Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about building the custom fiberglass box in the spare tire location. Anyone here built a box for 2x 10"? How do they sound. How many layers of mat+resin did you use. Did you use the side area (jack location on passenger side and driver side) any recommendations on proceeding this project? Can you provide pictures? TIA.

·
651 Posts
If you have never done it before..... good luck.

How thick should the glass be, you ask? I would do AT LEAST 1/2 inch thick. If you build the glass too thin it will "creak" when the sub is working at high levels. The thicker the better!

If you are in Austin, I would recommend seeing Sam at the Burnet road Custom Sounds or even come to San Antonio some day. We have built many sub enclosures outta fiberglass for Supras. For a decent one.. it will run you about $600-$700.

Once you start trying to buy all the stuff needed for the job and actually get into the process, that 6-7 hundred dollar figure will seem like the deal of the century. Trust me on that.

Thomas Kenyon

·
I own a Lexus
952 Posts
ThomasKenyon said:
If you have never done it before..... good luck.

How thick should the glass be, you ask? I would do AT LEAST 1/2 inch thick. If you build the glass too thin it will "creak" when the sub is working at high levels. The thicker the better!

If you are in Austin, I would recommend seeing Sam at the Burnet road Custom Sounds or even come to San Antonio some day. We have built many sub enclosures outta fiberglass for Supras. For a decent one.. it will run you about $600-$700.

Once you start trying to buy all the stuff needed for the job and actually get into the process, that 6-7 hundred dollar figure will seem like the deal of the century. Trust me on that.

Thomas Kenyon

I agree with Thomas on this hole heartedly. Let someone else do it.:) They have way more experience and it is done right the first time. I spent over $400 to make a custom fiberglass box for my Jeep. Do you want to know where it is now? It’s in my attic. It looked okay, but the performance wasn’t what I wanted. Not to mention the time and sweat I put into that thing. In the end I am glad I had the experience, but I don’t think I would do it again. It is better left to the professionals. If you want to see pictures of it click the link in my sig.

B

·
0 Posts
Better yet go talk to Jim at Extream Sounds on Lamar, not not only better coustomer service but alot higher quality stuff. No offence Tomas but all the Custom's here is Austin suck. BTW, they are about to build one for my car.

Chris

N

·
0 Posts
Yea, I usually go to the San Pedro store in San Antonio, but I went into an Austin Custom Sounds once and they had some outrageous prices on stuff. But they had a little bit more high-end stuff than San Antonio stores. It's just the 2 different markets that the stores are in I guess. Custom Sounds is the only decent car audio place in San Antonio, everything else that I've been to is flea-market crap.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
i am going to have to DISAGREE with all of you :D

i built a spare tire well enclosure for 2 12s (the ones i am sellign now) and it was very easy. before that i had only worked with fiberglass one.

if properly braced, you dont need more than 1/4" of fiberglass. they key thing is BRACING. you can use peices of wood (1/2" square pieces are easy to cut and easy to place. you can also use rope. just let it soak in resin for a few minutes, then place it down.

as for cost, with 4L of resin, enough catalyst for said resin, a few yards of fiberglass cloth, and 2" wide 3M masking tape(MAKE SURE it is 3M, other stuff is CRAP), my total was about $120, including wood for the baffle. and thats canadian dollars, not yankee money :D

there are several web sites with instructions on how to do it, just do a search on google.com or the like.

just a tip, use 2" masking tape to mask the tire well. some people say use garbage bags or foil, but the resin will seap through the cracks. i used 2 layers of 2" wide 3M, and then topped it off with mold release (just painted 2 layers on with a paintbrush, the mold release costs around $10 for a half litre).

it took me 2 days to build it, letting the first layer cure overnite, and when i was done, it popped right out, hugging every contour. the well in my beretta was 2.2 cubic feet. easiest way to find out is to fill the fiberglass box with water. you will also find any leaks with this method, so its a good idea to do it outside.

wow, my fingers are tired :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts