Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have an 88 turbo mk3 with 165xxx. I cant decide if i wanna build my 7m or just do the jz swap.. i know if i do the swap i need the 89+ kmember and a few other things but what do u guys think?

·
Registered
83 Posts
What's your budget?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my budget is about $2000

·
Registered
83 Posts
my budget is about $2000
If it were me, I'd buy a front clip and do a 1JZ swap. Not sure if you're that mechanically inclined though.
If you have someone else do it, it's going to be way more than $2k.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is just my opinion. If all you have is 2k Id stick with your previous motor and upgrade it. The 1jz alone is going to cost about 2k after you buy the install kit and other things like gasket kit, plugs, fluids, water pump etc etc your pretty much over 2k already.

You may be able to stay within the 2g budget if you do it yourself but thats going to be extremely difficult to do without all the tools available including a lift.

But then again depending on how worn your 7m is you may have to extract that too and rebuild which will cost close to 2g too. So its pretty much a close toss up.

Its goiing to come down which best suits you. If I were you Id wait till I have a better budget to work with. thats just me though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have an AA in Auto Tech so i think ill be fine in which ever i choose. but where is the best place to get a 1jz front clip?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Close to four thousand with Aftermarket parts.
After Market List:
Front Mount Intercooler
Turbo-XS BoV
Greddy/Trust Downpipe
Exhaust
Springs
Gauges

The 1JZ is pretty much bolt in with the Bic Mounting brackets, no worries there. +1 To new Front/Rear main seal and refreshing what you can on the engine while it's not in the car.

If you do electric fans instead of the Hydrofan (Just some used cheapies) that can be pretty cost efficient.

2k Is cutting it close though, especially if you're going manual (New clutch and flywheel = Pricey).

Is your 7M Completely stock?

First things first, Metal Head Gasket/ARP Studs (And Don't cut corners), after that I'd rebuild it to an extent (Just freshen the bitch up) and start getting set up for a higher horsepower output.

Assuming you have a steady income, imo 2k is a great starting point for a 1JZ swap (especially auto). Order the 1JZ, Order what you need to refresh the engine (and get those mounts ASAP from Driftmotion as they tend to get back ordered). From there start getting stuff as you need it, when everything is good to go it's not much work to switch out the two engines.

One thing to remember is your Wiring Harness will have to be Extened 3 Feet to reach through your existing firewall hole to the ECU, You can do this yourself (It's a good 100+ Hours of Soddering though) it's not as hard as people tend to make, or you can send it to Drtweak (Phoenix Tuning?) for $450 dollars (With your 7M harness) which means your car will have some down time for this one part unless you can nab a spare 7M harness for close to nothing. One thing to consider is that you'll have to figure out the intercooler (Stock on is possible, but most people just grab the DIY kits available with an aftermarket front mount).

Are you planning to have A/C, Power Steering etc. with your swap if you do one?
What are you HP Goals?
Daily Driver?
Five speed?

Also if it's any help, here is my swap in progress thread, I'd be happy to help you with any questions, also a great example of why you should do the head gasket ASAP
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530210

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
I really doubt you will get a 1JZ swap done for 2Gs. Im sure it CAN be done, but youd be cutting it close or cutting corners, either way thats something you dont want to do. My vote goes to built 7M. Do the work yourself and you can have a nicely built 7M with some extra cash to play with at the end.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
the question should be

built for what?

To refresh the engine to OEM levels, It can be done.

Replace the stuff inside with forged everything? WEell great. You could probably chew up all the money on that, now, how about fueling (injectors and fuel pump)?

Piggy backs?

2G, for OEM refresh, yes.

For ultra high perf. no way in hell.

·
m-za70 :)
385 Posts
honestly, 2 grand will get you no where with a 1jz swap. you have to factor in all the little things after getting the clip; ie: replacing all hoses, front and rear main seals, new clutch, etc, etc, etc.. I dont even think you can get a clip for 2 grand anymore, correct me if im wrong. It cost me 1800 just for a motor/tranny/wiring shipped to my house.

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
stick with the 7mgte, might not be a fully built 7m but at least it wont cost as much having a $2000 budget. And for the 1jz swap goodluck finding one that needs little work, they all need work and parts replacements.

·
Registered
303 Posts
built 7m man. You don't even need to do much.... just MHG and arp bolts and you got a bulletproof motor that can take 500hp. a 1jz can take 500hp too but thats another rand or 2 in comparison for u can do the MHG swap yourself and then spend the rest of your dough on turbo upgrade and fuel. I did that but my budget was a bit higher (3 grand) so i went on ahead and shot peened my stock rods and got .40 JE pistons along with it. My head needed machine work too so spent some more cash there. And overall, i'd say i spent bout $2500ish when everything was done. then had that extra $500 there for other stuff.

but its up to you, i seen ppl do 1jz swaps for around 2grand... but they bought the auto package that was on ebay... then again, they had pieces that were laying around for the 1jz swap (manual tranny, 89+ model car, etc.)

But if i were in your shoes.... i'd built that 7m.

Also, i went 7m because my car is an 87.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts