Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up! I've been taking pics of my project so far and want to share them with you. I got my Supra from my grandpa when I was 16 (I'm now 28) and it had issues all throughout high school until it finally quit in 09. I was able to store it all these years and now I have a garage of my own to work on it, and I'm really excited to get it started again. I owned an SC300 after the Supra, which was totaled by a bad driver some years back. I took the 2JZGE out of the Lexus and have been storing that as well. Enjoy!

Here is a pic from 2009. 18 year old me wanted stripes so bad that I repainted the entire car just so I could add them. I thought they turned out pretty nice at the time lol! 5 horsepower each.

Here is a pic of the 2JZ before attempting to restore it. Very dirty!

Looks like we've got a valve cover leak going on. This took a while to clean up.

Picture of the front before I cleaned it up.

Picture18.jpg

Breaks needed to be replaced, so I went ahead and got that done. I also painted the calipers a blue color. Will post pics.

You can see where the valve covers were resting and the residue left behind.

I carefully used a dremel with a small wire brush fitting and they clean up nicely. I wanted the surface smooth so they seal properly.

Goodbye stupid Y intake

Nice looking eBay exhaust manifold. This will hold me over until I go turbo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the original 7M motor mounts literally split in half lol. Wow.

New ROUND mounts came in. Since mine is a 1991 I cannot use SQUARE mounts like previous MK3 versions. Just trying to throw in some info as I go along.

This is the 7M pressure plate which needs to be used with a 1JZ flywheel and 1JZ bellhousing

Repainted it black with high heat paint because aesthetics. Turned out nice.

Exhaust installed. It was super easy and came with new gaskets.

Old exhaust - who wants this thing?

New Chromoly 1JZ flywheel

I thought I'd be able to use the bellhousing from the auto trans, but I was sadly mistaken. Totally different. Here it is below.

Here is the auto trans A340E if anyone is interested. I have no use for it.

This is the 1JZ bellhousing which mounts perfectly to the R154 transmission

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time to pull the 7M out - trying to get rid of this as well

Found some 7M goodies in some boxes. Here is a brand new set of piston rings - box is messed up, but the rings are sealed and in perfect condition.

I took off the 2JZ timing cover and decided to paint it a pearl white. Hard to see with lighting but it turned out nice. I used a white gloss base coat before the pearl paint. Will post better pics later on.
Picture25.jpg

Here is a before and after. I installed a FFIM that came with a new fuel rail, etc/ I painted the valve covers blue, but then decided black would look better. Updated pics coming soon. I got the pulley set from drift motion. When taking off the alternator pulley, you want to use an impact, it's so easy.

Not looking to buy new rims yet, but I wanted a color change.

I just used plastidip, so when I get sick of the color I can just tear it right off.

Going to get rid of distributor and use the CPS/Coilpacks. I ordered a new cover for it from drift motion. I'm hoping it's still in working condition after all this time. Thoughts?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the bay after I pulled 7M. Super dirty, and to be honest I'm not familiar with all of the lines on the fire wall besides the ABS ones. Going to be a lot of work figuring all of that out.

Helpful pictures i found floating around on the forums, these aren't mine.

MORE TO COME! I want this thread to be a complete start to finish. I'll start taking more pics of the process for each thing as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this, however if u purchased that header from said place, it might not fit the Ma70 body, the angle on down pipe is off. Chech be for scratch it. Tried it with mine. Will u be using same intake manifold setup? Please let me know or what mod is needed. Thanks. Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'll be following your 2JZGE swap and especially interested how you'll go about with wiring. Are you going to be sticking with factory ECU? Or a standalone?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be following your 2JZGE swap and especially interested how you'll go about with wiring. Are you going to be sticking with factory ECU? Or a standalone?
Appreciate it! For now I’ll be sticking with the factory ECU and upgrading to standalone once I have the funds. I’ll be taking tons of pictures for wiring and the connectors so that people have something to look at for reference.

Those black stripes made it look like a camaro when I first looked at it...…….lol
Dude I know 😭 I’m torn on what to do now. I’ve had those stripes for so long it would feel weird not having them. We shall see.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Im watching this to see how the na 2jz runs on the 7mgte electronics (I have a hunch it will run good as the off boost/low load maps on the gte have lots of advance)

a few questions

are you running the 7m 440 cc injectors / stock 7mgte air flow meter housing

7mgte has two knock sensors. are these compatible with outputs from the sensors on the 2jz ?

if you throw a knock sensor code it will retard timing a lot. you can run a single knock sensor and split it into to at the ecu (a small jumper soldered inside the 7mgte ecu bridging both knock inputs). I run this on mine and it does not throw a code (I run a 7mge block w a single sensor)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are you running the 7m 440 cc injectors / stock 7mgte air flow meter housing

7mgte has two knock sensors. are these compatible with outputs from the sensors on the 2jz ?

if you throw a knock sensor code it will retard timing a lot. you can run a single knock sensor and split it into to at the ecu (a small jumper soldered inside the 7mgte ecu bridging both knock inputs). I run this on mine and it does not throw a code (I run a 7mge block w a single sensor)
Thanks for the follow! I’ll try not to disappoint lol. I get a lot of good info from your posts so hopefully I can provide the same.

So to answer your questions, there’s a ton of misinformation regarding injectors and sizing across all of the Supra forums. The most accurate info I could find is in this picture.

For everyone’s knowledge, they are not all interchangeable across engines. Top feed and side feed are totally different. Low impedence and high impedence are also different. You can use low impedence injectors in place of high impedence, but you need a resistor pack IIRC an 8 OHM resistor pack.

I’m going to run my 2JZGE 315-330CC stock high impedence injectors OR the stock 550CC 13b Turbo II RX7 (plug and play) and are also high imp.

The knock sensors from the 7M will fit right into the 2J but the 2J knock sensors will not work because the plugs are different.

I’ll be using the Lexus AFM but I have the 7M AFM on stand by in case.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Small Update:

Front bumper is off which was a pain in the ass x 2. Lots of rusted bolts and broken clips.

Nasty dent from when I was 16 and barely tapped the car in front of me. They had a trailer hitch and it bent the metal. Guess I'll need to take this off and the to remove dent. I also bought a sand blaster which will help with the rust.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm running a very similar setup. I completed the swap in '08 and have been running the 2JZGE on 7MGTE electronics and ECU. I've since added an ECUMaster DET3 to remove the AFM. I'd love to hear how the FFIM fits in the chassis, and which one you purchased. That's the next item on my build list.

Great work so far, man. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

-Nick

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm running a very similar setup. I completed the swap in '08 and have been running the 2JZGE on 7MGTE electronics and ECU. I've since added an ECUMaster DET3 to remove the AFM. I'd love to hear how the FFIM fits in the chassis, and which one you purchased. That's the next item on my build list.

Great work so far, man. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

-Nick
That's awesome, good to know someone who has a similar setup to me. Updates coming soon!! Will let you know how it all fits.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im watching this to see how the na 2jz runs on the 7mgte electronics (I have a hunch it will run good as the off boost/low load maps on the gte have lots of advance)
Newbie question here: If just running a stock 2JZGE, wouldn't using the accompanying 2JZ harness and ECU be an easier option compared to re-using the 7MGTE ECU?

·
Registered
632 Posts
the cps (crank position sensor) from the 7m physically fits in the 2jzge (non turbo, non vvti) cylinder head.

the only electronics you are then dealing with are the sensors-- coolant temp / tps/ fuel injectors / etc

but its straightforward 1:1 stuff and simple compared to removing the 7m engine wire harness and swapping in a new 2jz harness and then interfacing that new jz harness/ecu with the existing mk3 chassis wiring (if that makes sense haha)

this is only in the scenario where you are starting with a car that has the 7mgte of course.

doing the map conversion: physically taking the air flow meter out and replacing it with electronics that recreate that afm signal is 100% the way to go imho. more precise fuel control than a safc, but has simple piggy back setup.

then, of course add some turbo. it pains me to hear guys running na jz swaps. not like bmw engine pain...but still add some compressed intake air man ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Y
then, of course add some turbo. it pains me to hear guys running na jz swaps. not like bmw engine pain...but still add some compressed intake air man ;)
Yeah, you turbo guys are killing me, LOL!

I do have a 7MGTE that I'm real happy with.
But it's my 87 7MGE with almost 200K miles that I've been looking at for an upgrade. There's quite a few na jz's available near me that it's very tempting to do those instead of sourcing an imported 2JZGTE's.
Another big consideration for me is that it might be easier to pass California SMOG test with the na.

Thank you for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts