Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I stand behind my car sometimes... it smells like anti-freeze from the exhaust...

But I dont think I have a BHG because I don't see oil everywhere and the car drives fine. (When my honda had a BHG, it was like my engine was pumping the oil straight out the head)

What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If you have access to a cooling system pressure tester try that to see if it holds pressure and depending on the size of your leak you'll find it pretty quick. If you notice the gauge going down slowly but can't find a leak bet is you got a blown hg

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
you can still have a BHG and not leak anything. You could of blown the seperator from the water to the cylinder, and thats how you are burning it.

·
Banned
663 Posts
Supradedupra, do you actually notice loss of coolant by opening the rad cap when the motor is cold? That would be the first step. I doubt you are burning coolant through the motor, I have never heard of that in a Supra. Typically the bottom end will give out before the HG because the HG/seal is VERY strong. On the other hand you could have a coolant LEAK from one of your hoses which is dripping ONTO your exhaust, which produces that burned coolant smell. That would be more likely.

Let us know what you find.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well... since my intercooler blew up (another thread :)) i havn't been driving my car and ive been really busy with other activities...

today I checked my coolant level, and when I opened the top, some came out as if it was super filled. The one thing that I did notice was that my reservoir was lower than the last time I checked it.

I had my main crank pully separate on me... which then caused me to get e-fans.. and in turn, change my fluid.

So.. does this mean that I don't have a BHG?... or is it leaking, and the reservoir is simply sucking it up as it leaks out?...

brain: when I get a new intercooler put on, ill try and smell for a sweet smell.

Thanks for your help guys... for what it's worth, I think my valve seals are going =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts