt sway bars) and after 4 track event I am very happy. The springs are about 30% stiffer than the eibachs I had in previously

EDFC makes it easy to use a stiff setting (2/1) for the track, medium (11/11) for the street and soft (14/14) for rough roads

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been brought to my attention the reason the MADE-IN-TAIWAN buddyclub Racing SPEC Dampner coilovers are so comfortable is because they're underdampened, thus making them more comfy for street driving, but "technically not correct from a performance/function perspective."

I was also told "springs included on the taiwan built coilovers are almost always sub par. They are typically thicker, heavier, and are hot wound using low grade steel, which tend to prematurely exhibit wear (sag) with spring rates that are not consistent left to right and to what is advertised."

If this is true about the springs quality, then one would not be able to corner balance the car accurately. What do you all think? :uh:

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
dejacky said:
It's been brought to my attention the reason the MADE-IN-TAIWAN buddyclub Racing SPEC Dampner coilovers are so comfortable is because they're underdampened, thus making them more comfy for street driving, but "technically not correct from a performance/function perspective."

I was also told "springs included on the taiwan built coilovers are almost always sub par. They are typically thicker, heavier, and are hot wound using low grade steel, which tend to prematurely exhibit wear (sag) with spring rates that are not consistent left to right and to what is advertised."

If this is true about the springs quality, then one would not be able to corner balance the car accurately. What do you all think? :uh:

i haven't heard anything regarding that, who are your sources?

I guess the only way to tell would be to place the shock on a shock dyno and compare it to other's in the market.

These are the only coilovers i've had on the supra, with my previous suspension being stock and kyb shocks and h&r springs, and i can tell you they feel superb compared to those. I've ridden in tein ha's, ra's, and kei office ones, and in terms of stiffness they kei office are the stiffest next to the buddy club's.

as far as the springs sagging and having variations from left to right , i haven't had that problem either.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
dejacky said:

? you just posted what you posted at 9:35 duplicate?

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply MyKarIsVicious. Have you had your car corner-balanced?

MyKarIsVicious said:
i haven't heard anything regarding that, who are your sources?

I guess the only way to tell would be to place the shock on a shock dyno and compare it to other's in the market.

These are the only coilovers i've had on the supra, with my previous suspension being stock and kyb shocks and h&r springs, and i can tell you they feel superb compared to those. I've ridden in tein ha's, ra's, and kei office ones, and in terms of stiffness they kei office are the stiffest next to the buddy club's.

as far as the springs sagging and having variations from left to right , i haven't had that problem either.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
dejacky said:
Thanks for the reply MyKarIsVicious. Have you had your car corner-balanced?

nope but that is happening sometime after silv.

i have measured the ride height on all 4 sides and how many turns *perches* on all 4 , and they are identical

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
spring rate difference side to side is a big issue, but not one that effects corner balancing. Sag over time would effect that, but that won't happen overnight.

In reality, Tein has had the same problems that you are suggesting exist with the buddy clubs. Infact, it wouldn't suprise me if your fud is coming from someone pedaling Teins.

I can't speak to the quality or lack there of of the buddy clubs yet. And I don't plan on having the springs or shocks on a dyno, so I won't be able to address how consistant they are. (which I admit will make them a little harder to evaluate...)

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
I'd like to hear your opinion on these once you've put in some time with them. I found that they're another option for my mk3 but I haven't heard much about them.

Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
thread revival...any more feedback on these coilovers? I know that MyKarIsVicious won a track comp with these but does anyone else have anything to say about these?...

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
unfortunately, the number of people actively tracking supras is pretty small. So you won't see large groups of people commenting on any part designed for the track...

·
Registered
31 Posts
fair enough.

I'm actually moreso interested in those that are the occasional track go-ers. I'm planning to get a set of these and mine is mainly a street car but I'll throw in a couple of track days here and there.

would the buddy club racing spec be a little too harsh for street driving as it is my daily driver?

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm planning on picking up a set of brand new buddy clubs for around $990US...which is why the BC's are looking very attractive at the moment ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts