Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got the spare cash to put into my stock NA 95 Supra with 110k miles, and I want to get at least 600HP out of it. Will $8k be enough, assuming I have zero parts yet and will need to pay for labor? What have you paid for your Supra builds? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It depends how you want to build it! Do you want to do engine/block work or just slap on a big turbo and work with the rotating assembly you've got now? There's lots of ways to make that work with $8k but you're going to want to consider getting 600hp and then getting 600hp with supporting mods like brakes and a strong tranny/clutch. Hope this helps and best of luck

·
Registered
263 Posts
Paying for labor is going to really hurt budget. Are you going NA-T?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Not to be discouraging but it's a bit of a broad question. It depends a lot on what you have to start with and what you want to end up with. Transmission for example, whats in the car now and what do you want. How reliable do you want this 600hp to be? Do you want to do it on 93 octane pump gas, race fuel, e85, etc?

Including turbo kit, intercooler, fuel system, and stand alone ems you should be able to get the parts you need for around 8k. That's if you buy mostly new budget build stuff and doesn't include labor. I'm not sure what kind of brakes you have, what kind of rear diff you have, and again what the transmission situation is. Alternatively you could source stuff out on your own, put together your own fuel system, etc. If you can do the labor, do it. It's not that difficult. There's plenty of info on this forum to help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im somewhat in the same boat but the diffrence is i plan on doing the work myself and i did a bunch of reasearch to determine prices of parts. Truth is the prices are way to extreme depending on what you want to spend. Example...150 bucks on a ebay manifold or 2000 for a hks. 200 for a cx racing intercooler or 3000 for a greddy and everything in between. Theres some guys that have done budget build singles and made 700whp but in the end theres way to many ways to go to get a "it will costt you x amount" answer ....there are guys here that have spent tens of thousands on there motor alone.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The cheapest way in my eyes would be ebay cast manifold, tial wastegate, ebay downpipe, ebay IC and pipes, pte 6266, used exhaust. That takes care of the turbo side. Then for fuel run 1000 cc top feeds, top feed rail, large single pump, fpr, stainless steel lines, and run e85. The engine wouldn't even need opened up sense most people go high compression for e85 anyways. Ecu is your choice and will be the most expensive single component. If I was going NAT this is how I would do it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
then you have to worry about the clutch that would hold the power. Then the diff and wheel/tire setup to get that power to the ground.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Considering you will have to get a different trans that will depend on cost heavily a v160 swap will cost 10k alone. Your w58 or NA a340e won't cut it. Also are you going to use a GTE or your GE?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Probably the best piece of advice is...take your budget, and then double it. I'm still BPU and the amount of costs that rack up when going to single gets incrementally large. I can only imagine the amount of costs you're going to need. No way a W58/5 speed is going to put down 600hp~.

·
Cardinals!
1,546 Posts
So I've got the spare cash to put into my stock NA 95 Supra with 110k miles, and I want to get at least 600HP out of it. Will $8k be enough, assuming I have zero parts yet and will need to pay for labor? What have you paid for your Supra builds? Any suggestions?
If you're on a W58 5-speed or auto, the simple answer is "no, not for 600whp for $8k."

Your transmission will need to be swapped to something else that can handle it, and you'll need a differential that won't grenade on you. You'll want suspension upgrades and likely new bushings & motor/transmission mounts. You'll need upgraded fuel system and engine management.

..notice I haven't even begun to talk about labor or a turbo kit, and you're already going to be at or over $8k to have the proper mods above to support it.

Your expenses will not be cheap for a different (stronger) transmission and differential. The W58 5-speed manual will disintegrate well before 600hp, and I wouldn't trust the rear end either.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My goal is 600whp. I'm in Canada so shit costs more here but all said and done I'll probably have somewhere between 15-20k maybe a bit more into my Na auto to vvti gte, r154 swap. I'm sure it would be a lot more but I've been taking my time and buying parts when I find deals. I'm sure you could go a bit less but I want something reliable I can count on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Although I am swapping a 2JZ-GTE VVT-i into a MKIII, the cost are probably similar. I wish I could have gotten by with only $8000 and I am doing my own labor. I would easily say to get there you are going to have to double your budget or start with less HP and build up from there.

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
No. Not even if you go cheap and used, which I recommend against. Others may differ. Even formerly cheap parts (HKS VPC/GCC; Apexi SAFC, SAFC II; R-154 and a host of OEM parts) cost more than they did a few years ago because of rarity and most being no longer available. God help you if you need discontinued OEM parts. You need a realistic budget because you may find buying a car already making 600 whp may be cheaper than trying to make one today, starting with an NA car.

Ken.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Consider starting out with a more reasonable goal for your 8k... get a boost logic or DaveH turbo kit and shoot for around 400hp. you might even be able to pick up a kit used if you spend time on the for sale section here. Then once you cook your clutch or break your auto tranny you may have enough money left over to replace/upgrade that.

Or sell your car and put your 8k towards a supra which already has turbo powa... save some headache and heartache along the way.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
No. Not even if you go cheap and used, which I recommend against. Others may differ. Even formerly cheap parts (HKS VPC/GCC; Apexi SAFC, SAFC II; R-154 and a host of OEM parts) cost more than they did a few years ago because of rarity and most being no longer available. God help you if you need discontinued OEM parts. You need a realistic budget because you may find buying a car already making 600 whp may be cheaper than trying to make one today, starting with an NA car.

Ken.
Consider starting out with a more reasonable goal for your 8k... get a boost logic or DaveH turbo kit and shoot for around 400hp. you might even be able to pick up a kit used if you spend time on the for sale section here. Then once you cook your clutch or break your auto tranny you may have enough money left over to replace/upgrade that.

Or sell your car and put your 8k towards a supra which already has turbo powa... save some headache and heartache along the way.

This is my thought also. I would strongly consider this option, especially if you're ok with built auto TT car.

·
Cardinals!
1,546 Posts

Ken.
Please listen to this guy.

The problem being the scarcity and expense of the V160 - something you won't be buying on a budget, and the only easy swap of the R154 being tough to find and repair now.

If I had a N/A MKIV and wanted more power on a budget, regardless of transmission, I'd probably look towards a full Aristo VVTi swap, including ECU, wiring harness, and auto transmission, then buy a GS400 3.27 differential assembly, for a total of around $2.5-3k, not including small parts and labor. Get USDM turbos and injectors with a piggyback with some BPU mods and enjoy ~375-450whp. I'm leaning in this direction for my IS300. If you want much more power than that, the transmission is going to be the issue next.. (and it's stronger than the W58 the N/A 5-speed has to start with) ..either ATF upgrade it for $3k for 800whp capability, pay $$$$ for a V160/V161, or get creative with custom adapter work - cd009/T56/etc.

Note: this isn't covering all the important refresh/upgrades, mainly in suspension and braking, that you should have for more power on a 100k+ mile car.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I kept track of my costs going single with both 6 speed cars and you will easily burn 8k with the parts alone not including labor.

You will need a new trans and diff too as well as brakes for a 600whp car are almost a given. Up your budget to like 12k. Learning how to do some of the work yourself will save some serious money as well as help troubleshoot inevitable issues.

·
hks is the best get the full kit
154 Posts
I see what is going on here...... please start from beginning and do not jump to the last step, because you will be missing the logic behind 600 hp car.

Think about some hypothesis and test it along your journey from 300 hp to 600 hp… like: how the traction will be in different hp level, when I will get full boost at stock twin and mid size single, how is the response using different turbo ,…….. 'blah blah blah'. You will never feel the 600 hp, unless you have experience the 300 hp.

Do you think that BPU supra is slow? 2jz at 400+ hp generate considerable amount of torque that can put a smile in your face while you are sleeping at night.

So, start by stock 2jzgte jdm and r154 for now like others have said.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Paying for labor....No. "This will be the death of your budget."
Sadly with your car being N/A Auto you are in my boat, trying to climb a big wave. Our rear end, trans, wheel/brake set up hurt us greatly.

To be honest I believe if you put your nose in some books and get a service book for your car you can get closer to your dream. The work isn't to hard if you have a bit of room to do it and take your time. Read, read, and read some more. Find someone local to help you if you don't trust your wrenching abilities. I build my IS for less than 4k"but the IS had an LSD already and I didn't push my trans passed 375-400ish lol". Full gte swap and all the supporting goodies. I had to take my time and wait for the right deals to pop up. I did let a professional tune it and I ran a piggy without a single CEL.
If you took the time and watched the fs page here and ebay like a hawk you can score some killer deals. I spent almost a year collecting parts for my build. Deals are out there and if you put in the wrench time you CAN get close to your goal for 8-10k.

Build in stages. N/A-T with JDM TT Ecu"350/400hp"/Save Cash/Build to 600hp/Sell off left over parts/Enjoy the journey.

My best advice is decide on what you want to do, form a game plan and tune out any negativity. Someone will always pee in your Wheaties and say a n/a isn't worth it.......if you want it then do it! I have decided to stay "n/a" and build nice little troll machine, "it's just a N/A_T....."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts