Supra Forums banner

Buy new or USED

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is the question. I thought I narrowed it down to the 2006 GSXR 600, but now I'm not so sure anymore. I figure, I can save close to $4k by buying a 03-04 and have it paid off, rather than financing $10k and putting down $6k and still owing $4k. I don't know if this is logical. I wanted to see how many of you out there purchased used rather than new... And what would be the pros/cons?

·
road hazard
452 Posts
i've had new and used bikes and they both have their ups and downs.

new bike...there's nothing like owning a brand new bike. you get to break it in, knowing its brand spankin new, it has the latest technology. but a new bike comes with the higher cost and break-in time takes a few rides of keeping the RPM moving around. it being a new bike, you might have to wait a couple months before the aftermarket begins to grow.

used bike...you're unsure of its past history, whether its been abused or not, dropped and then secretly repaired. but you can save the extra money for repairs, upgrades, and more money in your pocket. spare parts are plentiful with a huge aftermarket available...for most bikes that is.

when i purchased used and new, i paid in full on both occasions. if you can't afford a new bike now but really want a bike, there's nothing wrong with buying a used bike. there are plenty of well maintained used bikes that need a good home. but if you can hold out and wait to save more money, there's always a new bike with different styling that'll grab your attention.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not that I can't afford a new bike. My whole game plan was to purchase new and finance a portion of the cost in order to build my credit. However, there are numerous ways to build credit, which is the reason why this question was even brought up in the first place.
You brought up some very key points in both a purchase of a new and used bike, and I appreciate it. It was exactly what I was looking for in a responce.
I guess I'll give it another week or so to shop around for a used bike, to see if I can come accross a nice deal on a used.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I say buy used, especially if it is a first bike. Just be sure to inspect it really well for any signs of abuse or neglect.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not my first bike. My first bike was an 02 F4i that I rode to the ground till I sold it.

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,267 Posts
I'd buy new only because you know its history and because modifications are so personal that buying a used bike will probably be buying a modified bike, who wants that?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i say buy used, and be picky. used bikes already have mods...exhaust, power commnders, etc....

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
I say unless you are a competitive racer, you don't need the latest and greatest bike. Pick up a slightly used one and be happy about the money saved. If it already has the "must do" mods like a fender eliminator, exhaust, blinkers, and windscreen = bonus. That's even more money you don't have to spend.

Let someone else eat the initial depreciation.

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
If its a common bike, or something thats been out a few years, I always go used. I really want a new Duc GT1000, but the thought of paying full boat + tax/tags etc is really killing me. Unfortunately its an 07, so Id have to wait a good 2 years to score one used.

Decisions decisions....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After careful concideration, and reading your replies, I've decided to go used. Here is a new dilema(sp?)... I have to do some more upgrades to the house, so it only leaves me with about $6k-$7k to spend on a bike. The bike will be mainly used for Sunday riding and track.
I was thinking, since the bike will be hardly used, comfort shouldn't be an issue. I was looking at a 03-04 Honda CBR 600rr (Black)... What do you guys think?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts