Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a smelly J space motor put in my car about 2 weeks ago. They put in a new clutch all new seals, all new gaskets, ARP studs, metal head gasket new motor mounts etc. the freakin works. My carused to burn oil with the old engine but it was burning oil b/c it had piston slap. I never smelt oil burning or had smoke come out of the exhaust on the old engine till the piston slap got really bad. So I dont think its the turbo. Now everytime I start my car with the “new engine” blue smoke blows out the back and when I’m driving you can smell oil burning, its pretty bad. I have no cats or resonators just a muffler. I also don’t think it’s the turbo b/c it’s only about a year old and when it was taken out of the car I inspected it and it looked brand new and had no play at all. Witch is kinda weird b/c I thought it was supposed to have some play? Anyway what else could it be? When they did the engine swap I had them put on Cooleeze IC Hard pipes. When I took the IC pipes off there were tons of oil in them and I have only been driving the car for about a week and a half. I know these cars have oil blow back but GEEZE that much that fast? What’s the deal guys?

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Sounds like they pretty much covered everything *Stumped* Someone has to know... What parts did you reuse from the old engine?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If there is that much oil in your intercooler pipes, it's got to be bad turbo seals. That's the only way that much oil is going to blow into your intercooler pipes.

If the engine was leaking the oil, most of it would have been ignited and would probably not reach the IC pipes. You'd most likely see it out the tailpipe almost always... then again, having oil in your IC pipes would do the same thing. :rolleyes:

Put in a different turbo.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LordLo said:
If there is that much oil in your intercooler pipes, it's got to be bad turbo seals. That's the only way that much oil is going to blow into your intercooler pipes.

If the engine was leaking the oil, most of it would have been ignited and would probably not reach the IC pipes. You'd most likely see it out the tailpipe almost always... then again, having oil in your IC pipes would do the same thing. :rolleyes:

Put in a different turbo.
I think it hast to be the turbo, but it looks freakin brand new and had 0 play! Would this make the rebuild cheaper? Is there anyway to check if the turbo seal is bad?

Anyone got a turbo for sale?

·
me me me me me me!!!
483 Posts
do you have a catch can.

if not the blow by is going back into the accordian hose. it can leak out of the filter and you'll smell it, then some oil will get in the piping.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
tunaman said:
do you have a catch can.

if not the blow by is going back into the accordian hose. it can leak out of the filter and you'll smell it, then some oil will get in the piping.
That might be part of the case, but I doubt it could generate that much engine oil.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
D-Shot said:
I think it hast to be the turbo, but it looks freakin brand new and had 0 play! Would this make the rebuild cheaper? Is there anyway to check if the turbo seal is bad?

Anyone got a turbo for sale?
Hey when you first started up the engine, did you prime it first? Pull out the ignitor and use the starter to crank the engine until there was oil pressure? You can easily blow turbos by not priming the engine.

Did they replace the valve stems? Bad valve stems could cause engine oil to leak into the cylinders.

If there is just a small amount of engine oil in the intercooler pipes, it's usually ok as long as it's just a thin film of engine oil. If it's close to 1 qt of oil or more, then yeah most definately your turbo seals are gone.

I don't think shaft play tells you anything about the seals though. It just tells you that the shaft bearings are still in good condition... however, run it with bad seals and you will start to see some play in the shaft.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LordLo said:
Hey when you first started up the engine, did you prime it first? Pull out the ignitor and use the starter to crank the engine until there was oil pressure? You can easily blow turbos by not priming the engine.

Did they replace the valve stems? Bad valve stems could cause engine oil to leak into the cylinders.

If there is just a small amount of engine oil in the intercooler pipes, it's usually ok as long as it's just a thin film of engine oil. If it's close to 1 qt of oil or more, then yeah most definately your turbo seals are gone.

I don't think shaft play tells you anything about the seals though. It just tells you that the shaft bearings are still in good condition... however, run it with bad seals and you will start to see some play in the shaft.

I bet you anything they didn’t prime the engine. I will ask. In the IC pipes there was a lot of oil for only driving for about a week or 2. It was goopy in some places. In 2 weeks of driving it the car was a qt low.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LordLo said:
Borrow a friends turbo. :)

I don’t have any friends :(

Naa all my lame friends have M3s or trucks.

I do have a turbo from my 91 but I don’t know the shape of it. I think its kinda beat up.

Oh and if you are talking about a friend that owns a supra, well I don’t know anyone and I have owned a supra for 5 years. Pretty lame, I need to go to more meets. If my supras ever work.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
D-Shot said:
I don’t have any friends :(

Naa all my lame friends have M3s or trucks.

I do have a turbo from my 91 but I don’t know the shape of it. I think its kinda beat up.

Oh and if you are talking about a friend that owns a supra, well I don’t know anyone and I have owned a supra for 5 years. Pretty lame, I need to go to more meets. If my supras ever work.
In that case, you need to organize a meet close by and we all can come over to you :) Im always down for a drive ...

Check the front to back play and side to side play on the turbo wheels....from the '91, if there is excessive play than that turbo is no good, if minimal play, then u may be able to use it.
U can do the same for the one in your car to see if that could be the prolem..ecessive play will either make the turbo hoot and howl like an dOwl, or jst blow smoke...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts