Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Build Thread - 89T - Updated 6/27

Well,
I've been a member here since 2004 and I don't normally post much I normally just read, thank all of you for sharing you knowledge about these wonderful cars.

That being said. I work on a limited budget, but still want things to turn out nicely so I take all the time that is needed. I got this car in August 06 and drove it once. my initial plans were to make a nice car before i make a fast car. however the car had a faint knock and I decided to take care of that first and the right way to do that is to perform a full rebuild. The engine it self had 188,000 miles on it. So i will be starting with a nice engine. Prolly at around stock boost with a walbaro 255, adjustable fpr and safc for simple tuning at first. Then I plan on repainting the car and replacing and re-doing alot of the interior of the car before I do suspension and higher hp.

The current engine status is in a rebuild phase. I just got the motor back from fowler engines here in Columbus ohio. they do alot of high performance work on drag units and I heard alot of good about them before i decided to take the motor there. Initially I planned on doing stock pistons, rods, and a step undersize on the crank to fix the rod knock.

The block unfortunately for me was in to bad of shape to just hone it and get new rings. i had them bore it .020 over and ended up with wiseco pistons. Of course new freeze plugs and it was resurfaced + hot tanked. i also had new oil pump drive bearings installed.

The Entire Bottom end was weight balanced including the crank, connecting rods, pistons and flywheel.

The head was resurfaced .030, all the valves were completely resealed with new ehaust valves and a cold tank cleaning. I also have ARP head bolts and an hks 2mm head gasket. The cars previous owner did not really take care in what he was doing. The head was clear coated and then when I had it cleaned it turned black and most of it was not removed. I plan on taking the time to clean and remove all of it.

The car it self has no visible rust, aside from a small dent in the passenger door and the front bumper it self was in poor shape. There is also a dent in the front cross member where the radiator mounts which was my fault when I was removing the engine to start with. With this (you will see pics below I plan to attempt a repair using fiberglass but if that doesn't work i will just cut another one out of the junkyard and weld it in.

I completely painted the bay using wheel paint which will be heat resistant and be more durable then the scratched up poor condition of it when i first got the car. its not the most professional job possible but there is little over spray and was cheep. I also have a new Brake master cylinder, and removed the abs system completely, with new lines run to both the front breaks.

Below are old pics of the bay from when i pulled the motor.

the tranny was (at least when I drove it in very good condition all the gears ran through fine. I've at this point painted it a flat black (which im sure will wear off around 5,000 miles)

also, i don't have pics yet but im switching to an 2nd gen rx-7 oil cooler combined with oil filter relocation. I plan on either making my own, or buying a forward facing intake manifold to help support a front mount intercooler. Also I plan to do a simple water methanol injection setup to help stabilize and make my horse power consistent. Before i can start putting the motor back together I need engine main/rod/thrust bearings, an oil pump and a clutch.

stay turned for more pics to come, I definitely want opinions on things, but don't flame as it is worthless. If you don't like the way im doing something, say something and say why as i would really like to know.

Thanks!
Jack

Note - This is also on www.ohiosupras.org forums.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
Columbus Ohio man thats what I like to see! Where you at exactly?

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
You know the old schrock rd farms? the old silos? a good friend and I rent out a section of it.
Yeah I know where that is. Hit me up if you ever need any help or just wanna cruise or take some pics man. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, would love to go for a ride, my sup wont be driveable until prolly early may. I always love seeing a supra though maybe if it gets nice next sunday or something...

·
Moo
368 Posts
Both of you should come down to Dayton on Saturday the 14th. Assuming weather is nice there should be plenty of nice Supras out.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Nice paint thinner drums, home made race gas?!? :)

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
Both of you should come down to Dayton on Saturday the 14th. Assuming weather is nice there should be plenty of nice Supras out.
SlowMotion is having a dyno day the 14th...

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
That's a good start for a great car project. Seems you are not sparing any expense, so that's awesome. Also good job on the bike as a DD until you get the Supra up and running:) Also nice to see that you are focused on the ENTIRE car, not just the engine.

-Alex
P.S. Good job on your ex-lurker status.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
.....and it was resurfaced + hot tanked.....

.....The head was resurfaced .030, all the valves were completely resealed with new ehaust valves and a cold tank cleaning. I also have ARP head bolts and an hks 2mm head gasket. The cars previous owner did not really take care in what he was doing. The head was clear coated and then when I had it cleaned it turned black and most of it was not removed. I plan on taking the time to clean and remove all of it.....

.....I completely painted the bay.....

.....the tranny was (at least when I drove it in very good condition all the gears ran through fine. I've at this point painted it a flat black (which im sure will wear off around 5,000 miles).....

....., I definitely want opinions on things, but don't flame as it is worthless. If you don't like the way im doing something, say something and say why as i would really like to know.

Thanks!
Jack
Hello Jack,
You've taken on a lot of work. I'm in the middle of installing audio & PC, so seeing someone else with a lot of work to do is inspirational, LOL

Notes:

- The block still shows gasket marks. Are you sure they decked it? Take a wire brush to the block & paint it.

- Have the head bead blasted to save you time. Cheap, fast, good job.

- Painting the eng bay is a chore. My hat's off to anyone who even attempts it. Spray paint is fine as long as it is close to body color, or neutral black.

- On the trans, I would've taped off the fasteners even though no one can see it, LOL.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
bead blasting the head look like ass IMHO, I've seen a brand new stock head, and it looks much better, the soft aluminum looks aweful after being bead blasted (mine was, and I don't like it...)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The head for me is a chore, basiclly the douche who had the car before me liked to use paint.. theres clear coat on it, when they cold tanked it it started to come off. I agree with getting the head cleaned/blasted or even polished. Im just currently trying to determine the best way to go about it. Im going to try a few things before i take it somewhere to get it cleaned.

As far as the block goes i agree, however they did shave it and what you see in the picture (esp the #6 coolant passages) are defects in the block it self.

As far as the tranny i agree, as far as niceness 100%. however after 5000 miles that paint most likely will be gone anyway. (atleast the last one i did was, this time I gave it about 6 coats but meh)

Thanks for the input, anyone got any ideas about the best way to get that paint off there that is cost efficent

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
bead blasting the head look like ass IMHO, I've seen a brand new stock head, and it looks much better, the soft aluminum looks aweful after being bead blasted (mine was, and I don't like it...)
It appears we both generalized, so allow me to be more specific & rephrase: Crown Cylinder Head Service in Mission Viejo, CA bead-blasted my cyl head & it came out looking brand new. Bead blasting results will vary, depending on both equipment used & the operator. The process itself is very inexpensive.
;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts