Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of changing the front and rear speakers since they are starting to distort. What kind of front and rear speakers should i get if i dont want to spend alot of money and get decent speakers. I want speakers that give good bass to compliment the stock sub. Any imput would help alot. Thanks guys.

·
Digital DNA
353 Posts
I just purchased some Alpine Type S 2-way coaxial speakers and they are phenominol for the price. Very durable quality, nice crisp highs and mids, and a nice "clear punchy" bass. Not that muddy sound. Definently worth every penny. I didn't use the covers it came with though as they have that sort of "rim" look to it, although it looks much better than some of the other brands "custom wheel" look. Instead I just used my existing stock speaker covers. My car has different speakers than yours though, but I did get the 6 1/2's up front and 6x9's in the back. Also, the tweeter is movable, so you can set it for whichever direction you like for imaging purposes.

-Ron

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think the alpines would be alil out of the price range. I'm looking for something that are probably around...$80max for a set?
For that price should i just pick up a cheap set of used stock supra speakers?

·
Registered
28 Posts
hm... for 80 bux you might want to wait for a car show, or a vendor exhbition of some sort. At least wait for a good sale at an audio shop near where you live. At places like that you can pick good quality car audio for DIRT CHEAP. I think I spent 120 on some Blaupunkt overdrive components at one of those. There were definitely good speakers there for less as well. Pioneer and Infinity both make decent speakers for the price you're willing to pay. I think Eclipse makes a 2 way 6 1/2 that is in that price range as well. I used to have those in my car, and they sounded better than anything I've heard for the price.

·
Digital DNA
353 Posts
I paid like $80-85 for the Alpine 6 1/2's and I think the 6x9's go for about $90 something. I had some Infinity Kappas before in my old car, and they were really nice, but if you like your music a little on the loud side, they cannot hold power very well. Personally I like the Alpines better and they are about the same price.

·
Registered
703 Posts
JZA80TT2002 said:
I paid like $80-85 for the Alpine 6 1/2's and I think the 6x9's go for about $90 something. I had some Infinity Kappas before in my old car, and they were really nice, but if you like your music a little on the loud side, they cannot hold power very well. Personally I like the Alpines better and they are about the same price.
Alpines are nice speakers, but i never heard anything about Infinity's not holding power very well:rolleyes: . I throw 150 watts rms at my Kappas and they sound awesome. Plenty of midbass response, great midrange and good highs. If anything, I'd rather get Infinity speakers than Alpine ones. If you're just going to be throwing in new speakers with no amp, then it doesn't really matter, you wont really hear a difference until you power your speakers.

J

·
0 Posts
In the low budget range, you're going to have to make compromises, that's just how it is. Wait for sales, late November and early December are usually NOT the time that you want to look for stuff like that, but January is typically pretty good.

Listen to a whole bunch of stuff. Don't limit yourself to brand names, or you might miss a good deal on a speaker that you like. You're not going to get show car sound out of a cheap speaker, so pick one that works for you. You don't need to spend a LOT of money to get something good, but you need to be choosy about what you're going to go with.

In general, paper cones sound good, and are very cheap, but they don't last. They're suceptible to moisture and temperature extremes. In general, though, paper is one of the best cone materials because it's lightweight and rigid. If you don't need the speakers to last very long, then it works.

Polypropylene is okay. It lasts much better than paper, but it is heavier. The extra weight makes for phase shifts that can be difficult to match in a car environment. Polpropylene makes for a good tweeter material, although not as good as titanium (lighter and stringer) and certainly not as good as silk. (In your budget, silk isn't going to happen.)

There are other materials out there, but I think that's going to be about it for your choices. A paper speaker will initially sound better, but they're getting hard to find.

Use your ears, and common sense, and you ought to be able to find a good deal.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx alot for the help fellas. Im def. gonna start looking around. Would getting a pair of used stock speakers be worth it?

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
I have pioneer excelon (I think that's what they are) speakers and they are really nice. They might be too expensive for ya tho... I recommend the Alpines, they sound great. If you find Type Rs for cheap grab them cause they are awesome speakers.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
i tried buying the type-s's but circuit city said they wouldn't fit?...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Supradedupra said:
i tried buying the type-s's but circuit city said they wouldn't fit?...
Never listen to those idiots. Best buy, circuit city, and tweeter all have retard kids working that have no idea what they are doing. Just nod and smile.. then go find better quality stuff for cheaper online.

Retail blows.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
CDT audio makes some of the best components that I know of and their coaxials are really good too. Check out The Zeb they have them on sale right now too. Alpine's I find dont over as nice of sound as the cdt's but they are still excellent speakers. If that's all that is available then by all means pick up alpines but take a look at cdt while you're here :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts