Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Aspiring viking
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if it's a repost:

Buick and Jaguar (122 PP100 each) tie for the highest-ranking nameplates in vehicle dependability. Jaguar moves up nine rank positions from No. 10 in the 2008 study. Buick, which ranked No. 6 in 2008 and tied for the highest ranking with premium make Lexus in 2007, has ranked among the top 10 since 2003.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iZf407goV06gqCuhz8oVbYeoSXBQD9712DHO5

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/2009-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-Results

Not to worry, Toyota and Lexus still had great showings.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
VERY impressive for both Jaguar and Buick, even with their limited lineups!:agreed:

And to think that it wasn't that long ago that Jaguars were absolutely horrendous (nearly VW bad) when it came to quality (of course Jaguar has been doing well in quality over the last 5 to 10 years)! BTW I have ALWAYS had a soft spot for Jags so this is great news!

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
Very good to hear. It would be interesting to see the differences in Tata's manufacturing process as compared to Ford's when constructing these vehicles. I've also had a soft spot for Jags. Now maybe they'll work on fixing the resale values. :madf:

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Very good to hear. It would be interesting to see the differences in Tata's manufacturing process as compared to Ford's when constructing these vehicles. I've also had a soft spot for Jags. Now maybe they'll work on fixing the resale values. :madf:
Good resale value is of course great, but I also see their "crappy-ish" resale value as a plus as it makes 2 to 3 year old jags very affordable:agreed:

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Good. I love to see big dogs gets knocked down. Why? Because they come back with something better. ;) Having a healthy competition like this is nice to see.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Things never add up with all these reliability surveys. Just last week, there was a report on how Jaguar XFs were having serious reliability issues.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/12_month_car_reviews/0902_2009_jaguar_xf_supercharged_update/index.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/09/report-quality-problems-afflicting-jaguar-xf/
The XF didn't come out in 2006, this JD Power and associates report (which BTW is the one I trust most when it comes to quality) is for cars 3 years of ae (2006 model).

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
That's disappointing that the XF is so unreliable. Jaguar has come along way in the last 10 years and were actually building pretty reliable cars the last 5 or so years. This car could reverse their bettering reputation. Hopefully these are just first year bugs and they get them ironed out.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I like the S Type R, as it's supercharged, came out in 2003, a 05 and 06 is low to mids 20s and you get a 400hp supercharged car with pretty low miles. Port the blower, upgrade the pulleys and enjoy the 6 speed ZF slushbox and whine and most likely over 400rwhp and you'll run some 12s maybe, which wouldn't be bad for a DD as it also got good crash test ratings to protect your passengers. :) I wish some mags gave it a 60-0 brake test result because it ran 14.2 inch brembos up front and 12.9 inches up back. I think its a very underrated car and I've yet to read bad about the reliability. The ride apparently is much better in comparison to the E55 and M5 it competed against.

Guilly mentioned something very important, the quick depreciation of resale makes it affordable to own. A great bang for the buck car like this can be bought for 15-25k depending on what year you want with pretty low miles. 2-3 year old Jags are a big discount for quality. Even 4-5 year olds as well. :)

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Port the blower, upgrade the pulleys and enjoy the 6 speed ZF slushbox and whine and most likely over 400rwhp and you'll run some 12s maybe
My best friend ran 12s in his old XJR with those mods. Now the sumbitch is running a Kenne-Bell 2.1L blower. :yum:

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
I like the S Type R, as it's supercharged, came out in 2003, a 05 and 06 is low to mids 20s and you get a 400hp supercharged car with pretty low miles. Port the blower, upgrade the pulleys and enjoy the 6 speed ZF slushbox and whine and most likely over 400rwhp and you'll run some 12s maybe, which wouldn't be bad for a DD as it also got good crash test ratings to protect your passengers. :) I wish some mags gave it a 60-0 brake test result because it ran 14.2 inch brembos up front and 12.9 inches up back. I think its a very underrated car and I've yet to read bad about the reliability. The ride apparently is much better in comparison to the E55 and M5 it competed against.

Guilly mentioned something very important, the quick depreciation of resale makes it affordable to own. A great bang for the buck car like this can be bought for 15-25k depending on what year you want with pretty low miles. 2-3 year old Jags are a big discount for quality. Even 4-5 year olds as well. :)
S-Type Rs are one of the greatest values out there right now. XJRs are getting down there as well, I've seen them for as little as $18k. Both are great cars that totally fly under the radar.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
S-Type Rs are one of the greatest values out there right now. XJRs are getting down there as well, I've seen them for as little as $18k. Both are great cars that totally fly under the radar.
:stupid:

And I find most jags to be among the best looking cars in their respective classes! One thing the brits can do is design beautifull cars:agreed:

·
Registered
17,677 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Good resale value is of course great, but I also see their "crappy-ish" resale value as a plus as it makes 2 to 3 year old jags very affordable:agreed:
I was very surprised when I noticed how low their resale value was. Never concidered myself in the Jag price range but now...who knows.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My best friend ran 12s in his old XJR with those mods. Now the sumbitch is running a Kenne-Bell 2.1L blower. :yum:

Ultimate sleeper XJR 4.2 SC 04 and up with their twinscroll once it comes out. :D Did he have the 4.2 SC or the 4.0 in the 2003 and lower model XJRs. Did you know what he dynoed? You can fly so under the radar with a S Type R 03+ and an XJR 04+ and the lower years ones as well. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, older Jags had a better quality. Ford overseeing production took the bar down a few notches. Its good to see Lexus/Toyota finely getting knocked down. Being unemployed cause of their slumped sales. They charge same if not more as Union competitors in the way of car prices. They play the same games as the big 3 but expect cheaper and cheaper labor and materials all the time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts