Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am bored and I might as well ask now. I have been looking around for components to piece together a system in the future. Everytime I go looking for subs, and amps I end up just not knowing what the hell amp I should piece together with everything else.

I was looking at these components for now:
Focal 165Vs2 Components (75w nominal)
Focal 165 CAI (rear fill)

Subs I am considering, Two of them:
Boston Acoustics G210-44 DVC (75-300 RMS watts)
MB Quart DWH 254 (RMS Power Range : 300 Watts)
Anything else in this wattage range I guess...Don't know what I should really be looking for.

Blaupunkt PCA465 Amp (tested at 71wx4)

I am not looking to spend too much on this setup, but I do not really want to buy any of these things again for a while either. I am not looking for retarded bass, but just good SQ. I don't listen to very much heavy bass music anymore anyways.

I know I will need at least one other amp, but I am not sure what speakers I should use for what. Would I be able to run the rear speakers(60W nominal) directly off the HU and be ok? Or should I really not be doing that if I want them to sound ok? I guess it would be best to run the tweeters to the HU.

Anyways that leaves amps for the sub, which I have no clue what I should really be looking for. I'd prefer one amp for both, but I can always spend a little more for two if I don't need an extra one for the main speakers.

Also I think I will be mounting the tweeters right above the stockers. I don't rally want to cut into anything other than those stock tweeter grilles. On the subs should I mount them facing to the floor, or up at the roof? I am assuming to the floor as they will be mounted in the back seat. This part will be last as I still need to make the damn box.

I dunno, I am not sure on most of my selections, but that is why I am asking you you guys. Thanks!

Alex

·
Let's go Phils
624 Posts
Check out the 2 new additions to alpine's pdx lineup. The pdx4.100 and the
pdx1.600. Very small and efficient. They are also stackable and asthetically pleasing. We did alot of pdx1.100 pdx4.150 setups last year, and never dissapoined.

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
pdx do a good job

also check out the slash series

300/4 for the focals makes them sound awesome. and 500/1 for your bass.

that's the same setup i ran in my car for quite a while, I still have the 500/1 in there just upgraded to the 300/2 for the utopias

or if you want to run just one amplifier you could try the JL 500/5 which should work just fine

and remember you're going to get a lot of bass due to the design of the supra being a lift back, bass is going to bounce off the back and come right back into the rest of the car without anything to block it.

·
Banned
2,721 Posts
500/1 and 300/4 here running 5" Morel Elates up front and 6.5" Audax in the rear. My subs are a special Focal 8" that Focal made for Totem Acoustic up in Canada. They are a multi-magnet system and have a very shallow mounting depth, will take 250w each and play down to 30Hz in my enclosure. Total weight is not much at all and for the price, you can't beat the Slash series and they also have built in crossovers, which helps with tweaking the signal for the particular speakers being utilized. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I had an MB Quart Reference series sub and I didn't like it at all. Not to mention the voice coil came unglued and started to rattle just a day or two after I got it. I'll be moving on to a Digital Designs sub within the next few weeks, it should be a drastic improvement.

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Boston GT42 and GT22
Alpine PDX
Rockford t600 series

Just a few that weren't mentioned ;)

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked through all of your guys selections and the JL's seem like the perfect choice for what I am looking for. I think I will go with the 300/4 for now, and get the 500/1 when I have the cash to do the rest.

Will the sub channel on the 500/5 be ok for two subs? I just don't know what I should be aiming for power wise because I would go with this by itself as it saves at least $300. But on the otherhand I feel that I should get that extra amp for the subs. Agh.

Do you guys have any recommendations on subs? I like the Boston stuff, and the Quarts I have heard mixed opinions on. The BA G210-44's seem like a good choice though. Thanks again guys. Helped me out a lot here.

Alex

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jl Audio 450/4 With Mb Quartz Q 6.5 Front And Rear And 1000/1 With Two 12w6v2 Here. Love The Amps. The Q's Is Kinda High For My Ear. Looking For Something To Replace It When I Get The Supra Back.

·
93 Hardtopper
834 Posts
I have had two xtants in my Expedition for 10 years and they sound great to this day with the same year Boston Pro 6.5 components with a 6.5 inch rear fill iirc and 3 JL10w6's in the way back. I know this is a very different application but it goes to show longevity.

·
1,924 Posts
Xtant USED to be good stuff back in the day....until MTX bought them, then they went to shit.

x603, 603x, 604x, 3150x ahhh those were some killer amps :D

I would steer clear of newer MB Quart anything Alex, but if you can find some OLD MB Quart (Pre-Rockford Ownership) you could have some good stuff.

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
preparefor plug ;)

Xtant x604 and x10001 for sale.....ORIGINAL XTANT ;)

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would steer clear of newer MB Quart anything Alex, but if you can find some OLD MB Quart (Pre-Rockford Ownership) you could have some good stuff.
I do remember you guys mentioning that in other threads on here. I think I'll stick with the Boston stuff, unless I find a sweet deal on something along the line.

I was going to go with a shallow mount but I have not heard good things about them other than being good for boomy music. Not what I'm looking for.

Alex

·
1,924 Posts
they're better for tighter bass, we've had good luck with the P3 shallows in ported enclosures to get a little bit better boomy bass.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
I miss this thread for a few days and what do you know... both those guys took care of all I would recommend anyway :)

A co-worker just picked up a PDX 4-Channel. That amp is badass. Its VERY solid, but still really small, and nice to look at too :)

I run a 300/4 and could not be happier.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they're better for tighter bass, we've had good luck with the P3 shallows in ported enclosures to get a little bit better boomy bass.
See the review I read was basically the opposite. It didn't cover the P3, but from this review (only one I could find) it didn't seem like others would be much different.
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0701_cae_clarion_and_pioneer_subwoofer/index.html

Yeah, I can't afford that stuff. Not ever.:)

·
1,924 Posts
it's not in the nature of a shallow sub to get "BOOMY" bass, but you can get a little extra out of them by porting the box. I mean the physics of the woofer's voice coil kinda prohibit it from lots of movement which is where you're boomy bass comes from.

McIntosh stuff is very nice...SUPER expensive, but very nice. Also their amps are huge ;)

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it's not in the nature of a shallow sub to get "BOOMY" bass, but you can get a little extra out of them by porting the box. I mean the physics of the woofer's voice coil kinda prohibit it from lots of movement which is where you're boomy bass comes from.

McIntosh stuff is very nice...SUPER expensive, but very nice. Also their amps are huge ;)
I think you read my post wrong. In those reviews it seems like they do not reproduce most music accurately other than boomy tracks. The Clarion fared ,uch better than the Pioneer, but it still had some problems. Like I mentioned earlier maybe the P3's are better than these two as well. :dunno:

Conclusion If you're looking for a fast, accurate, articulate subwoofer for your mobile audio system, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you want a sub that sounds big, has a lot of boom to it for playing rap and hip-hop, and fits in the shallow space where you want or need to mount it, the $200 Pioneer TS-SW3041D is probably just what the doctor ordered. Give it a listen and decide for yourself.
Alex

1 - 18 of 18 Posts