Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess some sort of outter ring came loose on the harmonic balancer. It's not attached to anything, but it cant come off.
It's making all kinds of noise, and is really embarasing.

I guess the best bet is to go get a new/used one, or could I just remove the outter ring?

Is there an upgrade available?

thanks
-Steve

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry. I'm assuming it's the harmonic balancer. It is some outter ring that came loose. It sits just behind the crank pulley.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure whats its role, but when it breaks you need to pull off the pulley to remove it. This only requires removing radiator, fan, and accessory belt. I would buy an aftermarket underdrive pulley, or a stock pulley to replace it. Someone in For Sale had a brand new stock one.

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
Do NOT do this!!! The crank pulley / harmonic dampener (one piece unit) is the 2JZ crank's only harmonic balancer. I would avoid driving the car til you get a new FACTORY UNIT as well. My car suffered a spun rod bearing at only 92,xxx miles and when the pulley was removed, a couple of 1 inch long chunks were missing from it. I believe this to be the cause of the problem.

-Mike

MONSTER said:
Not sure whats its role, but when it breaks you need to pull off the pulley to remove it. This only requires removing radiator, fan, and accessory belt. I would buy an aftermarket underdrive pulley, or a stock pulley to replace it. Someone in For Sale had a brand new stock one.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what happened. I left afternoon from Dayona Beach, to Fort Lauderdale (about 210 miles). About 75 miles into the trip, I noticed this clanking sound coming from the engine. I pull off to check it out, to find it is part of the harmonic balancer that has come loose from the crank pulley. I drove the car the rest of the way in 6th at about 75mph, because I had no choice.

I just pulled the crank pulley/harmonic balancer off, and I have some pics. Can someone please evaluate the damage done by the balancer to the timing belt housing? Should I get that replaced? (see attachment)

Any info is greatly appriciated.
-Steve

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pic of pulley.

It looks like only thing holding them together was the rubber???

·
Banned
97 Posts
The stock crank pulley and the harmonic balancer is one piece. Either way if anything is broken in that area I wouldnt drive the car at all and have the car towed to a shop.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yes get a new plastic housing to go with the new balancer. It will help to keep dirt, water, and oil off the timing belt so it will last longer. Also replace the timing belt since you are in there. It is also a good time for a new water pump since you've done most of the work already and adjustable cam gears...

Bill P 95bpu++

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I've already driven about 140 miles with it broken, which is probabley worse than not having one since it was clanking all around :(

I just got a price for one, and Toyota wants $289 for a new one :eek: That's nucking futs!

I was thinking I probabley dont need a new timing belt cover b/c the harmonic balancer covers the open part anyways.

Thanks for the replys
-Steve

·
SpooooL
591 Posts
bummer

Well, I guess its the outer ring to the harmonic balancer that just fell off of my car. It was making a crappy squeeling noise before. It was loose which cause the belt to move. Luckily for me, I just pulled out of my driveway so I just backed on in. Im gonna call a tow truck tomorrow and get it towed to the shop. Sh!t happends

Glad I bought an extended WARRENTY!!!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Balancer...

The balancer or damper is used to smooth out vibrations in the crankshaft. As an engine fires harmonic vibrations are created - if not kept in check things like bearings get worn quickly and it's even possible to break things like cranks. I'm mostly familiar with V8s but the Supra appears to have a longer crank than a V8 which means the damper is probably even more important on these cars!

There are several methods used to dampen these vibrations, the most common being two pieces of iron seperated by a rubber coupling. This is usually "tuned" for the particular vehicle's harmonics by the OEM but they are prone to fail as they age. Worse the outer ring can sometimes spin and instead of damping vibrations and helping balance the motor it could actually increase vibrations! A broken crank in a V8 isn't completely uncommon when this occurs - especiall if it's ignored and the car driven anyway. Damaged dampers are nothing to fool with - get it fixed ASAP. The price is also not a surprise, especially with an integrated pulley.

V8s will sometimes use two rings seperated by a visocus fluid (Fluidamper) or by weighted bearings that will shift to dampen vibrations (Rattler). Still others are simply dual rings with elastomer rubber that can be easily replaced (Probe has one think). None of these are super cheap if they're SFI rated and at certain dragstrip speeds SFI rated dampers are REQUIRED. I take it no one as created such a thing for the Supra? That's not cool becaue if these suffer the same sorts of problems as they do in the V8 world having one explode at 6K RPM going down the track (or otherwise) would really suck - there's a TON of energy stored in that thing at those speeds and it's sudden release could trash the crank\engine as well as the engine bay when it flew apart. Hrm....:eek:

·
1,219 Posts
Re: Balancer...

Thanks for the info......this corroborates my theory of why my motor suffered a spun rod bearing at a relatively low mileage..... (and since I've never heard of a broken broken 2JZ crank at ANY level, the bearing would surely be the next point of failure).

-Mike

BLKMGK said:
The balancer or damper is used to smooth out vibrations in the crankshaft. As an engine fires harmonic vibrations are created - if not kept in check things like bearings get worn quickly and it's even possible to break things like cranks. I'm mostly familiar with V8s but the Supra appears to have a longer crank than a V8 which means the damper is probably even more important on these cars!

There are several methods used to dampen these vibrations, the most common being two pieces of iron seperated by a rubber coupling. This is usually "tuned" for the particular vehicle's harmonics by the OEM but they are prone to fail as they age. Worse the outer ring can sometimes spin and instead of damping vibrations and helping balance the motor it could actually increase vibrations! A broken crank in a V8 isn't completely uncommon when this occurs - especiall if it's ignored and the car driven anyway. Damaged dampers are nothing to fool with - get it fixed ASAP. The price is also not a surprise, especially with an integrated pulley.

V8s will sometimes use two rings seperated by a visocus fluid (Fluidamper) or by weighted bearings that will shift to dampen vibrations (Rattler). Still others are simply dual rings with elastomer rubber that can be easily replaced (Probe has one think). None of these are super cheap if they're SFI rated and at certain dragstrip speeds SFI rated dampers are REQUIRED. I take it no one as created such a thing for the Supra? That's not cool becaue if these suffer the same sorts of problems as they do in the V8 world having one explode at 6K RPM going down the track (or otherwise) would really suck - there's a TON of energy stored in that thing at those speeds and it's sudden release could trash the crank\engine as well as the engine bay when it flew apart. Hrm....:eek:

·
SpooooL
591 Posts

Cant I just buy the part myself and with the help of a few friends who know what they're doing put it on?

·
Registered
922 Posts
There was a thread where some guy was running the underdrive crank pulley and a light weight flywheel. His was getting so much vibration that it was destroying his clutches on the dyno.

·
1,219 Posts
I find this hard to believe since the issue is vibration........although I suppose anything is possible.

-Mike

greensoup said:
There was a thread where some guy was running the underdrive crank pulley and a light weight flywheel. His was getting so much vibration that it was destroying his clutches on the dyno.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I dunno' about destroying clutches but if the flywheel was also bad perhaps it would all copmpound together? I'd also expect a crank bearing to go before a rod bearing but hey, anything's possible!

As for fixing this - yeah grab a stock one and put it on. When you pull the current one off examine th esnout really closely though. It should require a puller to come off if it's like a V8 and shouldn't be worn, there may be a "key" - in fact there almost certainly should be a key of some sort. When putting on the new one be careful - do NOT beat on it with a hammer or anything :rolleyes: Find out the "right" way to install it and do it right. I'd change the oil too - IF the bearings took a beating there could possibly be some metal trying to float around, change it. That's remote I'd think but it never hurts :(

Good luck, hopefully there was no crank damage!

P.S. Most of my experience with this stuff is from V8s but I believe it transfers. One thing I'm not clear on is the Supra "dual mass" flywheel. I've got one of these in my Z supposedly but it looks nothing like the thing that I've seen described for the Supra :confused: The T56 just uses some heavy weird thing, solid (heavy) metal..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts