Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As probably some of you may know, David Buschur of Buschur Racing recently acquired his own bone stock supra with the intent of using it as a base for checking out mods that he intends to fabricate and sell for the supra. He did a real nice writeup on his dyno results for intake/exhaust changes. It's nice to see someone systematically comparing the options. Here is his message to the MKVI list. I'd say just dropping in a K&N filter and an exhaust pipe for a net gain of 65 rwhp is pretty impressive, especially since it was only about 7% less than just an open intake and pipe! If I did any mods to my red supra, it would be no more than that.
----------------------------

Hi guys,

I posted once before to you guys. My name is David Buschur and I am the president of Buschur Racing, Inc. We have specialized in the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Talon, Laser and Galant VR-4's for over 11 years. We just recently moved into the Supra market.

I really want to supply you guys with parts and we will do what it takes to get your business. Since my last post we have had a few guys call and we appreciate the shot at your business.

We just finished our exhaust for the cars this weekend. The car I bought is a 1994 TT auto. The car has 72,000 miles on it and is bone stock. We took a different approach to the exhaust system. Everyone else is offering an exhaust that starts at the back of the second cat and then goes to the muffler. We have made our cat back eliminate the second cat and bolt to the bottom of the front cat. So our complete system consists of a short down pipe to eliminate the front cat and then the cat back. The entire system is 3.5" mandrel bent stainless and we use a straight through stainless steel muffler with a four inch polished stainless steel tip. The tip runs straight out the back of the car so it looks like it is suppose to. The prototype is at the bender now being reproduced. It says it will be about 2 weeks for the production pieces. The entire system, all done in 304 stainless steel and mandrel bent should run no more than $900.

We dyno'd the car bone stock before starting all the mods we are going to do. My car made a peak of 273.1 HP at 5700 rpm at 6700 it was down to 242 hp.

We wanted to try a few things as we went along so the next run we made we did it with completely open exhaust, no cats, no exhuast tubing, just a short dump off the turbo. The car still had the stock complete airbox and aircleaner installed, factory boost levels, no boost control.

The HP jumped to 303.1 peak at 5800 rpm and at 6700 was down to 290 hp. So a gain of 30 peak hp and 48 hp at "redline".

Next we completely removed the aircleaner, the car picked up another, you aren't going to believe this, 40.6 hp. I couldn't freaking believe that so I put it back in and it lost the same amount.

I made up a quick and easy to install adapter and installed an open element K&N. The car gained more HP than running without the aircleaner. It gained another 2 hp. The peak HP was now up to 345.7 at 5900 rpm and still had 331 HP at 6700. The curve on the dyno was really nice, smoother than without the aircleaner. I have now made up a few of these for resale. It includes the clamps, adapter and the aircleaner, cost is $95. It completely eliminates the factory airbox and intake on top of the radiator.

Now, last but not least we put on our full 3.5" exhaust. As I said it runs from the bottom of the turbo to the tip. The car did loose HP, but of course you don't want to drive around without an exhaust and boost creep was definetly worse before the exhaust went back on. The car still made 338.3 HP at 5700 rpm, that's only 7.4 hp less than a dump off the back of the turbo. The exhaust at idle has a ton of base. I thought at first it was going to be too loud and I was going to re-do it. I was wrong. This is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard. Cruising at 60 mph you can hardly tell the difference from stock, at WOT it's nothing but sweet.

As far as quality goes we will have the best you can get, as far as pricing, I think at $900 for a complete mandrel bent stainless exhaust goes there isn't anything else even close.

Someone just posted about the cams for the Supra and a group buy. I checked into it and anyone interested in the Crower equivalent to the 264/272 HKS combination we can do them for you for the same $660, no minimum, just call and order them. Crower suggest changing the springs too with those cams. If you need them we can do the Crower springs for $150 a set and if you want titanium retainers we can give you the set at $210.

Thanks alot, hope the information I provide proves helpful.

David Buschur
Buschur Racing, Inc.

If you call please go to extension 1 for sales and ask for Tym.

·
Administrator
17,222 Posts
This is exciting news! Buschur Racing is one of the foremost DSM tuners and have achieved considerable success with those cars. I'm very optimistic to see what they can accomplish with the MKIV, which I see as a vastly improved starting point! :D

P

·
0 Posts
This is gonna be good!

I can't to see what they come up with for Single turbo applications!

Jay

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Despite the obvious gushing, I was more excited about the fact that he is taking a very disciplined approach to his mod development AND sharing his results with the supra community. Yes, there's a retread of common info here but I haven't seen any vendor actually publicize the whole process.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Those seem like pretty good numbers to me. I've seen guys put down 360s or less on 17-18 pounds of boost and no cats. But I agree with Guilly it should not have picked up 40 horses from just and intake (that air filter must have been REALLY scary).

I don't think we should really make judgements on what they have until we see it. It'll be good for supras in general, its not like we've seen incredible results in the past (no sarcasm). The first really fast shop car was probably the Sound Performance one or maybe a car from Power House. But most of the results have been kinda disappointing considering Ryan's and Saad's cars both run 10's and most of the shop race cars run about the same. Things had gotten pretty stale until that Sound Performance tranny and car came out. Maybe they can stir things up a little bit.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Don't get TOO escited. Realize that for some reason the car he used was DOWN on power stock, probably due to an excessevily restricted, exhaust, cats, or airbox (or a combination). 273 RWHP is low for a Supra TT. So the gain seen is not as good as it seems.

BTW we dynoed Tozer's 98 Supra with an HKS mushrom filter, PE and RMM dpipe in early 1998 and it did 34X RWHP. This was at "stock" boost level. So the gains Buschur saw are normal....

BTW I think the car in question, Buschur's, had some "issue" with the airbox. We have tested intakes on the dyno and saw very small differences in RWHP.

Having said all that, Buschur is a trustworthy tuner, but there's no magic to what he has done, this has been done for years now....

Just my 2 cents....

·
Administrator
17,222 Posts
Guilly,

It's not so much that...but it's always exciting to see more tuners get involved, especially innovative ones who aren't afraid to try new things. Could lead to some cool developments...only time will tell.

Steve

J

·
0 Posts
It's just nice to see someone who isn't going to BS you about parts, and will have fair prices for our cars.

A

·
0 Posts
Hi Guys, and warm greetings from the DSM world. :)

We tripped over your post about Dave here, and I just had to stop for a moment and reply...

Dave is without a doubt, just about the most respected DSM guy around.
Period.
He even runs our annual DSM Shootout, at Norwalk Raceway Park, in July. If the All-Import Event gets organized for the Sunday of our weekend (as it has in the past), I would encourage all of you in the vicinity of Norwalk, Ohio, to drop by and check it all out.

His logical approach, and Dyno-backed details, are just a few of his strong points.

The information sharing thing, or his willingness to share in the process, is something that the DSM guys have all done since the early days. But, you're right, Dave doing it, is a large exception in his "industry".

Anyhow, not that you guys need my input, or that Dave needs anyone backing him up...
I just wanted to post and say, that if there is anyone in the world you can trust to work on your car, or supply quality parts for it...

...Dave is THAT guy.

[ March 05, 2001: Message edited by: Andrew Bienhaus ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts