Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently was sent this article from a buddy in regards to Titan Motorsports (yes, that Titan).

Cliffs: Guy drops car at Titan for parts install, Titan employee wrecks car making illegal U-turn (and gets ticketed) while test driving the car, Nero tells customer to make a claim with his personal insurance and that Titan is washing their hands of responsibility.

https://www.wesh.com/article/car-totaled-on-mechanic-s-test-drive-who-pays-for-the-damge/25231798?src=app&fbclid=IwAR0jQN2QRhuC4MkdvhHPJ_ZPIMZ7w7SkOfNU8iXKJQIA-mncnWCab5VQ7RQ

The Takeaway for Me
Be really clear about who is responsible for covering any damage done to your vehicle when commissioning work. If a shop wants you to sign a work order that states they are not responsible for damage/theft/loss to your vehicle while in their possession even when at fault, it is probably best to find another shop. This behavior is likely more common with smaller shops, but clearly happens with the bigger ones too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would buy the biggest piece of shit car that runs, drive it kamikaze style through the Titan workshop/building, and let them know that its "on them" as it was an accident....

·
JetFire
5,192 Posts
That does suck I would get if it wasn't the technician's fault but with him at fault how is that on the owner. OP like you said it's best to understand what coverages the shop is offering before you leave your car there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's a dirty move. Shame on them for that. I don't care if they have a legal shield or not, take responsibility and fix the mans car.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
As far as I know, when you leave your car at any shop they make you sign the standard waiver releasing liability. That said, if something does happen they usually take care of it in good faith. I'm sure Titan is protected by the contract but it would probably be in their best interest to just fix it. Also, that's just the right thing to do, this is DB move and horrible publicly.

·
NiSmO [email protected]
563 Posts
I don't go to any shop that has that. If I see something like that, I immediately suspect that they will not cover other incidents as results of their work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
is the shop required to get you to sign a waiver, if so did he sign one? Are they instantly covered with or with out your consent? Are they obligated to disclose verbally state their policies?

·
Hardtop Crew
6,356 Posts
Im gnna go out on a far far limb here .From what I have learned having tons of friends in this business and over the 10+ years owning my car. I try to keep my car away from any shop. So many bs stories and truths out here proving otherwise. I hope this guy gets his cars fixed on the shops dime not his own since this guy illegally drove the customers car. Such a fine line in the rules. Id say for every good shop there is 10 bad ones Accidents happen but this is where a good shop steps up and keeps its reputation.

·
4,926 Posts
I doubt that a contract like that protects against pure and simple negligence by the shop. A decent lawyer should take care of that.
I 100% agree. You can't sign away your rights, and I doubt you could sign something like this away either. They screwed up, no legal shenanigans should shield them from the repercussions of their actions.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Where does one draw the line? What if someone was hurt or killed? Does the shop get absolved from that as well? What if the wheel had fallen off if someone had forgotten to torque it down? Does that free them of liability?

It's a douchebag move on Titan Motorsports part. I don't know the owner of the car, but I know I'm going to find other places to spend my money. Titan has been brought up two other times lately by other people with issues with their workmanship. Titan might want to take a hard look at their policies and how they are operating, because what they have been doing as of late doesn't seem to be working.

Competition is good for everyone, and FL has a few Supra shops so maybe its time people look elsewhere if Titan wants to treat customers like this.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I 100% agree. You can't sign away your rights, and I doubt you could sign something like this away either. They screwed up, no legal shenanigans should shield them from the repercussions of their actions.
I agree with you and silver supra - I've been told by an attorney that these blanket release of liability statements don't hold up in court.

Agree with everyone else noting "douchebag" move on titan's part.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep, even if it somehow (very doubtfully) legally holds up, complete douche move, shows no respect for your customers and is a PR disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Not waiting to happen, already happened. "Too bad, not our fault, use your own insurance" Does that mean that Titan doesn't even have insurance, since they "depend" on the owner insurance to cover anything ?

Too many other shops that will stand behind everything they do - no reason to go to Titan whatsoever.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea, pretty poor decision on Titans part to try and save a few dollars. Poor publicity and lack of concern for customers is not good for business especially with so many other places to spend your hard earned money.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In the recent wave of bad publicity that Titan has been receiving lately, I have a strong feeling that this move is what will lead to their downfall. Bringing one of your most prized possessions to a shop takes a lot of trust, and Titan has now shown within the last few months that they don't deserve this trust. I am usually pretty skeptical about stories like this, because customers can oftentimes have unrealistic expectations regarding timelines and pricing and thus develop misplaced negative feelings towards a shop. But there are too many of these stories surfacing about Titan for it to be mere coincidence. Their fame and success got to their head, and that translated to greed. And now I am positive they will be paying the price. That is just dirty business.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
48 Participants
Strokercharged95GT
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing