Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 87 N/A only a few weeks ago, and have encountered a fairly severe form of bumpsteer. Hitting even a small to mid-sized bump mid corner, will cause the car to bump steer to the point of me wanting to drive it with 2 hands on the wheel at all times. The part that really concerns me is that while the wheel is doing it's own thing, it's very difficult to correct the wheel. Like the power steering is off for a few seconds. I attribute this to the
steering bouncing around, but am not to familiar with these cars, or to front ends in general. My first idea is that the p/s pump with time has gotten week the point of not being able to sustain enough pressure to keep the front end in check. But like I said, I'm really just shooting in the dark. Was hoping that maybe someone here has had enough experience with the suspension of these cars to help point me in the right direction. The car has 108k miles well maintained miles on her. Her original owner is a lifelong friend of mine. Until I can get this issue taken care of, it will definately keep me from driving her on my favorite roads around here. The condition is that bad. A long 55 mph entrance ramp by my house with very mild bumps mid corner caused me to grab the wheel with both hands and actually muscle the wheel to keep the car on the same line. I can accept some bump steer. But this is to the point of being dangerous..Ideas?

·
...heading for 500+ RWHP
467 Posts
I would check the p/s pump.....do you ever feel the steering waiver (like it's not tracking smooth) at any other time other than when you hit a bump or a hole? Is p/s fluid low? I am no expert in this area but I am trying to help. These are just some stabs in the dark. The only things that I can think of that could affect steering when you hit a bump are....tire pressure....steering mechanisim (shaft play) out of alignment....loose suspension part of some sort.....p/s fluid level low/bad pump......somthing going out in the steering sys.....good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check these things:

lower ball joints for play
tie rods ends for play
steering damper
steering isolator

I'd guess the lower ball joints are bad. If the power steering pump was bad it wouldn't do that.

Asterix

·
Registered
454 Posts
You are not suffering from bump steer, you would need to fully load one side to get a slight change in toe and it still doesn't have a large effect on your toe. It does sound like you are toed out though. I run 1/8" out total on a road race car at it's still drivable, darty though. If you don't have the abilty to check you own toe bring it some were. Your inner tread will start wearing and you'll know for sure.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mk3_300,
Yes, the car does have a tendency to wander while driving straight. Any bump at all will make the car want to change directions. The p/s fluid is topped and no noise is coming from the pump.

Asterix,
I'm a tech at a local Ford dealer here, but I havn't had time yet to bring it in the shop and up on a rack. Havn't even talked to my front end man about it yet. I really wouldn't imagine that a p/s could cause what I am dealing with, but I have seen some strange things. So were all the pre 89 mk3's equipped with steering dampers? What is the isolator? As far as tie-rods and ball joints, I have no idea. This sat will be the first time since I bought the car I will have had a chance to get it in the shop and check it out..

Clifton,
I havn't had it in my shop to check the alignment, but the tires are aged, and show no signs of unusual wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts