Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bugatti nameplate will make its long-awaited comeback later this year when the overdue Bugatti Veyron supercar finally goes on sale.

Volkswagen bought the Bugatti name in 1998 and showed the Veyron as a concept car as long ago as 2000. But turning the car into production reality has proved difficult, especially given the performance targets VW set for the vehicle.

VW promised the car would have a top speed of 400 km/h (250 mph) and the fastest 0-to-60-mph speed of any production car, but achieving this safely has been quite a task. The power plant to achieve this is an 8.0-liter W16 engine developing a breathtaking 987 horsepower; it will reach 60 mph in "well under 3 seconds," according to insiders.

Such exclusive performance is accompanied by an exclusive price tag. The Veyron will cost around $1.3 million, and only 50 Veyrons will be built.

The car is all-new; it has no carryover from the previous Bugatti — the EB110 produced between 1991 and 1995 when entrepreneur Romano Artioli owned the company. And the Veyron will be built at a new factory at Molsheim in the Alsace region of France, the town where Ettore Bugatti founded the original Bugatti company and where he is buried.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
4300 IIRC Steve.

C&D had a good write and some great pics in this past months issue.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Yeah, I read that. I refuse to get excited about this car anymore until real numbers are released for performance testing. It should be interesting. :)

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
The only drawback is that it's gonna be a straight line car, period. It will be too heavy to really get the enthousiasts going in the twisties. That's just too bad. But that kind of power, AWD and 7 speed sequential, it will haul ass. :)

-Olivier

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Another over-engineered, grossly overweight trophy car from Bugatti. Sure it will be a straight line missle, but these days, people expect exotics to be capable track cars also, after all, the comparitively cheapo Viper and C6 Z06 running around at track day events, it would be all too easy to make cars like this look like a $1.3million ashtray. :stickpoke This car has more a mid '80s "straight line speed, especially top speed is everything" mentality.

At least this time they got the cubes, last time with the EB110, it weighed almost 4000 lbs and had a quad-turbo 3.5L, talk about off boost lag. :eek: That car was a financial disaster for Bugatti, too.

I like the exotics that can actually go toe to toe with almost anything and win on the road course, like the Carrera GT, Enzo, and even the still heavy but VERY quick on-track SLR. Light weight, rear wheel drive, large high revving motor, that's the ideal for me for this type of car.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I heard the top speed was brought down to 231 mph due to aggressive downforce aero pkg. 231 mph may not seem too special vs. the Enzo. But make no mistake I'd poop in my pants in a millisecond after seeing one in person. :bigthumb: :freak: :) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Yeah, I read that. I refuse to get excited about this car anymore until real numbers are released for performance testing. It should be interesting. :)
I agree.

Pro-longed projects like these (people can imagine such non-car examples in their own life projects as well) are tough to imagine being mystical FOR THE GIVEN MONEY.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
STAGED said:
I heard the top speed was brought down to 231 mph due to aggressive downforce aero pkg. 231 mph may not seem too special vs. the Enzo. But make no mistake I'd poop in my pants in a millisecond after seeing one in person. :bigthumb: :freak: :) :rolleyes:
Very true. What happened is that they created the car "cosmetically" instead of "aerodynamically". They later found out that with the first sketches, the car would be terribly unstable at high speeds. They had ro revise the design to make sure a few billionnaires would not get killed while showing off! ;)

-Olivier

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
STAGED said:
220 is the optimised speed. If you want to go faster you have to turn a key which levels out the wing, lowers the height of the car, changes the front aero dynamics, among a few other things. and I think it will incredibly unstable.

we discussed that a little bit in this thread - http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273340

1 - 10 of 10 Posts