Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody interested in going to an event at Buttonwillow? I'm going on the 22nd with http://www.open-track.com/ I think a couple of other mkivs will be in attendance. Open Track is a good group that puts on well organized events and Buttonwillow is a very safe track if you've never done a track event. It should be a lot of fun.

S

·
0 Posts
Eric,

Cool, I'll be there also on the 22nd. I'm currently debating if I want to do the 21st as well. I'll be taking my supra and hopefull a few of my friends will be there also. What are you planning on driving? Lets get a tally of how many Supras will be there. Last time I went I was the only Supra there. I had to fight off the 300z owners by myself hehehe..

Dennis

[ April 11, 2001: Message edited by: SupraCabra ]

L

·
0 Posts
Hope to see you there Dennis. I'll be there for both days. If you can fend off myself and another friend of mine in his Black 300ZX (who will be there both days also), I'll buy you dinner. All in fun.

I'm pretty sure that Eric could beat me with so much experience under his belt, and 1/4 mile times, but I'm very curious to see how close I am in lap times. Looking forward to running race tires, and race grade brakes again, as opposed to the Club Z Track Day last month.

It's going to be a fun weekend.

[ April 13, 2001: Message edited by: LeeDarzycki ]

S

·
0 Posts
Lee,
I appreciate the freindly invite/challenge but unfortunately I went to register last night and I was 2hrs too late. The event is already full. I attempted to contact Ryan but he said he couldn't get me in. I may just go just to watch. If I do, I'll swing by to shoot the shit. Hope you guys have a blast.

Originally posted by LeeDarzycki:
<STRONG>Hope to see you there Dennis. I'll be there for both days. If you can fend off myself and another friend of mine in his Black 300ZX (who will be there both days also), I'll buy you dinner. All in fun.

I'm pretty sure that Eric could beat me with so much experience under his belt, and 1/4 mile times, but I'm very curious to see how close I am in lap times. Looking forward to running race tires, and race grade brakes again, as opposed to the Club Z Track Day last month.

It's going to be a fun weekend.

[ April 13, 2001: Message edited by: LeeDarzycki ]</STRONG>
[ April 13, 2001: Message edited by: SupraCabra ]

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by SupraCabra:
<STRONG>Lee,
I appreciate the freindly invite/challenge but unfortunately I went to register last night and I was 2hrs too late. The event is already full. I attempted to contact Ryan but he said he couldn't get me in. I may just go just to watch. If I do, I'll swing by to shoot the shit. Hope you guys have a blast.
[ April 13, 2001: Message edited by: SupraCabra ]</STRONG>

I noticed that too. I've never seen them do that before. I'm glad I actually registered early for a change. Hopefully that means the event will be less crowded because they're not letting people register at the last minute and at the track. I'll be there on Sunday with a white mkiv. If you want a ride, I'd be happy to take you out for a few laps

S

·
0 Posts
Cool thx Eric. Is that challenge thing between Jack and Michael still going on? If it is then I will definitely be there :)

L

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Eric:
<STRONG>
I noticed that too. I've never seen them do that before. I'm glad I actually registered early for a change. Hopefully that means the event will be less crowded because they're not letting people register at the last minute and at the track. I'll be there on Sunday with a white mkiv. If you want a ride, I'd be happy to take you out for a few laps</STRONG>

I hope it's not too crowded. I haven't run with NASA at Buttonwillow before (or Buttonwillow period), but at Laguna it's usually crowded. We've been rallying up interest for the event within ClubZ. So far, I'm going both days,

Glenn Nakata (1 day, maybe 2):

George Kibilov (both days):

David: (Both days)

Andrie: (1 or 2 days)
(Red NSX)

and there might be a few others from the Club Z Track Day. It's going to be a pretty good group.

[ April 14, 2001: Message edited by: LeeDarzycki ]

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<STRONG>
I hope it's not too crowded. I haven't run with NASA at Buttonwillow before (or Buttonwillow period), but at Laguna it's usually crowded. We've been rallying up interest for the event within ClubZ. So far, I'm going both days, </STRONG>

I've done a lot of events with them. They run good events, although their events got very popular last year and had too many people IMO. I think that was due to them allowing a lot of people to sign up at the last minute, which it looks like they aren't doing this time. We'll see what the turnout is like. I've done some events with them in the past where unobstructed laps were few and far between. I hope that's not the case next weekend. Buttonwillow is kind of like Thunderhill out in the middle of nowhere, but it's flatter and not as interesting a track IMO. Bring lots of brakes. It's hard on them, especially if we run clockwise, which Ryan said he was planning to do. They are probably going to run configuration #13: http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/race_13.htm The braking zone from the sweeper to the braking zone for the cotton corners probably takes about 50 seconds, and there are 5 hard braking zones in that section. Sunset is particularly is brutal on brakes. I'm at 125ish before the braking zone. I went off there at a fairly good clip when the brakes on the Talon I used to own decided they had enough. Fortunately, the only thing you can hit out there is the pit wall between sunrise and sunset, and you have to try pretty hard to hit that.

Glenn Nakata (1 day, maybe 2):

Those are some damn nice wheels Glenn has. I have a set just like them in the garage...

Andrie: (1 or 2 days)
(Red NSX)

Never mind the NSX, look at that car about to pass it. What a machine. Looks remarkably like the car parked in my garage. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by SupraCabra:
<STRONG>Cool thx Eric. Is that challenge thing between Jack and Michael still going on? If it is then I will definitely be there :)</STRONG>
I don't know if they got in or not. I talked to Michael on IRC the other day, but forgot to ask.

D

·
0 Posts
Only if someone gives me a ride in thier car...

:)
I live in Bakersfield, so its a short trip.
Dont worry, i've got my own helmet

Dyre (aka the ride whore)

L

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Eric:
<STRONG>Bring lots of brakes. It's hard on them, especially if we run clockwise, which Ryan said he was planning to do.

<SNIP>

Sunset is particularly is brutal on brakes. I'm at 125ish before the braking zone.
</STRONG>

Eric,
Do you usually go through a whole set of pads there? Also, what kind of pads do you run? I've got one set of Porterfield R4s that'll I'll be taking with me, but starting to plan on taking two sets just in case.

On your car, I noticed 2 gauges on your pillar. Boost is probably one of them. What are you monitoring with the other? Air/fuel?

Thanks,

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<STRONG>
Eric,
Do you usually go through a whole set of pads there? Also, what kind of pads do you run? I've got one set of Porterfield R4s that'll I'll be taking with me, but starting to plan on taking two sets just in case.
</STRONG>
It depends on how hard you are on brakes and how good your brakes are. I've gone through a fresh set of R4E pads on my Talon in one day there. The brakes on that car were too small though and they got way too hot (the rotors were glowing) On the Supra, I wouldn't worry about a new set of pads lasting the entire weekend.

<STRONG>
On your car, I noticed 2 gauges on your pillar. Boost is probably one of them. What are you monitoring with the other? Air/fuel?

Thanks,</STRONG>
The other one is an EGT gauge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts