Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were going to build a mkiv for track days, perhaps a few autox (for fun) events and still a few jaunts on the road from time to time... how would you build it?

For those with cages, what brand are you running (or custom?). Brake setups? Suspension (still reading all the stickies), etc.. etc.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
is there a price limit?

my dream set up would be

ohlin suspension
to4z or dbb67
3.4L stroker
racelogic traction control
adjustable upper a arms
6pt cage
dry carbon hood
dry carbon hatch
lexan quarter windows and rear hatch
recaro spx's
18x10, 18x12 wheels
3.27 ring and pinion gears
trd diff
no rear seats,
tilton clutch
v mount intercooler
koyo or pwr radiator
brake ducts
ap or endless brakes

i can go on for days.

but hopefully my setup will come close to this dream set up with little compromises

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MyKarIsVicious said:
is there a price limit?

my dream set up would be

ohlin suspension
to4z or dbb67
3.4L stroker
racelogic traction control
adjustable upper a arms
6pt cage
dry carbon hood
dry carbon hatch
lexan quarter windows and rear hatch
recaro spx's
18x10, 18x12 wheels
3.27 ring and pinion gears
trd diff
no rear seats,
tilton clutch
v mount intercooler
koyo or pwr radiator
brake ducts
ap or endless brakes

i can go on for days.

but hopefully my setup will come close to this dream set up with little compromises
Well, I wish price was no concern ;) However, I'd like to keep it a stock displacement and focus on an overall ballance.

Some of ther stuff on that list I already have :lol:

I'm really curious on the cage setup, the brake setup and the suspension.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
MadMaxx said:
Well, I wish price was no concern ;) However, I'd like to keep it a stock displacement and focus on an overall ballance.

Some of ther stuff on that list I already have :lol:

I'm really curious on the cage setup, the brake setup and the suspension.

i guess i got a little carried away,

most of the experienced guys on here will tell you that the simpler everything is
the better it is .

with that in mind im thinking

ohlins, penske or other comparable level coilovers,

bigger brake set up ( although i've heard stock was fine so long as proper ducting was constructed )

Upper adjustable controls arms is something matt andrews suggested to me

as far as cages go, i'm not sure i can live with a rollcage in a street car. perhaps a 4 pt but that doesn't really do the same job as a 6 pt would .
i think the biggest issue would be getting in and out of the car.

anyone else care to chime in?

edit: i left out proper cooling
oil cooler, power steering cooler, proper ducting

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my chassis was going to be a pretty much dedicated drag car. I can gut/cut/weld and mod the chassis to what ever I need. when I say street use, I'm talking about taking it out and doing a 30min romp around the backroads in the fall :)

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
how can you be building a dedicated drag car, but build it to turn?

aren't those 2 mutually exclusive?

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
turbomx5 said:
how can you be building a dedicated drag car, but build it to turn?

aren't those 2 mutually exclusive?
Re-read what I wrote. My chassis *was* going to be drag, but now I have another chassis for that. :sadance:

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
how much track experience do you have?

A built supra is harder to learn to drive than a stock (or near stock) on. I would do somethings to manage the heat, tighten all your nuts and bolts, and get out on track. The chassis flex, tendancy to understeer, soft suspension, etc make the car much more forgiving. If you had a car with the build list that Curtis posted, you'd have a hard time learning to drive it.

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tracked my Viper and my old supercharged TA. I only took my esprit out to the track one time (RA) but I had fun. I guess none of them are pure track cars, but they were not bone stock either.

I wasn't planning on going quite that wild as the mega-list above, but a nice ballance all around.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
MadMaxx said:
If you were going to build a mkiv for track days, perhaps a few autox (for fun) events and still a few jaunts on the road from time to time... how would you build it?

For those with cages, what brand are you running (or custom?). Brake setups? Suspension (still reading all the stickies), etc.. etc.
I would make the biggest investment in the nut behind the steering wheel!
Seriously, I would not worry about power mods - learn to track the car stock and then start with suspension, brakes (although stock is pretty darn good!), tires, etc. Make sure you have adequate cooling and check all the stuff that might come apart!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts