Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
M
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of building Trailing arms, sway bars, and strut bars while im in school next week and I was wondering if anyone had any input on what type/size tubing to use for the build up. I plan to build the trailing arms first because they seem to be the easiest. see how they turn out and then move on to the rest.
I was planning on using:
1" OD steel Tubing
.095" wall

If you have any ideas or input please respond. Thanks ahead of time.

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
Maybe you should concentrate on other parts. Suprasport and carbonfiberfx has already some nice trailing arms. We have plenty of sway bars and strut bars too.

my 2 cents.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
build them for yourself, shouldnt cost you more than $50 for materials fo the trailing arms. that size sounds good. www.mcmaster.com sells the heim joints/ball joints you can use for the ends, or you can do a simple bolts, either will work. look at the SS and CFX arms for ideas.

sway bars you could make, but im not sure what size you should go with. maybe just measure the stock sway bar diameter, and make them the same size, but solid (stock are hollow IIRC).

if you build a strut bar (front) make it a tri bar, so it goes from left strut tower > firewall > right tower. this has been proven to work better than a standard tower to tower bar.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Sway bars are heat treated spring steel....

M
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CK: I'll ask my instructor about the sway bars and get back to you. What you say makes sense but I wanna know for sure.

As far as the strut tower bars go, you guys think that the 3 post would be the best?

I was also thinking about making a stabilizer bar that went behind my seats and over the "tranny tunnel" tied in somehow with my roll cage. I'm also going to weld up my seems on the unibody for more stiffness. We'll see how it goes. I'll take mad pictures and update my progress. :D

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
1. if you have a cage, you don't need a RXB sort of thing

2. if you seam welld, pray that you NEVER get in an accident. seam welding destroys the car's ability to withstand/crumple in an accident....many times ending in the driver's death. the only cars that get should be seam welded are those w/a complete structural cage....

M
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DrJonez: WHat do you mean seam weld? I'll be Tig welding them all up, I was only planning on a 4 or 6 point cage. Nothing serious.
What would you suggest Doc? What all do you have as far as suspension/satabilization?

As far as the sway bars go they are just bent steel not sprung in any way, you might be thinking of torsion bars or something.

I should be starting on them tomorrow. I'll post pics tomorrow if I start them.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You might want to spend some more time on research...sway/antisway/antiroll bars ARE spring steel. Think about what they really are and you'll get why this is so soon enough.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
The arms or the sway bars? LOL
Just a suggestion, if you don't know the difference between mild steel, High carbon steel and spring steel, don't build anything for your Supra, or any other car. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude you have to be kidding me!
go back to class

LOL

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
You want to make them STRONG. :rolleyes:

Mine have not broken and will NOT. I have a customer that has them on hs car and it ran a 1.5 60FT and runs low 10's ;)

Duane

1 - 15 of 15 Posts